What's new

Leveling Up as a Player : The Ermaculate Edition

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I know Juggernaut has made a thread addressing this already but I wanted to put my 2 cents in.Now, the problem I see around TYM forums and such and being in chat rooms is that players need to stop trying to mimic Top Players fighting styles.I think people rely on Pro players entirely too much for info instead of finding their own strategy and play styles.Here is my a list of things players need to do if they want to level up.

#1) Play who you like/Find your style: I know how much this community is obsessed with Tier List.But don't play a character just because hes popular or Top 5 on the Tier List.Play with a character that suits "YOU!!".Whatever play style you are comfortable with, stay with that style.Don't let someone discourage you from doing what you do best because they say its spamming or cheap.Do what it takes to win.Imho I feel that learning a character that suits you and you enjoy playing with gives you better results when trying to learn and perfect that character.Not saying their are some exceptions out there but I think it helps lot.

#2)Study your character and other characters: Thx to Somberness we now have access to Frame Data.So there's no excuse not to be esteemed on your character's strengths and weaknesses.Learn what your character can and cannot do.Learn the range of your characters normals and special moves.Study frame data and determine what are your fastest and safest normal moves.Also, learn what your advantages and disadvantages are on block and hit.It can save you if you are being heavily pressured by a opponent.Also study other characters frame data and learn what you can and cannot punish or poke out of.Study until you learn every single thing about your character and the rest of the cast.

#3) Practice!! Practice!! Practice!!......Did I mention Practice?:Like the saying goes Practice makes perfect.Practicing is probably the #1 most important thing if you want to get better.Being a Top notch players you will have to have almost perfect execution.Messing up just one combo in a tournament match could cost dearly.I know execution errors can be common in this game with negative edge and the input bug but those can't be helped its just apart of the game unfortunately.Practice until the combo you are doing becomes so easy you can do it with your eyed closed.Even though MK practice mode is limited you can still find strategies and techs with your character.You can learn the range of your characters moves, you can learn whats your best AA options, pokes etc.Just practice often at least 2-3 hours a day.

#4)Play Online : What?!! Play online? But online sucks.Yes this is true but if you are not fortunate enough to have a local scene near you need to get the MU experience somehow and playing online can help.As all fighting games you will get blown up at first because you are still learning but don't be a little b**** and rage quit keep playing.No pain no gain.After awhile you will start to improve and start to win more because your knowledge of certain MU's are better.More you play the better you will become but if you do have a local scene close.You need to go there at least once or twice a week.

#5) Go to Events: I know some people don't have the funds to go to alot of tournaments I'm one of em but if you can go...GO!!I swear it's probably the most exciting feeling you will ever get in your life.You get to meet other MK players and play and talk about MK all fucking day lol.Also going to event will level you up a shit load, from all the casuals and other players giving you advice.Ive met so many cool peeps at my first tournament but I wish I got to play more of em but ill get another chance soon I hope.But all in all its well worth the trip Trust Me.

I feel Im forgetting something but I don't know what it is but if anyone wants has anything to add feel free.I'll add it to the list.Thx for reading and I hope it helps

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Point #1 really hits home for me.

I've been teaching my friend the game and he does watch events. He sees people like REO, CDjr, Curbo/Maxter and CD play. Take a guess at what characters he has interest in? Kabal, Jax, Smoke, Cage and Kit...

Why? Because he thinks they're good, so in turn he will be good. That's not the case people those guys are just levels ahead of most players. It's not the charactee that makes them superior it is them. Their own skills make them good.

Pick a character that suits your strengths, whatever they may be. I cannot stress this enough!!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Me: "Hey guys, I'm picking up Sindel"
Some of the community: *laughs at mr mileena* hahaha she sucks, shes the worst.
Me: *goes to a tourny and gets 4th with her*
Some of the community: Nerf her zoning, how the hell do you block against her, etc.

lol

Play who you want and have fun :)
It goes the other way, too. It's always key to stay with who makes you most comfortable, even if they aren't the most impressive on paper, because that comfort WILL pay off. But on the other hand, should you find yourself in the mood to experiment, don't fight it because you'd be surprised how much you can learn about a character just by putting them on your shoulders for a little while, especially when you go back to your comfort character and you fight that someone.

Me: "I think I'm gonna pick up So-and-So."
Random Friend: "Oh no, not this again..."
Me: *Learns a fuck-ton from the time spent with them and now has the matchup nailed down with his original choice."

The biggest thing is, win or lose, always try to learn from the fight.

Good stuff, Slim. You're one of the best of the Many :).