What's new

Looking to pick up another character.

Nicah

Noob
Hey guys!

So I've been playing MK since MK 1 but I've basically always been a button masher.
As of MKXL I decided I wanted to play at an atleast decent level. I picked up Cassie (Hollywood) as my first character a couple months ago and I've gotten fairly good at her. Run cancelling constantly is second nature at this point although my IAG game is pretty hit or miss.

I was looking to expand my roster of characters and I couldn't figure out who'd be a good pickup. Cassie seems to be a fairly rushdown, get 'em in the corner and beat on 'em type character. Who could I learn that would do something different and help me get used to another playstyle?

I very rarely play online at this point so I wouldn't be able to tell you what matchups cause me problems and counter pick specifically for those matchups. At this point I'd really just like to play different characters and figure out a "main".

Thanks for the help!

xxKYUxx

Noob
If you haven't tried playing cassie defensively, I suggest trying it out. It's pretty fun to do and is pretty effective on some players.

Wigy

There it is...
Dragon breath bo rai cho.

Fun as hell, nobody knows the matchup so its hilarious getting magic pixel comebacks where you take 80% of their hp and he trains your neutral because he legit has no neutral tools lol.

If you can play footsies with bo rai cho, you can play footsies with anyone.

I play primarily rushdown characters also but picked takeda as an alt cause hes good vs jumpy zoning mofos also a good option

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Takeda is different and will force a slower, more measured playstyle.

Sektor has legit zoning, great damage, seems to have a good neutral, nice conversions, etc.

Bone Shaper is kinda ridiculous in that, though his damage is low, he's just good, and easy to pick up and get started with. Of course hes not easy to win vs good players with, I just mean his general tools and gameplan arent hard to execute. He has some pressure, some zoning, lots of shit.

GM Sub is another 'get them to the corner' character, but he goes about it VERY differently and makes for an interesting character.. At least in my experience, no other character in the game alters the normal MKX dynamic like GM.

Just a couple suggestions.. Though I saw someone recommend Leatherface and I second that, not because I know ANYTHING about the character, but because I just never see him.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Judging by your post, I would think of:

1) Kitana
2) Liu Kang
3) Kung Lao
4) Raiden
5) Scorpion

All of them do have Run Cancels, except of Kitana and Kung Lao. All of them are CQC characters like Cassie.

Only Liu Kang and Kung Lao are quite fast and would need a fast button masher. lol

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
If you don't care about winning cyrax will have you spending hours in training with new things to try nearly everyday.

Nicah

Noob
If you haven't tried playing cassie defensively, I suggest trying it out. It's pretty fun to do and is pretty effective on some players.
How do you mean defensively? How would that work? Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Pretty Lady, Sektor, DB Bo and Takeda all look like something I wanna try out so I'll be labbing with them for a while. Cheers!

Snake Sound 222

Tonight, Tarkata feasts
I would recommend any of these fighters:
Ninjitsu Scorpion
Acidic Alien
Any Jason variation
GM Sub-Zero
Bone Shaper Shinnok
HQT Predator
Sektor
Pretty Lady Leatherface

Nicah

Noob
Thanks for all the replies guys! I've tested some of the characters mentioned in this thread and really like the space control and semi-zoning fighting style of Sektor. Gonna be trying my best to get really good with him.
Thanks again!

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hey guys!

So I've been playing MK since MK 1 but I've basically always been a button masher.
As of MKXL I decided I wanted to play at an atleast decent level. I picked up Cassie (Hollywood) as my first character a couple months ago and I've gotten fairly good at her. Run cancelling constantly is second nature at this point although my IAG game is pretty hit or miss.

I was looking to expand my roster of characters and I couldn't figure out who'd be a good pickup. Cassie seems to be a fairly rushdown, get 'em in the corner and beat on 'em type character. Who could I learn that would do something different and help me get used to another playstyle?

I very rarely play online at this point so I wouldn't be able to tell you what matchups cause me problems and counter pick specifically for those matchups. At this point I'd really just like to play different characters and figure out a "main".

Thanks for the help!
Kitana. Royal Storm can be played both as offensive or defensive depending on the matchup. Assassin is more pushing it but still different than what Cassie does.