What's new

Question - D'Vorah Lowering your hitbox to duck mids

Right now, the two I am having the biggest problem with are Heavy Weapons Jax LAW and Cybernetic Kano Knifes.

The only reliable way I can find to get through mids is D2. This doesn't go under those 2 attacks however. B14 can get under the rocket, but since the rocket can be delayed, your timing becomes a bit tougher. A better option to teach them against the delay is F42. I'm not sure if Jax can cancel and block in time. Has someone who is better in the lab tried this?

I can't find anything to get under the knives (especially EX knives). Which would mean jumping is the default against Cybernetic. Except that Kano anti-air.

I am sure there are a ton of other bad projectile matchups, I just want to know the general strat for dealing with the zone game for others.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Well for one thing stop referring to it as 'spam' and you'll have a much better time lol.

Cybernetic Kano and Heavy Weapons Jax are definitely hard to get around zoning variations since their projectiles are mid (which means you can't duck them by the way) but if you walk and block you should be ok. Jump on a read too, if they're throwing their stuff at you in patterns then time your jumps right and you shouldn't have so much of a problem getting in :)

Well for one thing stop referring to it as 'spam' and you'll have a much better time lol.

Cybernetic Kano and Heavy Weapons Jax are definitely hard to get around zoning variations since their projectiles are mid (which means you can't duck them by the way) but if you walk and block you should be ok. Jump on a read too, if they're throwing their stuff at you in patterns then time your jumps right and you shouldn't have so much of a problem getting in :)
I set the training dummy to just spam the same move over and over again. The other 2 Kanos knives are mids but you can D2 duck them.

My mentality with D'Vorah is trying to take 0 damage (i.e. not even chip damage), but I guess a change in mentality is required for those characters.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I set the training dummy to just spam the same move over and over again. The other 2 Kanos knives are mids but you can D2 duck them.

My mentality with D'Vorah is trying to take 0 damage (i.e. not even chip damage), but I guess a change in mentality is required for those characters.
That's not correct. In mk games, anything that is a high will act as a mid if you are blocking. Don't block the other two Kano knives and you don't take any chip, making it also easier to walk and duck since you won't be in block stun. The reason d2 ducks them is partially about hit boxes but mostly about ducking without blocking.

Your mentality is to take zero damage? That's not a sound strategy, and it seems pretty unrealistic to me. Good luck though!

My strategy so far against cybernetic knives is walking and blocking until you're in footsie range. Then if they throw a knife you can armor, or jump over and punish, or bait a kano ball and punish, or just walk them to the corner.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I find just walking and neutral ducking is a clean way to get in, but when you mistime it and get hit it's rough. I'm struggling to implement run into getting in on projectiles, because jumping over them on reaction feels awkward.

Youphemism

Uh no they're not, Kanos knives are highs in Commando and Cutthroat. If you're blocking and ducking they will hit you though. By D2ing you're just really quickly ducking without blocking then doing your uppercut animation.

Yeah 99% of the time you're not going to take 0 damage unfortunately but you can try :p

I just remembered I am talking about the second hit of Kano's EX knife toss. AFAIK, only D'vorah can D2 under it.

When I say aiming for 0%, it's not a tautology. It's just that rather than blocking, I would rather duck highs, lowjab overheads, normal/string under mids and U3 lows.

This thread is specifically about normals and strings which go under mids.

Last edited:

Youphemism

I just remembered I am talking about the second hit of Kano's EX knife toss. AFAIK, only D'vorah can D2 under it.

When I say aiming for 0%, it's not a tautology. It's just that rather than blocking, I would rather duck highs, lowjab overheads, normal/string under mids and U3 lows.

This thread is specifically about normals and strings which go under mids.
Why would you want to D2 under it though? You're just opening yourself up to being hit by the projectiles. Just neutral duck them and you'll avoid them every time.

We'd all like to do that but unless you can somehow react to 15f overheads and 13f lows you're not going to manage that. Also mids aren't duckable, if you're using D'Vorahs D2 to "get under" the mid projectiles then her D2 must lower her hitbox a hell of a lot. A video would be good to see this since I can't get to my Xbox right now.

The thread says "Anti-Projectile Spam Strategies", doesn't say much about going under mids. If you wanted to make the point you're trying to make clearer I'd call it "Low Profiling Mids" or something so people don't get the wrong idea :)

Also mids aren't duckable, if you're using D'Vorahs D2 to "get under" the mid projectiles then her D2 must lower her hitbox a hell of a lot. A video would be good to see this since I can't get to my Xbox right now.
Sorry, I don't know how to make a video. I will try tonight. It does lower her hitbox. That's the beauty of her. Everybody else's uppercut gets hit by mids (maybe by highs) but she can dodge them completely by 3 choices (in order of how low to the ground they bring you) D2 (only ducks the highest mids), B14 and F42. With Cybernetic Kano's knife, it is too low to D2 duck but it is too fast to use a string. I guess blocking and advance is the only solution.

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer, I'm new to the community, so I'm still not sure how to phrase many things.

I kinda suck at long combos, so I practice vortexing, a few corners, and then I practice matchup specific shutdown strategies, so I can get back into vortex and combos ASAP. I should note that this isn't projectile specific, you can also duck under normal mids and hit with a D2. The read on that is terrifying though, so it is more useful to get past projectiles and to get within strike distance.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Sorry, I don't know how to make a video. I will try tonight. It does lower her hitbox. That's the beauty of her. Everybody else's uppercut gets hit by mids (maybe by highs) but she can dodge them completely by 3 choices (in order of how low to the ground they bring you) D2 (only ducks the highest mids), B14 and F42. With Cybernetic Kano's knife, it is too low to D2 duck but it is too fast to use a string. I guess blocking and advance is the only solution.

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer, I'm new to the community, so I'm still not sure how to phrase many things.

I kinda suck at long combos, so I practice vortexing, a few corners, and then I practice matchup specific shutdown strategies, so I can get back into vortex and combos ASAP. I should note that this isn't projectile specific, you can also duck under normal and hit with a D2. The read on that is terrifying though, so it is more useful to get past projectiles and to get within strike distance.
It's alright, we all have to start somewhere :)

Long combos aren't always important, some characters don't even have long combos or need them to win. It's good that you're working on your corner game but I think the most important things are your fundamentals. It's good knowing your character's tools but you have to know how they work and how you can use them optimally in real time, in a match against a thinking opponent. It's all well having all these things you can do to your opponent but you have to be able to set them up in the first place ;) And yeah ducking highs and punishing with D2s is known but it's a good sign you're testing things like that!