What's new

Limited Toolsets?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I love many things about MK11 and am fine with the meta and mechanics and generally have the mentality to level up and adapt instead of change key functions of the game.

I even enjoy many characters and feel many of them are well designed. I do however think a good chunk of the cast have limited Toolsets and that certain tools are more rewarding than others making some characters resuse the same moves instead if fully utilizing every tool they have.
Some of the normals, specials, pokes, tools are unsafe or just less rewarding than thier main stronger tools and are used far more often because of it.

Before I give an example I want to be clear and let everyone know that I'm not saying certain characters don't require skill because thier game plan is to clutch to a handful of tools and put the rest in the back burner.
I just feel characters could have more balanced toolsets that allow some of the less used tools to have more practicality and applications than just wiff punish. More character depth and move diversity makes characters so much more fun to play than using number of hit mix off a single normal/throw to be successful.

No offense to anyone who mains these characters, I use many of them so I'm not judging.
All of these characters use specials and pokes and throws along with a few normals I'll list below.
Cassie (F412mix, B243mix), Sonya(B12/B14/F3/134mix),
Liu Kang (F43u3mix)
Kung Lao (F1/F12/F4/chainfist)
Sub Zero (F4/F2/B32)
Kollector (F12mix/F2/B23)
Geras(F22mix/11mix)

There are Characters that do utilize all moves and have more balanced normals like Jade, Erron, Baraka, Cetrion, Scarlet, Kitana, Kano and others but I'm curious what others think if my thoughts on this. I'm still having fun but maybe it would be cool to get moves adjusted so most of the moves have applications and only a couple are not the main game plan.

Discuss below