What's new

Liu Kang rune trap?

While i was in training mode, and i found out that Liu Kangs Ex fireball gives him an advantage about the same as the old low hat (which just about everyone know about). So i was thinking, has anyone tries ending off blocked strings like 213 and b312 with and end it off with a quick en low fireball, and most people probably won't expect it. I tried it and it seemed pretty useful. Does anyone else think so or use this?

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
if you want the ex low fireball to hit, i'd do 21 exfireball. they stand to block the overhead and get the fireball instead. then run your mixups.

Yeah EX low fireball gives you a free jump on hit. I wouldn't call it a rune trap, because rune trap is godlike and unblockable. This set up is avoidable.. low fireball hits low yes, and yes that is good. It can also be thrown after 21 which gives a mix up at the end between the low and the overhead launching 3. That's the good, this is the bad:

-2 in the 213 string is a high and can be ducked by all characters, regardless of whether or not they are blocking. If they are ducking and not blocking, some characters can probably take a free uppercut on you. Sonya, Quan Chi, Nightwolf.. If they can't, they will definately be able to D1 or D3 poke.

-If your low fireball mix up is revealed once, or if they know it existed beforehand, they can block low and look for the overhead 3 to come out on screen, react to it, and block it before it hits them. Compared to most, this overhead comes out quickly, but it is possble to read the difference between it and a fireball.

-If your opponent guards you successfully, you have used a bar of meter and gotten only chip damage for your trouble.

My most used string with Kang is F1 2. If for some reason they're not blocking low during my F1 2, and I have good meter to spend, I'll add the EX low fireball on at the end and take the free jump in mix up to either F3... B3 1.... F1 2 again... or jump kick throw. All four options are pretty safe, so unless it will kill them or close to it, don't go for the throw.

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
F+12 then ex low fireball works pretty well...i haven't been able to implement it in online matches yet, but marvaz was using it to some real success at the arizona tourney a few weeks ago.

I was thinking about using this after 2,1 with a regular low fireball. I didn't know that ex low fireball gives a free jump in so I'll try to implement it. Is regular low fireball advantage on hit or even or disadvantage because i might use that off a jump in punch since everyone blocks low after that string. Also, on an unrelated but topic, did you guys know that you can use 2,1,3 to punish Mileena's teleport? I don't know if there is a better option to punish it but after you block it you can let her fall a bit and then combo off 2,1,3.

The problem with this is that unlike Kung Lao, after his fireball animation, he can be poked out easily, which is extremely unsafe.

I called it a rune trap because it worked kinda like one because you can consistently like the rune trap and I didn't know what to call it. I use it after all of my strings when I have meter to spend or I'm just toying around with a noob. And yes, you can punish milennia's teleport with 213. And you can be poked out of it too? Are you sure? I've never been.