What's new

Guide - Wrestler THE Wrestler Guide

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
What’s up guys! This is going to be an in-depth guide of how Wrestler works, plays, an overview of his tools, and how all this applies to his game plan. If you like pressure characters, then Wrestler is surely the monster for you. Wrestler has some of the best offense and hits like a truck if he manages to open you up. He has lots of options, along with many mixups because of the added Quad Grab to this variation, and insane corner carry. If you aren't using his tick-throws to your advantage you're essentially playing variationless Jax. Make your opponent’s CRY UNCLE with the Special Forces veteran…JAX! If any changes occur throughout the rest of the game, I’ll be sure to update it. If new information comes along that I was not aware of, I’ll make changes accordingly. After I’ve gone over the guide I’m going to go over options for specific situations and if I find/see any important Jax/Wrestler tech I'll be sure to post here about it.

Table of contents:
The Basics:
Normals
Strings
Specials
Tick-Throws

Combos

Advanced:
Mobility/Neutral
Anti-Airs/Air Control
Offense
Tick-Throw Meta

Personal Touch (Some tech and options I like to take advantage of)

BASICS
o 1 – 6F High -2 on block, Incredible punishing normal, and the starter for one of you main strings

o B1 – 11F Mid -5 on block, solid close range mid

o D1 – 7F Mid poke -5 on block, solid poke that is a starter to a good string

o 2 – 9F High -3 on block, good button that leads to a mixup

o B2 – 18F Overhead, can hold B2 for plus frames on block (full charge launches meterlessly)

o F2 – 13F Mid 0 on block and +12 hit adv, good advancing starter and is incredible for knocking people out of the air

o D2 – 7F High -15 on block, great anti-air with a huge hitbox

o 3 – 11F High -6 on block, starter for a meterless launcher

o B3 – 14F Low -14 on block

o F3 – 10F Mid – 22 on block, advances

o D3 – 9F Low poke -2 on block

o 4 – 12F High +2 on block

o D4 – 9F Low poke -4 on block, good range and +21 hit advantage which means a free mixup in the corner

o 11 - +1 on block and +27 hit adv

o 111 - -9 on block, ends with an overhead and a hard knockdown but has a gap before the last hit

o 12 – -3 on block and good for breaking 1 hit of armor.

o 123 - -17 on block and ends in a low and is hit confirmable

o 12D3 – Fakes out the low, good for mind games and gets a tick-throw (Will go into more details about tick-throws later) off this string

o 124 - -17 on block and leads into a tick-throw, also has a gap after the string no matter what, launches for a full combo in the corner

o B12 - -17 on block and is hit confirmable

o B121 - +1 on block with slight pushback

o D1D2 (Tip: Hold Down and press 12) -5 block and you get a tick-throw off this string as well. Has a gap before and after D2. +25 hit advantage so you get a free mixup midscreen or in the corner after connecting it

o 23 – -13 on block, a good mixup string but has a gap between 2 and 3

o F21 – +1 on block, good advancing string that knocks people out of the air and is hit confirmable, +18 hit adv

o F212 - -5 on block, meterless launcher in the corner, and when you hit confirm midscreen you can go into (See below)

o F212 D2+4 – Good for corner carry with healthy damage

o 3B2 – Meterless launcher -7 on block

o B3D2 - +2 on block, good for oki, and ends with a splat. Gap between B3 and D2

o B34 - - on block, ends with a launcher. Gap between B3 and 4

F3 1+3 - -14 on block with pushback and side switches. Gap after F3

o DB2 (Energy Wave) – 22 startup, high, and +7 on block +10 hit adv

§ EX – 22 startup, high then mid, -3 on block

o DD4 (Ground Pound) – 43 startup, unblockable, launches for a combo. You have to choose the distance (Close, middle, or far)

§ EX – 46 startup with tracking

o BF2 (Dash Punch) – 10 startup, high, half screen, and -7 on block

§ Ex – More damage

o BF2D (Downward Dash Punch) – 13 startup, overhead, launches for a combo in the corner, -17 on block

§ EX – Extra damage and launches for a combo mid screen

o BF4 (Major Pain) – 11 startup, knocks people out of the air, -8 on block

§ EX – Extra damage, has 1 hit of armor

o DB1 (Gotcha Grab) – 9 startup -4 on block

§ EX – Extra damage and combo extender in the corner

o DBF1 (Quad Grab) – 11 startup and command grab you can choose which side to put the opponent

§ EX – Has a hit of armor and can get up to 19% damage (more than likely 18%)

D+interactable button (Air grab, “Back Breaker") – 11 startup

o D1, D3, F3, F4, 12D3, 124 (Command grab connects on block and on hit in the corner), and D1D2

Combos: For combos I’m not going to list every possible combo. If I put “starter” that indicates the start of your combo with any string. (For instance, you can start with anything and do the same combo like 123~EX BF2D…or 4~EX BF2D).

