What's new

Leveling Up My Reptile

I have a so-so record of 172/78 online, with most of my wins coming from Reptile. I consider myself an upper-mid level Reptile and he's definitely my best character and the one I enjoy playing the most, so I want to take him to the next level if possible. Since I know there are a lot of good Reptile players who frequent TYM, I'm going to break down my game, the holes in it, and the strategies I use with him, then ask for advice and priorities of things I can fix.

I play Reptile with a lot of zoning and rushdown when I can, but definitely a lot of forceballs and acid spits in a standard game I play with him (maybe a little similar to TS Sabin's Reptile at PowerUp).

Here are some general strategies I use with him:

Because his dash and normal movement is so bad, I mostly jump or rely on elbow dash for movement. This can be problematic sometimes, if for example I'm too far to use normals, too close to safely use a forceball, but they're within elbow dash range and I'll get blocked and punished if I use it. Ideally I want to be just outside of elbow dash range, so I can rush in behind a slow forceball and apply blockstring pressure. I'm not sure what to do from this position. Sometimes I try mixing it up with a slide, but that is also heavily punishable.

MY JUMP IN PUNCH GAME AND GAME VS. CROSS-UP PUNCH HEAVY STRATEGIES IS VERY BAD. I lose consistently to people who are good at repeatedly crossup jump punching, because although I know I should NJP or Elbow Dash out of it, either the lag, the blockstun, the crossup, or my reflexes are bad enough that I can never seem to do anything but block repeated jump punches until I try something stupid and eat a combo. By far the weakest part of my game.

I find it very difficult to combo from (or land) a jump in punch, and cannot crossup people myself.

From full screen, I generally try to lead with a fast forceball, then follow up with a slow forceball afterwards, alternating between them and throwing in acid spits to break up the rhythm. If they're committing to block or seem to be in a defensive mindset, I dash in behind a slow forceball and perform either a 3,2,1, Acid Hand, a 1,2,2,1, or a throw. 3,2,1, Acid Hand is the one I use the most because it does the most chip damage and has the best range.

I'm trying to work more 1,2,2,1 into my game, but I don't have it committed to reflex the range I should use it at vs. 3,2,1, and I also have problems hit confirming it sometimes. What I TRY to do and seems to work well when I remember it is to hit the 1,2,2 pretty fast and just keep hitting 2 until I can confirm and decide to press either 1 or bb+3.

After an elbow dash, I almost always use a fast forceball, but people get wise to it and start staying on the ground after a while. I don't know what to do in this case. Does Reptile have any good OTG moves? There are some people like Kung Lao whom I don't even want to approach when they're lying down.

I mostly use elbow dash for punishes and movement, but occasionally, if we both block up close but out of throw range, I'll wait for them to twitch and then throw it out. Usually I get good reads (75%), but occasionally I'm hasty, run into a block, and get punished (25%).

If a forceball hits them anywhere near me, I'm pretty consistent on the combos, but if I land a fast forceball from full screen or 3/4 screen (which I should still be able to combo off of if I elbow dash in), I drop that combo a lot of time.

I tend to read and block a lot more teleports than I get hit with (except against Mileena), but even on very open blocks like Ermac's teleport, Kung Lao's dive kick, or Mileena's ball, I often throw out an uppercut on reflex instead of taking full advantage of the opportunity (3,2, fast forceball, 3,2, slow forceball, 3,2,1, slide?).

I would prefer the pressure of ending combos in a slow forceball over the slide, but for some reason I often mess up the bb+1 input after a 3,2,1, so I usually use a slide just to be consistent.

I have both good and bad habits for meter usage: good in that I don't waste meter on a breaker or X-ray if I'm obviously about to lose a round, but bad in that I'll get to full meter and just let it sit there while I wait to use my X-ray. I feel like I'm wasting it, since I could probably use an EX here or there and get 1 or 2 bars back before the end of the round. He has some good EX moves, too, especially EX slow forceball and EX elbow dash (landing 3x EX elbow dash into slide does more damage than 1x X-ray, but the X-ray has some obvious benefits of super armor, etc.). I'd like to consider ways to abuse EX slow forceball/work it into my game.

I love the d+4, Acid Hand poke, but I forget to use it sometimes. I generally start up again when I catch myself, but I think I should use it more consistently.

I'm not good enough to do the 3,2,1, elbow dash whiff, NJP combo consistently.

Sometimes I'll land an EX Acid Hand and juggle them, but I don't know what to do after this juggle.

