What's new

Major League Gaming Hints at a Fighting Games Tournament in 2013

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Major League Gaming (MLG) was one of the best opportunities fighting games have had to shine on the bigger "e-sports" stage thus far. With great presentation, professional commentary, and care given to all games regardless of the genre, MLG provided a place for fighting game players to come together and compete for higher prizes on a regular basis, as well as smaller exhibition arenas to showcase some of Mortal Kombat 9's top talent.

With IGN's IPL league dissolving recently, and MLG adding Call of Duty to their lineup, the North American e-sports landscape for fighters looked to be taking a breather this year. But as EventHubs reported late last night, MLG founder Sundance DiGiovanni has now expressed interest in running a fighting games tournament later in the year, via his Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/MLGSundance/statuses/347049054787756032

If you'd like to see fighting games back at MLG for another run, tweet @MLGSundance and EVP of Operations @MrAdamAp and voice your support!

Source: EventHubs - http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jun/18/mlg-ceo-would-love-run-fighting-game-event-new-york-later-year/

Attachments

KingShaz

In the Shadows
If the turn outs are weak, it will most likely be a one and done scenario for MLG. And if they do bring it to NY, I'll be there:)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
There's been some rumbling about Capcom finally being receptive to working with them again as well, in addition to the comments they made asking about IGAU. So maybe we could see a Marvel/Injustice lineup.. Who knows.

In any case it'd be great for fighting games.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
There's been some rumbling about Capcom finally being receptive to working with them again as well, in addition to the comments they made asking about IGAU. So maybe we could see a Marvel/Injustice lineup.. Who knows.

In any case it'd be great for fighting games.
Ya, im not gonna assume its a nrs game and get my hopes up.
Werent they unhappy with the stream numbers for mk9 last year?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ya, im not gonna assume its a nrs game and get my hopes up.
Werent they unhappy with the stream numbers for mk9 last year?
I don't think they were necessarily unhappy with MK -- Sundance said they'd never intended to make a ton of money from fighting games, and that they were mostly there out of love for the game style (and possibly some help/support from Sony/WB).

They know that FGs won't put up the raw viewer numbers that games like LoL will; but they ran them in spite of that, which is cool. And there was a ton of hype.

However MLG started off with multiple fighting games; and by the end, MK was the only one that people were consistently showing up for. We were able to cap MLG Dallas at 96 players, the max they would allow. But those numbers weren't consistent for all fighting games (KoF, SCV); so with Black Ops II coming out and voicing support for Esports, plus MK9 being an older game, it was a good time to make the transition.

Now with IGAU back on the table, and a ton of support behind it, it seems like a good time to make a fighter push again. I think they'd be happy with a really solid level of support from the FGC; and I know we'd bring the hype. Plus with IGAU's level of attention and support, we'd be able to push everything beyond what we could muster as the MK community alone.

Who knows? I hope someday gamers get paid like professional athletes and the matches are all on prime time tv. Thats my dream atleast
that would be so sick, how Korean pro gamers strategy gamers get paid, it'd be nice if someone like a Justin wong and etc. could get paid like that as well.