Meterless midsceen:

- Realistically you’ll hardly ever punish with 3B2 but in case anyone wants to see

o 3B2, F21, 11, F212 D2+4 (Corner Carry 26%)

o 3B2, F21, 11, F21~DBF1 (Optimal, Side switch 28%)

o 3B2, F21, 11, F212, D1D2~BF2D (When you reach the corner midscreen - Easier combo, and the most hit advantage 29%)

o 3B2, F21, 11, F212, 124~DB1 (When you reach corner - Optimal damage 31%)

- DD4 (may have to sprint depending on the distance)

o DD4, F21, 11, F212 D2+4 (Corner carry 28%)

o DD4, F21, 11, F21~DBF1 (Optimal, Side switch 30%)

o DD4, F21, 11, F21, D1D2~BF2D (When you reach corner from midscreen – Easier combo, and the most hit adv 31%)

o DD4, F21, 11, F21, 124~DB1 (When you reach corner from midscreen – Opitmal 33%)

§ You can end any of those combos with EX DBF1 after F21 for an extra 2-3% or if you reach the corner end your combos with EX DB1, 11, and continue that sequence the more damage you want.

1 bar midscreen:

- Starter~EX BF2D, Run, F21, 11, F212 D2+4 (Corner carry 32-37%)

- Starter~EX BF2D, Run, F21, 11, F21~DBF1 (Side switch 34-38%)

- Starter~EX BF2D, Run, F21, 11, F212, D1D2~BF2D (When you reach corner – Easier, most hit adv 35-39%)

- Starter~EX BF2D, Run, F21, 11, F212, 124~DB1 (When you reach corner - Optimal, 37-41%)

o You can end any of those combos with EX DBF1 after F21 for an extra 2-3% or if you reach the corner end your combos with EX DB1, 11, and continue that sequence the more damage you want.

Meterless in the corner:

- Starter~BF2D, D1D2, 11, F212, D1D2~BF2D (Easiest, Most hit adv 30-35%)

- Starter~BF2D, D1D2, 11, F212, 124~DB1 (Easy optimal, 32-37%)

- Starter~BF2D, 3F4, 11, F212, 124~DB1 (True Optimal, 35-40%) [Shoutout to Wonder Chef for this]

- B34~BF2D, D1, 11, F212, D1D2~BF2D (Easier, most hit adv 38%)

- B34~BF2D, D1, 11, F212, 124~DB1 (Optimal, 40%)

o End any of those combos with EX DB1, 11, and continue that sequence for extra damage.

Advanced

- Mobility/Neutral: Wrestler’s biggest weakness is being zoned out so I’ve decided to talk about his mobility and how his neutral tools can help you get in and start your good offense.

o D1D2 is a good way to move forward while avoiding high projectiles

o Jax has a solid forward dash that can be used extremely well to get you across the screen quick

o F21 is a good string to advance you forward that takes out people jumping back, it’s +1 on block, and it’s a hit confirmable into a full combo

o BF2 sends you half screen and hits for 10% but it’s a high so be cautious of your opponent neutral ducking and punishing you

o DB2 is a slow high projectile but if your opponent is blocking then you get 7 frames of advantage.

o While your opponent is trying to watch out for your highs and any jump attacks, you have DD4 as well (the unblockable) which launches for a full combo.

o 1 – 6F startup and active for 5F with a high hitbox.

§ Combo (1, F21, 11, Any ender – 27-33% meterless)

o D2 (Depending on height, you can get a full combo midscreen or at least connect BF2. In the corner you can get a full combo)

§ Same combo listed for standing 1 anti-airs mid screen

§ Corner combo (D2, 11, 11, F212, Any ender – 31-33% meterless)

o Air Control

§ As I’ve stated previously, F2 and F21 is a great string and it stops opponents from jumping back for free. It has a high hitbox and you can convert into a full combo (F2[or F21], 11, run, 11, ender of your choice)

§ Jump in 1 has a 7F startup and you can convert into F21

§ Jump in 3 has a 9F startup and can converted into an air grab for unbreakable damage.

