What's new

Question - Dragons Fire Liu Kang in the Neutral Game

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I've recently had a lot of success with Liu as he is a character that I've finally found where I can rely mostly on my execution rather than patience, but I still lose several games that I truly have no reason losing because I am complete ass with Liu in the neutral game. I feel like I get outspaced, outpoked and lose matches with barely getting to hit someone's block. To note: I often do try to lame people out with IAFB and LFB if I notice that I'm getting massively outplayed in the neutral. Most of the time this doesn't work even though my execution for IAFBs is pretty on point, zoning isn't particularly my playstyle (personal problem not a character problem).

The tools I primarily use in the neutral are:
  • F44xxFBRC for spacing and + frames/hit confirms (but this sucks to whiff)
  • B2 as a ranged check
  • D3 and only D3 as a poke (often times i do multiple, which I know I shouldn't, on hit its +20 so I'm trying to learn to react better to on hit and pressure accordingly)
Once I land something on block or hit, I know how to play and I can pressure them to death, but I often find that Liu Kang feels like he's -2 at all times compared to your opponent because he lacks a fast low profiling poke (maybe I just crutch on having one?). He has a 6F high to check someone like Shinnok that loves to F4, but against the majority of the cast, they just poke me to death and out-neutral me.

Do you guys just skip poking altogether and just concentrate on blocking theirs then pushing in with F213xxFBRC block pressure? What works best for you?

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
i'm really suprised by this because i honestly think liu kang is a GOD in neutral. i've played him since day one and neutral is my best friend. i'm not even that good at IAFB.

fullscreen: i mostly use low fireball cus it's a bilion times faster. i use semi IAFB when i' 100% sure they'll jump.
mid range: i focus on b2 as an anti air and spacing tool. cus well no one has the balls to block high against liu iu. this is punishable but other than cassie, lao, and characters with the knee of god( JOHHNY FUCKING CAGE, jax, shinnok), it won't be punished easily or consistently.
also when they start getting close i rotate between run up f213 and f44 into FBC for free pressure.
honestly unless they have a godlike read or your facing someone with equally good spacing or zoning you can just go to town on them.
for anti air you should probably either use 1 or f1 but i just love that meaty uppercut sound

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
I often do try to lame people out with IAFB and LFB if I notice that I'm getting massively outplayed in the neutral.
You should start with this vs every character you're able to do it against. His walkspeed coupled with this is a pain for some characters.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
when they start getting close i rotate between run up f213 and f44 into FBC for free pressure
You should start with this vs every character you're able to do it against. His walkspeed coupled with this is a pain for some characters.
I think both of you made me just realize my main problem. I don't use his walking speed to my advantage to properly space against jump ins and neutral pokes. I try to challenge pokes / anti-air jump-ins on reaction instead (which I don't think I'm personally good enough to do in the neutral against some people). I think rather than trying to D3 or anti-air I should just walk back, run in and F213/F44 to start up my pressure.

I also tend to get caught up in zoning when I start it up until they're in my face. Rather than that I should probably mix it up by running in myself at times too.

LK is really nice to use because you can use whichever method is more effective against that player. So just do whatever they hate and capitalize on the MU.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
His B2 is really underrated, its a really good footise tool and like @omooba said, it can be used as an anti-air aswell, and since no one really blocks high that much, its almost a guaranteed hit. And if they do, his b4 has really good range aswell.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Opponent out spacing you? Beating your neutral? Making you upset because you dont have forwarded advanced strings or fast pokes? Easy solution! Meterburn fly kick and say fuck your neutral lol

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Imho his best tool is b2. I've played hours of JC A-LIST and I playing neutral game is bringing me most success. Up close he fucks me up with ex ball punch. B2 has so many usage.

-Jump in punisher
-whiff punisher
-mix up tool (after close down fireball directly b2) its a mind fuck.
-Corner mindfuck tool

Good luck everyone!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I've only played against Liu Kang. I usually see b2 (if that's the overhead), f44, f2, d3 and MB flying kick in the neutral. Low fireballs if I'm far away. On jump ins, I face a lui kang that will see me jump over a fireball and walk backward so I land in front of him and he starts his block pressure. D2 is a pretty good anti air.

His walkspeed, plus on block d3, quick reaching overhead and great fireballs (travel time and recovery are nasty) make him a pain to fight. MB flying kick will just kill neutral and give you a skewed guessing game. I mostly use kotal raiden and cassie.

I mostly play on psn but I got steam too if you want to play some matches.