What's new

Strategy LOTF's 2 red dash mix-up "Second look" SURPRISE OVERHEAD

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Major Props to L0rdoftheFLY for making this video

Shit is legit, and now i just have a second look on something particular. the 2~rd mixup.

So its a pretty big deal to catch someone standing for a blockstring frame trap with skarlet, the major problem is that most of the experienced players will mostly crouch block to end the pressure and avoid the frame trap.

If you guys are still having problem with the 114~edc mixup (a.k.a Red pain frame trap) to catch them standing after you use a 112~rd reset, this is the block string to throw in the mix, reasons?

If you hit 2~rd in the frame, and lets say the opponent crouches to end pressure, if you happen to have meter, this block string becomes an excellent mixup that will caught anyone unprepared with a 13f Ex Downslash on their face, on the first moment they crouch instinctively to avoid the red pain frame trap out of the reset.

The good shit about it, if you land this only ONCE your opponent will not risk staying crouched ever again, the only thing they will do against it, is fuzzy between the pressure to avoid eating another surprise overhead.

So then, with all the respect you can earn from it, you'll mostly get anyone after a reset with a grab, a 114 mixup, D4 while they get up between fuzzy, or red pain frame trap between the fuzzy etc etc.

I was struggling for a while against some dudes, but this just becamed the life saver. Thanks FLY

ryublaze

Noob
I'm not sure if I understand or know what the mix-up is. What does standing 2 grant you that 1,1,4 doesn't? Is it the +26 cancel advantage on block? Just want some clarifications so can you or Fly explain to me?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm not sure if I understand or know what the mix-up is. What does standing 2 grant you that 1,1,4 doesn't? Is it the +26 cancel advantage on block? Just want some clarifications so can you or Fly explain to me?
you do a regular BnB with a +13f of cancel advantage on the reset.
You go for a red pain frametrap (114~edc f212,1+2~rd~slide).
The opponent crouch block out of the reset, your pressure ends on 114.

Now look at this:
You do a 2~rd out of the reset. The opponent crouch blocks.
You overhead them at the moment they crouch block with ex down slash and you get another combo, or he breaks, or eat another reset.

Lets say they learned they lesson.
you do a 2~rd out of the reset. The opponent start fuzzying
you catch them with the red pain frame trap when they stand to avoid the overhead and you get a 18% of chip instead of the regular 16%

See:D?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Standing 2
Standing 2 grants +26 cancel advantage. After a combo with minimal air hits into 112 reset, the advantage is greater than the traditional +37. The higher you reset them the better. Therefore after Red Dash you can land a standing 2 at 12 frames for free. Low hitbox characters cannot duck it either. This on block (if opponent ducks) into EDC leaves her at 26 - 19 = +7 frames. This means f4 comes out in 6 frames...This could be her go to frame trap vs low hitbox characters. On stand block it can be linked into f2121+2. If 2 EDC hits, it leads to a safe jump.

If standing 2 is cancelled into red dash it leaves her at -3. They may then try to poke or jump. Either way, if at the last second, red dash can be cancelled into upslash to catch their poke granting skarlet another combo.

What Eddy is saying is that most people will duck after a standing reset in order to avoid the f212 string. Because they are ducking, and the 2 rd is unavoidable after some resets with minimal air hits, doing 2 rd eh downslash is the perfect option to catch them the first time. After it hits them once, you are much more likely to get a 114 EDC into f212 string.

ryublaze

Noob
But can't the same be done with 1,1,4,rd,ex down slash? What if they were stand blocking after the reset and you did 2,rd cuz then you'd miss your opportunity to jail them into an EX dagger. I can see the 2,ex dagger backdash into F4 being useful, but wouldn't 1,1,4,rd be better than 2,rd because of the two extra hits and that you can confirm into EX dagger?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
But can't the same be done with 1,1,4,rd,ex down slash? What if they were stand blocking after the reset and you did 2,rd cuz then you'd miss your opportunity to jail them into an EX dagger. I can see the 2,ex dagger backdash into F4 being useful, but wouldn't 1,1,4,rd be better than 2,rd because of the two extra hits and that you can confirm into EX dagger?
From 114 is easily predictable, and its easily armored out of, 2~rd has more cancel advantage and works better in this position.