- Offense: Wrestler’s offense can be intense with a mixture of good staggers, mixups and plus frames.

o Staggers – Jax has good staggers with 11 (+1 on block and a 6F startup), advancing mids with F2 (0 on block) and F21 (+1 on block), while your opponent respects your frames you can go for raw command grabs, and the good ol fashion 12 string (6F startup and -3 on block). The options off 12 are quite overwhelming which helps lead into the next subsection

o Mixups – With 12 you can stagger, 12~BF2D (Hit the overhead first for the mixup), 123~BF2D (Hit with the low first for a combo but has a gap before you cancel), 123~DB1 (Staying safe on block with a true block string after 123), 123~DB2 (Going for plus frames). Similar options are available for 23

- If you expect the opponent to try and jump out of your tick-throw, instead, you can cancel into DB1 and it’ll catch them for 8% into hit advantage

- 124~DB2 in the corner catches opponents jumping out, and you can convert for a full combo afterwards (D1D2, 11, F212, Ender)

- 12D3 you can only cancel into a tick-throw, so you may be thinking “I have no option against people jumping out of my tick-throw.” Well guess again! 12D3 and wait. Don’t cancel into a tick-throw. If they jump over you, you’ll be waiting for the anti-air conversion with either 1 or D2

Personal Touch

- An option that I like sometimes against people trying to armor out of Wrestler’s tick-throws is for instance, 124~BF4. Against some characters’ armor, their armor move completely whiffs

- Personally, I think 4~DB2 is underutilized. It’s a true block string into +7 (you could also do 3~DB2, it’s a frame faster but does less chip

- D4~DB2 is also a decent counter poke into plus frames. If your opponent starts trying to disrespect it, you can actually do D4~BF2 or BF2D for true block strings

Help for anyone trying to get the last link on the Quad Grab brutal: https://testyourmight.com/threads/theory-on-quad-grapple.60994/ Credit to @PurpleMenace

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
What do you mean? Ive honestly never seen anyone do that
He means getting the plus frames from F2 and then doing a command grab while they're respecting your plus frames. AKA what tic throws have been for the longest time in fighting games except for in NRS games for some reason.

TheGangstaFace

He means getting the plus frames from F2 and then doing a command grab while they're respecting your plus frames. AKA what tic throws have been for the longest time in fighting games except for in NRS games for some reason.
Ahhhh i thought he meant F2~DBF1 XD

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
@TheGangstaFace
@CrazyFingers
basically you do f2 on block. Then you do Command Grab. I do it all the time. Hit reo with it in tournament a few times. Cause people are expecting f21, or f2 into d1. Things like that. F2 Throw is also very good.

Also 11 moves you forward and has very little recovery
124 Plasma in the corner catches people jumping to avoid the tick throw and you can get a full combo from it.

Indecisive

11 on hit is a guaranteed 50/50 low or oh cause its like +20 on hit or something stupid. Make mention of f3 1+3 to change positions and put people back in the corner. 232 mixup. 12d3 tick throw mix up with 123 and other stupid shit.

TheGangstaFace

11 on hit is a guaranteed 50/50 low or oh cause its like +20 on hit or something stupid. Make mention of f3 1+3 to change positions and put people back in the corner. 232 mixup. 12d3 tick throw mix up with 123 and other stupid shit.
I'll be sure to add hit advantages in a bit, i already talked about the other stuff you mentioned except 232 because that gap in the final hit is so massive I find it to be useless

Indecisive

I'll be sure to add hit advantages in a bit, i already talked about the other stuff you mentioned except 232 because that gap in the final hit is so massive I find it to be useless
2 Oh or 232 is just generally good. Also you can combo 232 in the corner if you are a god

TheGangstaFace

2 Oh or 232 is just generally good. Also you can combo 232 in the corner if you are a god
I meantioned 2~oh and 23~oh. After 23 it can't be a low so 232 is predictable. Sometimes I catch people off guard with it but that's about it lol and yeah I didn't know about that till the other day, my buddy was telling me not to try it cuz it would drive me crazy lmao

Just skimmed over it, this is some really good stuff! More variations need guides like this considering we're so late into the game's life. Thx for the work.

also the wrestler mood chooser would totally match my avatar and now i have to learn him so that i can be stylish