What's new

Making X-Rays Viable In MKX

I think you guys are biased towards making X-rays better since you are all relatively good players, but think of the average casual dude who plays this single player and then only occasionally at parties; Making X-rays much stronger will probably make their ENTIRE GAME revolve around getting and landing that X-ray. Super lame.
That would only be a problem assuming they don't also put in an easy solution: give casual players a means to do damaging kombos outside of using x-rays so they aren't dependent on them.

It's really just a matter of them finally adding a "mission" or "trial" mode like many other fighting games have. NRS games have the easiest kombos, ESPECIALLY with Injustice. The only issue casuals really had was figuring out what moves they needed to do to perform them.

Vulcan Hades

Champion
I think you guys are biased towards making X-rays better since you are all relatively good players, but think of the average casual dude who plays this single player and then only occasionally at parties; Making X-rays much stronger will probably make their ENTIRE GAME revolve around getting and landing that X-ray. Super lame.
Isn't that what casuals already do? All they want when they play fighting games is land that flashy stuff so nothing would change for them. Actually it would help them win more at low levels than they normally would.

You probably mean at mid-level of play but even then I don't see why it would matter or change anything. Breakers and enhanced throws will still be the best use of meter. And X-rays will (should) always be high risk high reward. I'm just saying the reward for X-ray should be significant and match the meter it costs.

I know not everyone likes comeback mechanics and some think they're very scrubby for the most part. But fact is they are hype. I don't know about you guys but I want to see more Tom Brady specials in MKX. :)

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I used xray all the time...

I also mained sub zero. :p

It all depends on what type of moves the character has. Like Kenshi... he would never need to use an xray b/c his meter is much better spent on putting armor on his spirit moves. Sub Zero didn't really need to use meter b/c most of his ex moves sucked ass. The best was ex slide for armor.

This is a very good point but it would be easily resolved if meter gain had reverse scaling with combo damage.

This way if you are a really good player fighting a very bad player your ability to do combos will give them better meter gain.

If 2 really bad players are fighting each other then the amount of meter you could gain from simple jabs and 2-3 hit combos would ensure X-rays would be rare or wasteful once you learn to meter burn.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Just throwing a random idea I borrowed from certain KI mech: when attacker combos someone and uses X-ray move when defender's breaker would otherwise go off (got bars, holds buttons), give attacker, I dunno, something. Replenish some meter? Deal some bonus damage? Make defender waste a portion of breaker meter/stamina cost? Something like that.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Meh, NRS seems to treat super moves as nothing more than a tool that lets scrubs watch something cool and do a sizable chunk of damage at the brink of their inevitable online loss right before they go complain on GameFAQs and Twitter that zoning is broken. Maybe one or two characters have one that actually serves a purpose somewhere in the meta. I'm fine with X-rays being largely meaningless because they get old FAST. What I'd like is for every EX move to actually do something.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Agreed. X-rays should have some use. But, no character needs to be like Wonder Woman, where she never uses her meter for anything but super.

Mechacide

Apprentice
Ed Boon did say in one of the E3 demos or interviews that they're looking at making XRs more worthwhile this time. He said they heard fan feedback about how much more valuable breakers were. Can't be bothered to find the video as evidence right now, I'm afraid.

It's going to be character dependent. Some characters just won't ever need to use their XR. But yeah, increasing the damage is a good start, and having them be safe (which most were in MK9 anyway, if I remember correctly). Making them change the way your opponent plays, as someone else mentioned, is another good option, but again it'll be character and match-up dependent.

Maybe they could make it so that you have to get three bars for XR, as usual, but when you use it it only takes away two bars, meaning you only have to build one more bar for breaker or two more for another XR. Would potentially make for some interesting XR into EX combos, too.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
"Viable" lol damn I love how that single word can make amy person sound like they know shit. Just saying.