2~rd on block becomes the same as a D4~rd on hit.

I think said before, if i go for a red pain, if they crouch block its not even worth using red dash, you'll only put yourself into disadvantage, stay where you are with 0 frames on block, and in footsie position do expect anything

ryublaze

Noob
From 114 is easily predictable, and its easily armored out of, 2~rd has more cancel advantage and works better in this position.

2~rd on block becomes the same as a D4~rd on hit.

I think said before, if i go for a red pain, if they crouch block its not even worth using red dash, you'll only put yourself into disadvantage, stay where you are with 0 frames on block, and in footsie position do expect anything
Oh okay. The opponent armoring out of 1,1,4,ex down slash makes sense to me now. Now that I think about it, 2,red dash is great if your opponent has meter to armor out. But even if my opponent has meter, I can still end 1,1,4 with slide if I think they're going to armor out and they'll lose an extra 8% from the slide. In the long run, I think confirming the 1,1,4 into EX dagger and getting that extra chip damage+meter is crucial to Skarlet's offensive game, but 2,red dash is also good for leaving no holes in your offense. So if I understood this right, then...

1,1,4,red dash:
- Used when opponent has no meter to armor out
- Extra chip damage and meter build
- Can be "block" confirmed into EX dagger on stand block

2,red dash:
- Used when opponent has meter to armor out
- Grants +26 cancel advantage so the opponent can't armor out of a follow-up EX Down Slash

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
on big hitbox characters i agree with you...but on low hitbox characters I prefer this. When I play pigs mileena, 114 doesnt have as much cancel advantage and low hitbox characters tend to be able to escape fairly easily. Plus linking into eh downslash after 114 rd can be predictable. The 2 rd makes it less predictable cuase they are trying to avoid an ex dagger to f212...so the ex overhead happens when they think the ex dagger or a 114 is happening so they have to duck.

ryublaze

Noob
on big hitbox characters i agree with you...but on low hitbox characters I prefer this. When I play pigs mileena, 114 doesnt have as much cancel advantage and low hitbox characters tend to be able to escape fairly easily. Plus linking into eh downslash after 114 rd can be predictable. The 2 rd makes it less predictable cuase they are trying to avoid an ex dagger to f212...so the ex overhead happens when they think the ex dagger or a 114 is happening so they have to duck.
You can still land 1,1,4 on low hitbox characters. I think it's easier to land on them than standing 2 because it's 2 frames faster. The predictability part is kind of confusing. I mean against a skilled player who knows the matchup, they would only have to react to the red dash animation to know that you're going to go for an EX down slash mix-up, and they would have 25 frames to react before the EX Down Slash comes out.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You can still land 1,1,4 on low hitbox characters. I think it's easier to land on them than standing 2 because it's 2 frames faster. The predictability part is kind of confusing. I mean against a skilled player who knows the matchup, they would only have to react to the red dash animation to know that you're going to go for an EX down slash mix-up, and they would have 25 frames to react before the EX Down Slash comes out.
thats the point right there...after you do it once, they "respect" it. That is what you just said. then when they go to fuzzy guard the eh downslash, you hit them with 114 while standing for EDC into f212

ryublaze

Noob
thats the point right there...after you do it once, they "respect" it. That is what you just said. then when they go to fuzzy guard the eh downslash, you hit them with 114 while standing for EDC into f212
Ok thanks for the clarification. The same can be said for 1,1,4 though, but 1,1,4 has a longer animation so doing 2,red dash happens faster and can mess with your opponent's reactions right? But against someone who knows the matchup the predictability wouldn't matter as much correct?

AssassiN

Noob
I understand what L0rdoftheFLY is getting at, that's why I've been trying to make sure my resets are atleast +12.
I mean the options differ so much then from at +8.
Changed my BNB now to: F4~RD~DS, U3~FD, 2~RD~DS, 112

Thanks for the vid man, learned a few new things to use and how to mindfuck a little more :).