What's new

Looking for a MK Fightstick in the UK

Flagg

Noob
Within a few weeks you can play MK perfectly with it and do jumps and dashes without problem.
I played in a KoH tonight with Shura, Stack and someone else and I swear, it was like I was in my first day of MK 9 again.

I know I will get used to it, I mean I can start to do more complicated stuff in the training room now, but there is so much difference between Training room and competitive play.

aj1701

Noob
Just be patient, it will come back to you. But also you've got a Sanwa stick, those are really senstive, moreso than what you used to play with in the arcades. I've got a stick with Sanwa square gate as well. You'll get used to it, I rarely jump when I don't want to anymore. But I still mess up QC sometimes :)

Just be patient, it will come back to you. But also you've got a Sanwa stick, those are really senstive, moreso than what you used to play with in the arcades. I've got a stick with Sanwa square gate as well. You'll get used to it, I rarely jump when I don't want to anymore. But I still mess up QC sometimes :)
I got square gate too, but I find it hard to pull off iAF's. I have to grind the stick to make the angle.

aj1701

Noob
I got square gate too, but I find it hard to pull off iAF's. I have to grind the stick to make the angle.
I've gotten them to come out, I think for me its I'm just not fast enough usually. Also seems easier to jump forward or backward as you'll instantly be in the air where as neutral jump there's like a three frame window before you'll actually jump.

So how is your gate configured? Like if you take the stick along the edge in a 360 degree sweep. On mine the diagonals seem "deeper" while the pure directions seem to have less throw, if that makes sense. I think you can rotate the gate to change that, but I like where it is. Maybe doing that will make IAF easier.

Anyway I said he'd get used to dashing and jumping and what not, never said any IA stuff ;)

I've gotten them to come out, I think for me its I'm just not fast enough usually. Also seems easier to jump forward or backward as you'll instantly be in the air where as neutral jump there's like a three frame window before you'll actually jump.

So how is your gate configured? Like if you take the stick along the edge in a 360 degree sweep. On mine the diagonals seem "deeper" while the pure directions seem to have less throw, if that makes sense. I think you can rotate the gate to change that, but I like where it is. Maybe doing that will make IAF easier.

Anyway I said he'd get used to dashing and jumping and what not, never said any IA stuff ;)
I have the Qanba Q4, it's my first stick so I have no clue about the material it's made or anything of that sort.
I haven't changed any of the buttons and I don't plan to, I already got used to it.

shura30

Shura
Q4 comes with square gate by default:

you should "feel" each diagonal because of the gate shape
and it's easy at first to drag any down/up/fwd/back input to one corner (so you dashjump)
and yes, due to the square cardinal inputs have less throw than diagonals

red dots in the above picture are the microswitches
with practice and due to both shaft spring and switches sensibility you will not need to reach the edges to pull your stuff with an obvious increase in speed

octagonal one have a corner for each of the 8 directions:

it's best suited for 8way games (mk is not) or starters because square gate is still the default/arcade standard in japan

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I signed up for the hitbox waiting list and almost bought the ps3 one. I couldn't bring myself to part with £130 though, especially as I don't think any converters work with it. That Q4 looks great though I can't imagine doing iAF is easy on a joystick.

aj1701

Noob
i should put a video up to show how many perfects iagbs or iafs a noname like me can pull off in a row with my fightstick
Please do. I know that when I can get them out theyre hella close to the ground, but I have a verylow success rate. Any other tips on doing them besides not going ask the way to the edge?

shura30

Shura
Please do. I know that when I can get them out theyre hella close to the ground, but I have a verylow success rate. Any other tips on doing them besides not going ask the way to the edge?
just look at practice mode's input history to see if and how many wrong inputs you're giving

for iafs you should be able to pull them off with ub, df. mk is 4 way so any diagonal will be registered as 2 different inputs: d,f or f,d

Flagg

Noob
I think im just going to have to accept, it's going to take me at least a month to get comfortable and play as good on a stick as I do on a pad.

Some characters im beginning to feel okay with on a stick, like Cyber Sub Zero but it feels totally weird playing Baraka on a stick.

Also I tend to do random jumps a lot, sometimes I exagerate my df or db too much and its a half circle, and there's been times I go to uppercut and do a special or do a special and a uppercut comes out. I guess I just need to respect the fact the stick is quite sensitive, because even doing a nuetral jumping punch in the thick of the action feels a bit strange.

Incidently, input commands, combos im getting the hang of pretty quickly, as im used to plinking and pianoing.

I've also just picked up Freddy. :s

shura30

Shura
don't give yourself a fixed time period

just leave the pad alone and accept that you're going to lose a lot of matches due to unwanted/random inputs

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I personally don't see the point in moving from pad to stick for MK, especially if you have never played on a stick before. You have a large expense, a fairly steep learning curve and then be faced with the same issues you had with pad, i.e. imperfect inputs.

Hit box I get. If you're using a character with iAF, even more so.

shura30

Shura
I personally don't see the point in moving from pad to stick for MK, especially if you have never played on a stick before. You have a large expense, a fairly steep learning curve and then be faced with the same issues you had with pad, i.e. imperfect inputs.

Hit box I get. If you're using a character with iAF, even more so.

nah
mk is 4way and should be easier to learn a fightistick on

beside the fact i am like: fighting game=fightstick

but i really accept the fact that arcades are not there anymore to support fighting games so welcome pad and hitboxes and whatever players

btw beng do you play on xbl?

Flagg

Noob
Actually found that playing with the stick on my desk instead of my lap makes a world of difference.

Because of the sensitivity of the stick, I actually restrict the amount of times I jump, which is probably a good thing, and only try and jump when crossing up.

And yeah, fighting games are my favourite genre of game, and im thinking of picking up SSF IV AE when the patched version is released next year. I think quite a lot of people will be playing it because the Gem system is probably going to put off a lot of people in SF X Tekken

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
nah
mk is 4way and should be easier to learn a fightistick on

beside the fact i am like: fighting game=fightstick

but i really accept the fact that arcades are not there anymore to support fighting games so welcome pad and hitboxes and whatever players

btw beng do you play on xbl?
I used to play on stick so I could transfer it to the arcade. Gone are those days though... :(

I'm on both but rarely play on 360 as I've found the lag pretty bad, probably as its region free and I get paired with players from the US etc. I'll try on get on 360 again soon so just add me. :)