I get a bit lost when I have a character like Cage or Nightwolf in my face, whose blockstrings all give them + frame advantage while their hits come out faster than mine anyway. If I block, I take chip damage. If I try to interrupt, even with an elbow dash, I either get interrupted first or blocked and punished. And if I jump back to try to create space, I get dashed or shadow kicked.

When I come across someone who can flat-out outzone Reptile from full screen, like Liu Kang, Noob, or Nightwolf, I can have a really rough time getting in.

I'm not really sure when to use his sweep. I get messed up if I try it when someone's in my face, and otherwise I'm not sure why I would use it over the slide which is also low but comes out a lot faster.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but these are the main issues with my Reptile. I promise that I'm not as terrible as I make myself sound and that I can improve, but there are so many things to improve that I'm not sure where to start. If there's anything here that really stands out as UNACCEPTABLE or something that I must correct immediately, please let me know, and I'll also be very happy to take general advice from TYM's reptilian cadre.

I know that was a very long read and I'm grateful to those who took the time.

After an elbow dash, I almost always use a fast forceball, but people get wise to it and start staying on the ground after a while. I don't know what to do in this case. Does Reptile have any good OTG moves? There are some people like Kung Lao whom I don't even want to approach when they're lying down.

--Try doing 3 quick elbow dashes while there still laying on the ground. This will cause your opponent to mess up his command for his wake up alot of the time since your crossing him up... also after the 3rd dash you will be right above them in which you can 1)throw 2)sweep 3) f2,b1 4)321xx... also 5)122xx

MY JUMP IN PUNCH GAME AND GAME VS. CROSS-UP PUNCH HEAVY STRATEGIES IS VERY BAD. I lose consistently to people who are good at repeatedly crossup jump punching, because although I know I should NJP or Elbow Dash out of it, either the lag, the blockstun, the crossup, or my reflexes are bad enough that I can never seem to do anything but block repeated jump punches until I try something stupid and eat a combo. By far the weakest part of my game.

---Practice practice Practice using elbow dash to get out of this...it helps to buffer the back button before they jump and then immediately hit f2 to elbow dash out of there.

I find it very difficult to combo from (or land) a jump in punch, and cannot crossup people myself.

--You mentioned having trouble getting in also with this...so after throwing slow forceball immediately elbow dash followed by an immediate jump in punch. This almost always leads to good block strings or sometimes even big combos. Go to the lab and stain your memory with jump in punch combos. Every combo you already know how to do...practice them with a jump in punch everytime.
--You also mentioned reacting to blocked teleports with uppercut...haha...I did the same no worries. I actually got a buddy to get scorpion and just teleport over and over on me while I held block...It eventually became second nature to now go straight into 32fb, 32fb, 321xxender. Keep at it and you will get it down.

I would prefer the pressure of ending combos in a slow forceball over the slide, but for some reason I often mess up the bb+1 input after a 3,2,1, so I usually use a slide just to be consistent.
--First off Make sure you can do all reptiles combos... Elbow dash whiff, 122fb, etc.. practice them until you can do them with your eyes closed. I practiced the 321 elbow dash whiff combo everyday for I swear at least a month before I could get it 100% and hell I still cant do online half the time... but just keep practicing practicing practicing!!! you will get it...these combos are not easy...but over time you will be able to do it with your eyes closed.
--Now once you have these combos down...the easy part is the enders: Slide, Invisibility, or Ex Slow Forceball. Keep in mind you do not have to buffer the enders... For instance when doing the elbow dash whiff combo you have to start hitting back before your even done inputting the 321... However for the enders you do not have to do that... Always keep that in mind and just be steady and dont spam the buttons. So while ending with EX slow FB: input 321, bb1+block in that order... dont start hitting the bb until you are done inputting the 321.

Hope some of this helps...I'll check back on thread tomorrow and see if some of the stuff I didnt write about hasn't been answered yet..and if so I'll see what else I can do for you... Good Luck with Reptile

Griefa

Noob
Reptile definitely has a "dead zone." It's that area just at the edge of elbow dash range where you are too far to jump in and too close to whiff the dash.

EX dash can break through that obstacle some times, especially when they are closer rather than at the max distance. Also, slow forceball is great to use from the dead zone because it will shut down jumpers. An EX slowball will allow you to elbow dash in recklessly, or even dash and jump in for low risk pressure, in addition to the anti air. EX invis is another good one to bust out when someone is turtling up too hard in your dead zone waiting to punish your dash.

And sometimes the most simple solution is the best: backwards jump to a better spacing. Reptile can get out of the corner almost effortlessly with ex dash, so putting yourself there isn't as bad as with some other chars. Also the jump sets you up to counter teleport characters as long as you are ready to kick asap.