What's new

Long Distance Runners, I need tips.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
So here's the deal. I broke my hip a few months ago while I was in Australia playing rugby and have just been starting to run on it again. The thing is, I need to be fit enough again to make my University's soccer team again for this Spring season. The only fitness test I KNOW I will have problems with is running 2 Miles in UNDER 12 minutes. If there are any long distance runners or athletes who train for endurance please give me insight as to what you all do for fast results. I need to be able to do this in 3 weeks.
Thanks guys! Looking forward to the replies :)

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
swimming is pretty awesome possum to control breathing and stuff and its non impact so its good for that damaged hip?

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Thats true, swimming would be a good way to keep the damage controlled. Do you know which stroke would do the most for cardio purposes?

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Thats true, swimming would be a good way to keep the damage controlled. Do you know which stroke would do the most for cardio purposes?
.........I took a swim class last semester and forgot so much haha but the different strokes focus on different muscle groups, the best bet is to swim lengths of a pool and stuff and limit the amount of times you can resurface.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Do you think you'll have more problems with your lungs or your legs during the run? 2 miles isn't too bad. Controlling your breathing is huge for pacing, I used to eat shit loads of pasta/bread/trailmix before runs for energy.

One breathing exercise I used to do while in track was taking as deep of a breath as possible, then let it out extremely slowly. I'd do this quite a but throughout the day.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
.........I took a swim class last semester and forgot so much haha but the different strokes focus on different muscle groups, the best bet is to swim lengths of a pool and stuff and limit the amount of times you can resurface.
I'll try that. Most likely will be gassed after like 6 laps lol
Do you think you'll have more problems with your lungs or your legs during the run? 2 miles isn't too bad. Controlling your breathing is huge for pacing, I used to eat shit loads of pasta/bread/trailmix before runs for energy.

One breathing exercise I used to do while in track was taking as deep of a breath as possible, then let it out extremely slowly. I'd do this quite a but throughout the day.
More problems with lungs I'd say, my legs can go for quite a while before giving out. The breathing thing, was this a day of an event or daily no matter what?

Eat a lot of carbs beforehand. (pastas, breads, etc, the day before)
Have a banana 2 hours prior to running, and drink chocolate milk before you start. (45 min before)

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
I'll try that. Most likely will be gassed after like 6 laps lol

More problems with lungs I'd say, my legs can go for quite a while before giving out. The breathing thing, was this a day of an event or daily no matter what?
Uh, everyday I guess. I just did it whenever I felt like it. It increases your lung capacity, not as much as running, but you can be on the couch eating a bowl of cheetohs while doing it lol. Swimming is probably one of your best options. Also, try running the 6min mile pace as long as possible. Even if you can only hold it for around 3 minutes now, you'll get it to 12 in 3 weeks for sure if you keep at it.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Eat a lot of carbs beforehand. (pastas, breads, etc, the day before)
Have a banana 2 hours prior to running, and drink chocolate milk before you start. (45 min before)
Those are great for the day before/of preparation. Thanks Mr. Mil :)
Oh, and why chocolate milk?

Uh, everyday I guess. I just did it whenever I felt like it. It increases your lung capacity, not as much as running, but you can be on the couch eating a bowl of cheetohs while doing it lol. Swimming is probably one of your best options. Also, try running the 6min mile pace as long as possible. Even if you can only hold it for around 3 minutes now, you'll get it to 12 in 3 weeks for sure if you keep at it.
I'll try that alongside swimming lol. Thanks for the advice :)

Those are great for the day before/of preparation. Thanks Mr. Mil :)
Oh, and why chocolate milk?

I'll try that alongside swimming lol. Thanks for the advice :)

I don't know. But my dad is a HUGE cyclist, and it gives him so much energy. After, he recuperates quite well, before, it supplies him with amazing amounts of stamina.

I am thinking the sugar from the chocolate mixed with the fat/caloric intake of the milk itself.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
I don't know. But my dad is a HUGE cyclist, and it gives him so much energy. After, he recuperates quite well, before, it supplies him with amazing amounts of stamina.

I am thinking the sugar from the chocolate mixed with the fat/caloric intake of the milk itself.
I'll give that a go during training and if it works for me use it on the day, wouldn't want to risk it giving me cramps because of the milk lol

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I take it you already have the proper running form then? (as laughable as that sounds, it IS important). Lengthen your stride as much as possible without it becoming awkward/uncomfortable. Breathing can't be overstated: Deep breaths through the nose and out the mouth. The rest of the stuff has already been said really.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
I take it you already have the proper running form then? (as laughable as that sounds, it IS important). Lengthen your stride as much as possible without it becoming awkward/uncomfortable. Breathing can't be overstated: Deep breaths through the nose and out the mouth. The rest of the stuff has already been said really.
The only comments I get on my form sometimes is that I don't swing my arms as much as I should. Strides are usually good. Good reminder though!

aj1701

Noob

Low fat / fat free chocolate milk, mixed with protein powder, is a popular recovery drink after weight lifting. The protein helps rebuild muscle, and the sugar spikes insulin, which is normally something you wouldn't want, but it's a growth hormone as well, so in this situation it can be good.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Just wanted to give anyone who cares in the slightest an update.

Just ran 2 miles in 13:22 and have my 40 yard dashes (I did 5) to an average of 4.6 seconds.

I still have a week left!
Cheers guys!

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Don't drink chocolate milk before running. Milk is the last thing you want in your stomach while running. Instead, try eating a spoonful of honey 15 min before running.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Run 200 meter sprints (1/2 mile) at 5-10 seconds faster than you need to meet your 12 min goal for 2 miles. 8 laps on a standard track is what you need so do the math and train up. Just leave 3 days before you do the test to recover from training. Diet is not gonna help you now. Just keep it light the day of the run.

Masters in exercise physiology here. Listen up.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
If you have more questions you can pm me. And this isn't endurence training. This is pretty much a sprint for 2 miles. It's gonna suck. Good luck mate.