What's new

Match ups?

our first serious match up chart shold come out after EVO, and yes its going to be huge, for example I dont see Royal Storm Kitana doing that good vs Ermac, but I see her Assassin variation being very good against him (for example) since he donest have fireballs, assassin looks good to punish blocked TKPs and such.

E

Eldriken

our first serious match up chart shold come out after EVO, and yes its going to be huge, for example I dont see Royal Storm Kitana doing that good vs Ermac, but I see her Assassin variation being very good against him (for example) since he donest have fireballs, assassin looks good to punish blocked TKPs and such.
I'd say it depends on the variation that Ermac uses and Fan Lift's hitbox. If the hitbox is good, then Ermac's variation that lets him fly all over the place would be next to useless since she would keep him out of the air the entire time.

I'd say it depends on the variation that Ermac uses and Fan Lift's hitbox. If the hitbox is good, then Ermac's variation that lets him fly all over the place would be next to useless since she would keep him out of the air the entire time.
HEHEEH I just made a bald example I dont really know if Royal Storm wont be good vs Ermac.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Speaking of MU charts, I'm willing to bet we'll get at least 1 MU chart within the first 24 hours of the game being out.

If that happens, hopefully whoever it is (if they're being serious, btw), gets laughed off the face of the Earth. >_>
I might do it, I've always wanted to go to space.

Speaking of MU charts, I'm willing to bet we'll get at least 1 MU chart within the first 24 hours of the game being out.

If that happens, hopefully whoever it is (if they're being serious, btw), gets laughed off the face of the Earth. >_>
Dead Serious:

As a community we should 100% be preemptive on this issue. Keep in mind that there will be no stopping the onslaught of matchup numbers in the games first few weeks if only because there will be a storm of new players arriving on the site who want to talk numbers....but we can at least mitigate it somewhat.

Setting an embargo on matchup numbers and tier lists and giving infractions for their discussion would be a bit too extreme...but at the very least I would strongly recommend putting a sticky at the top of the forum titled something like "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST MATCHUP NUMBERS" and explain the frustrating history this community has had with the subject and how very likely you are to be wrong in spite of how smart or how good you are.

Not to hurt anyone's pride but maybe it should even include some choice quotes from some of our own players to show just how little we all know for the first few months to a year.

FinalBoss_FGC

Dead Serious:

As a community we should 100% be preemptive on this issue. Keep in mind that there will be no stopping the onslaught of matchup numbers in the games first few weeks if only because there will be a storm of new players arriving on the site who want to talk numbers....but we can at least mitigate it somewhat.

Setting an embargo on matchup numbers and tier lists and giving infractions for their discussion would be a bit too extreme...but at the very least I would strongly recommend putting a sticky at the top of the forum titled something like "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST MATCHUP NUMBERS" and explain the frustrating history this community has had with the subject and how very likely you are to be wrong in spite of how smart or how good you are.

Not to hurt anyone's pride but maybe it should even include some choice quotes from some of our own players to show just how little we all know for the first few months to a year.
Honey, nobody is gonna read a thread that says "READ THIS"

FinalBoss_FGC

A lot of people won't do it automatically, but rather than copy pasting the same thing about matchup numbers every time some random person does it, it would make it easier to be able to go into a random matchup thread and be like:

"Yo scrub, read this: www.testyourmight.com/threads/xxxx"
Or we can verbally haze him/her until they leave the community.

But I'm an asshole so we don't have to listen to me

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think it's high time we stopped trying to reduce the multidimensional complexities of a character matchup to a single number, and just say things like "hard" or "advantageous".

People arguing over whether a matchup is 5.5-whatever or 6- has to be one of the silliest ways to use time on the internet. I really, really hope we don't get stuck in that x3 for MKX :mad:

I think it's high time we stopped trying to reduce the multidimensional complexities of a character matchup to a single number, and just say things like "hard" or "advantageous".

People arguing over whether a matchup is 5.5-whatever or 6- has to be one of the silliest ways to use time on the internet. I really, really hope we don't get stuck in that x3 for MKX :mad:
I agree, at least at first.
I think that matchup numbers still have a place...but the problem with the numbers aspect to it is that numbers intentionally or not suggest a level of concrete objectivity that they probably don't actually have.
EX. "This matchup is 3-7...not because that's just how I feel, but because objectively and scientifically it is so, so hold that."

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I can picture MU numbers becoming obsolete with the sheer number of VS that can be done.
Either way, I never found MUs very helpful because unless it's a CLEAR advantage or disadvantage, then ppl always disagree. Go to the Smoke forum and it's 6-4 in his favor vs character X. Go to character X's forum and it's 6-4 in his favor.

Not even been released and already talking about matchups. That's a new record lol.

But seriously, please no charts. Matchup discussion definitely, but no X beats Y 6-4 or whatever. Just. Play.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Gonna be major popcorn to be had watching the threads pop up, that's fo sho.

This guy is OP, this same guy is UP. this guy needs nerf, the same guy is unplayable bad. Why did I lose to sonicfox when I was using a higher tier? shouldn't that give me majick armor to beat him? One guys says it's 9-1 another says 2-8.

The possibilities are endless.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I hope ppl didn't mistake my intentions about making this thread. I purely wanted to know if variation vs variation MU numbers would happen since there are A LOT of possibilities...
For at least the first year and a half we can't really say X is better than Y anyway IMO

Actually 72x72 = 5,184. So minus the 72 mirrors, that's 5,112 matchups. Say they add even 4 DLC characters, then it jumps to 6,972 (not including mirrors).

I think NRS is trying to make matchup charts obsolete...
Actually, you're double counting. The MU chart only requires a much more reasonable 2556 matchups

E

Eldriken

I have to agree with it being suggested that MU charts aren't allowed until after EVO.

Someone make me a mod so I can enforce that. huehuehue

Bronson

Noob
Actually 72x72 = 5,184. So minus the 72 mirrors, that's 5,112 matchups. Say thelyty add even 4 DLC characters, then it jumps to 6,972 (not including mirrors).

I think NRS is trying to make matchup charts obsolete...
Not exactly. 72 potential characters yes but not 72 matchups per character to count. ie (Spectral ermac vs Inferno Scorp, or Inferno Scorp vs Spectral ermac= Same matchup ) Every new character whose matchups were analysed would contribute less to grand total as their matchups would already be acknowledged by a prior character analysis. But yes there would certainly still be a lot of matchups.

Bronson

Noob
I can already see it now. Especially early in the game's life.

"Wow this Mystic Ermac is so broken!!! I can't even move. Why can he combo for 40%+ with lift meterless?!?? When I finally move in and don't get telepushed his teleport is so fast! He needs to be NERFED!"

"Wow this Spectral Ermac is garbage!! Why would anyone use this crappy variation over the other two. All he does is fly and then get hit out the air for 40%. He's like a lame duck just floating around for no reason. What a waste. At least let him do more. BUFF!"

Remember this day that I predicted the future. You know it's coming. You know.
This! My god its going to get nasty on here. Every character is going to be OP and a POS at the same time!