What's new

Strategy Limiting Use of 2,1 Ex Fan in Punishments

As we have discussed before, when your opponent has breaker, or close to it, 2,1 lift is the way to go, instead of burning 1 meter and then having them break.

2,1 ex fan is great, and really, 2,1 can punish attacks such as reptiles dash, kano's upball, etc, that f2,1 cannot.

But there are occasions where F2,1 can be used to punish (for 45%), and 2,1 ex fan is used (for 48%)
Some punishments include: Raiden's Shocker (-29), Ermac's Lift (-26), etc.
We are burning 1 bar of meter for 3 extra percent
2,1 for some reason I have been using to punish everything but the rolling animation punishers (raidens teleport, ermacs teleport, etc)

Back in the day, I would punish with F2,1 for which it applied to, and now it seems that Kitana's punish almost everything with 2,1

It's also nice to point out that 2,1 cutter does 15%, so if your opponent is going to die with about 16-22% health or so, 2,1 cutter, and chipping them out gains you meter. If they don't block fine, 112 does more damage anyways than the chip, but if they block, you'll gain some meter instead of just 2,1 lifting them and ending it.
OR
Another route is ending with 2,1 lift, ground fan, air fan, ground fan, air fan, for 26% total, (the fans do 19% cumulative)

Kitana gains meter pretty efficiently, but I still think we should conserve meter when we have to, and build it more appropriately when we can.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
That seems like it's a corner combo.
You're throwing out 4 fans after b2 fan, not possible midscreen, and not possible without meter after the 3rd one
I was exaggerating because I cannot recall if you end up throwing 2 or 3 fans before you 2/4 cutter. It's midscreen.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
What about punishing with F4 1, F2 Lift, B2 Fan, Fan, 4 Cutter? Isn`t that damage pretty high as well? Is the startup on F4 too long?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
ex fan should only be used to close out a game or if u think u can catch them with a IA EX fan for a full combo.

ex fan should only be used to close out a game or if u think u can catch them with a IA EX fan for a full combo.
I disagree

for 2,1 only punishes.

if they aren't close to breaking, use 2,1 ex fan, for highest possible damage, to either sit on a big life lead, or gain it back.
Then in most MU's, she is able to zone making the enemy coming to her, and she will be gaining meter back as well.

I'd rather sit on a 48-50% life lead than a 36-38% life lead

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I've been using the combo that I've seen GuamoKun use in recent videos for a few months now.

21~lift, fan, b2af, 4fan, f2~cutter

This is the best damage off of a naked ex lift as well, but if you catch them in the air it is very difficult to get the initial ground fan.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
I've been using the combo that I've seen GuamoKun use in recent videos for a few months now.

This is the best damage off of a naked ex lift as well, but if you catch them in the air it is very difficult to get the initial ground fan.
I stole it from rev0lver

But I deserve ALL the props because why not?

The combo I use is 2,1 lift, NJP, 4fan, air fan, 4 fan 2 cutter

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Guamo can have my props because of my white guilt.

The only problem with it is that it seems even more range dependent than the njp combos, so it's better to go for that off shorter-ranged 2,1's

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I disagree

for 2,1 only punishes.

if they aren't close to breaking, use 2,1 ex fan, for highest possible damage, to either sit on a big life lead, or gain it back.
Then in most MU's, she is able to zone making the enemy coming to her, and she will be gaining meter back as well.

I'd rather sit on a 48-50% life lead than a 36-38% life lead
srry i shouldn't have said only. But i'm one of those people who likes to see if i can catch the opponent off guard with an Ex IAF every now in then. It can be kind of a waste if it doesnt hit but then again the reward is pretty darn good.

srry i shouldn't have said only. But i'm one of those people who likes to see if i can catch the opponent off guard with an Ex IAF every now in then. It can be kind of a waste if it doesnt hit but then again the reward is pretty darn good.
yeah i can see how, i would do a normal one if i wanna start that way though, but its low risk, high reward, the only thing is youll burn a bar of meter