What's new

Lightning "trap" rules

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Lightning trap has been a large part of NW game since the beginning and it still is. However, the rules have changed alot since release and i want people to understand how it works now. I have spent alot of time testing this and will continue to test it. I mat change rules if I find them to be inaccurate in the future.

1) every character in the game can get out of the LT. Wakeup attacks give invincibility and will make LT miss if done right.
2) there is a difference between landing a shoulder in the air and a random shoulder on the ground.
3) even though choke hits them with a shoulder, it has different properties than a standard shoulder.
4) the way they are knocked down changes how fast they can recover.
5) how NW times eh lightning will change based in a number of things: does the opponent do a wakeup attack, do they jump, do they tech roll, or do they have a teleport, or do they have armor.
6) the above variables all change how a LT is timed making it a guessing game, not a guarantee.

Allow me to explain with an example:

Scorpian has many moves that get him out of LT. He has a teleport (100% safe from LT), leg tackle, and eh lag tackle. Leg tackle and eh leg tackle have invincibility on startup causing NW to delay when the eh lightning is done in order for it to work. The delay is soooooo long that if I don't anticipate it, he can also just quick recover and jump away before Eh Loghtning can come out. If he sees me anticipating a quick recover with a faster eh lightning, he can wakeup teleport for a hit.

How does NW over come this? He needs to be smarter than his opponent and bait and train. After an air shoulder you should not do lt unless you have trained them to block by dashing in with f3 or punishing their jump with stand 1 or axe or another shoulder or punishing their wakeup attack. Your best chance to hit eh lightning is after an uppercut, or a ground shoulder. Choke acts like an air shoulder so again be careful.

Please discuss. And remember that this is NOT a trap anymore as any character can get out by guessing right. It's a vortex like any other.

Somberness

Lights
A while ago I noticed you get more advantage when you hit a shoulder from farther away. 5 frames (35 vs. 40), which is the same difference in the execution frames between up close and max distance. Sorry, that's all I have to add.