What's new

List of characters who cannot crouch block under choke and various pressure strings w/ it

So, as I mentioned in another thread, I've never been a big fan of d1 into choke because it whiffs on everybody if they crouch block. However, finding out that d3 into choke can work on some characters got me interested in this move again. Here's a list of characters vulnerable to this and from which strings:

d3 xx choke will connect at close range vs. a crouch-blocking:

Raiden
Freddy
Rain
Kenshi
Liu Kang
Shang Tsung
Baraka
Sheeva
Stryker

The following strings, at close range, will allow d3 xx choke to connect afterward:

f+11
b+1
f+1 (inconsistent on Baraka)
b+112 (KENSHI ONLY)

So now you have an interesting option to catch people trying to get out of repeated dashing d3's! Oh yeah, and on block it leaves you right in f+1 range - have to move forward a little bit if you want to try b+1.

Wow I never used his d3, but this has got me interested in it. Also thanks for posting the advantage of his d4 on the other thread, I knew it was at advantage but +12 is unbelievable. One thing I've been doing after a d4 is throwing out an ex knife ,catching your opponent if they ducked and forcing them to stand, or if blocked allowing you to keep pressure. Don't worry about the meter waste either since the blockstrings you can do before and after this can add up to one bar or close to it. However like pretty every other good pressure tool of his, the ex knife can be duck blocked under (it whiffs on Mileena duck blocking quite often for example) but I still think it's pretty good.

Edit: I think the whiffing of his Ex knife is caused by the distance of kano's d4, if you do d4 to Ex knife right upclose to Kung Lao(for example) it always hits, but if you hit with the end of his leg it can whiff.

Yeah, I just don't think it's worth using meter in pressure like that since EX knife isn't even + on block (up close at least). Another random EX move fact I just learned last night: EX straight ball actually does less chip damage than the normal one!

Also, just to clarify, d4 is +12 on hit and 0 on block. Just about all d4's seem to be right around there from what I can tell.