What's new

Strategy Letting the timer run out

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
So I played a few games in the MKAK lobby today and ran into some turtles who wanted to back up all day long. Typical of the lobby, except these kind of turtles were the type that wouldn't dare to advance a single frame, even when they were trapped against the wall and needed to teleport out of the corner. To make a long story short, I get life leads, let the clock count down to 0, and I win. Afterwards I get hatemail from the guys to the tune of "why don't you ever attack, lolz you suck?!"

My thoughts of course are "a win is a win is a win." Some people though just want you to play their game no matter what ...

What are your thoughts on it? Why do people have this mentality in the game?

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
If they're just going to sit back and not mount any offence when they're down on life, just take your win - they're practically handing it to you anyway.

While good keepaway is very strategic, it is also not very action oriented. I suppose many casuals buy fighting games for some fun beatdown action, so they wouldn't find calculated decision-making as exciting.

They're scared to lose and if they feel that the only reason they lost was because your cheap, or a pussy or whateva they make themselves believe then its less damaging to they're ego because in they're head they are still superior to you. Its the best when haters write me love letters I have some of my favorites saves actually, retsnef.. I have so many from him lol

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
If it's in a tournament setting, I get it. Do what it takes (within the rules) to win and advance, and I don't have any beef with someone trying to steal a win with time expiring

But, if it's just a casual game with a friend or even with a random online and it doesn't matter, I hate people who turtle like that and just let the time expire. Seriously, if I'm fighting someone online who plays crazy defensive when they have a massive life lead on me, I just back out. Means more to them than it does to me. I can't tell you how many times I've had HUGE life leads and still mounted an offensive, cuz it doesn't matter lol. It's normally when I break out some crazy shenanigans (like throwing out a bomb and trying to EX-Teleport them onto it with Cyrax or something).

I don't know, maybe it's just me. Some people take this shit WAY too seriously :confused:

I had a subzero mirror match. The timer expired and i didn't even notice lol. It was actually pretty fun though, being patient is awesome.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
So I played a few games in the MKAK lobby today and ran into some turtles who wanted to back up all day long. Typical of the lobby, except these kind of turtles were the type that wouldn't dare to advance a single frame, even when they were trapped against the wall and needed to teleport out of the corner. To make a long story short, I get life leads, let the clock count down to 0, and I win. Afterwards I get hatemail from the guys to the tune of "why don't you ever attack, lolz you suck?!"

My thoughts of course are "a win is a win is a win." Some people though just want you to play their game no matter what ...

What are your thoughts on it? Why do people have this mentality in the game?
sounds like you were playing JoeBlak1212. he has a super turtle Scorpion, which can be extremely annoying to play against for 50 straight matches (or even 5). I've done a couple 50 sets with him, and afterwards I'm like "dear God I am NEVER fighting Scorpion again!".
but he's playing it smarter than most people would. LOL at whomever you were playing asking YOU why YOU never attack. that's classic.

all's fair in MK2. it's basically the same argument as "should someone be allowed to only pick 1 fighter?" or "should someone be allowed to counterpick?". people are gonna play how they're gonna play. sometimes letting the clock run out is the best strategy. I think those matches are always really exciting, as the person losing desperately tries to get enough chip damage in to pull off a win somehow.

speaking of losers hatemailing you, this guy MKUSHGREATEST played me about 7 matches on MKAK. he had his mic on so I had to listen to him whining and calling me names the whole time I was whooping him. after I aggro-ed him to death with a variety of fighters, he hatemailed me "YOU NEVER ATTACK, *EXPLETIVE*". he musta missed the part where I was swarming him like a bee on honey. your thread made me think of that...

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess, god bless MGP, it's hilarious watching their whole flowchart of fishing for an AA or whiff punish just go totally off the rails lol

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I love this discussion, it seems to bring out so much frustration! For me it's simple strategy, I play my opponent, if I go up against Liu, Jax, or Lao (thanks Mike), you bet your ass I'm going to be playing aggressive the entire match, but if I'm against Kit, Mil, Cage, or Shang, I'm going to be as far away as possible. There is no way I'm going to beat Kit or Shang up close no matter how good I am. So I never get mad when people play defensively, a good match is always fun.
As for the players who never move forward even when they have less life than you... just let them lose and laugh when they quit!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I love this discussion, it seems to bring out so much frustration! For me it's simple strategy, I play my opponent, if I go up against Liu, Jax, or Lao (thanks Mike), you bet your ass I'm going to be playing aggressive the entire match, but if I'm against Kit, Mil, Cage, or Shang, I'm going to be as far away as possible. There is no way I'm going to beat Kit or Shang up close no matter how good I am. So I never get mad when people play defensively, a good match is always fun.
As for the players who never move forward even when they have less life than you... just let them lose and laugh when they quit!
well said.

you have to know which matchups to be aggressive in, and which to be defensive. Subz, Scorpion, and Reptile all have to be defensive against a lot of other fighters to win. that's what makes the best Sub-Zero's tough. they stay away, and try to make opponents pay when they attack him. am I gonna to beat your Sub-Zero with Kitana, Baraka, or Cage from far away? hell no. the fun of those matches is trying to get into your Sub's zone and punishing him, while you desperately try to keep me at bay.