What's new

Let's talk MK11's only downside: the music

Lun

proud TERF!
Yes, the music is competent, but that's it. It's not epic or memorable or catchy like it was in the old games.

I still listen to Deadly Alliance's kredits theme and Shang Tsung's palace's theme.

And let's not forget how atmospheric and mystical and epic the soundtrack was in the original trilogy:

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
Honestly, of the NRS continuity, this game seems to have the best music yet imo.

Not that that's saying much, but still...

the music is technincally well-made. but you are right about the downsides of the style. it is not only that there are barely iconic elements in the tracks (with few exceptions like shirai ryu fire garden), the tracks themselves lack internal structure for my taste. the three "round" segments have barely any musical relation to each other, as well as the elements inside the segments. its a constant progression of ever-new random elements.

also, the main action of the music is in the mid frequencies and very choppy (war drums!), which is very similar to the main fight sounds. so the music has to be almost inaudible in game in order to not mess up the fight sounds. a less drum- focused music would help here, and if they turned down the ridiculous bass on the hit sounds, you could let more musical stuff happen there as well.

its pretty disappointing that they made the same mistakes twice in a row now. i can enjoy the music when i listen to it in the krypt, but as FG music... ugh.

Reactions: Lun