What's new

Let Player 2 Have Gear In Local!

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
With the inclusion of gear in Mortal Kombat 11, my one request is that they allow gear to be usable by a player 2 in local play. It annoyed me to no end that whenever my cousin and I played Injustice 2 that he couldn't use any of my cool gear or moves unless he used my controller.

There's just got to be another way for gear to be stored to where it'll be usable by both players instead of one being geared up and the other being basic, or having to use tournament where either neither are geared up or it's just random.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
And they should find a way to make the mirror matches different as to who's playing who there.

Yes, yes and F@$# YEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!

I literally could not believe that "load-outs" were not usable on both sides in local versus play -- the literal crux to the longevity of any fighting game. Had I jumped on board on consoles, I literally would have refunded the game--on accounts of its said 'inkomplete' status. Personally, I didn't even care for a "gear", only [some] of their aesthetics and the special abilities for my mains. However, my local versus buddy likely would have been much more interested in the game (read: been more amenable to me cheesing him with Darkseid, Bane and Ivy), probably even buying a copy for himself, were there some 'progression' for him / player-2 / a second profile.
>lost sales

An utterly asinine design oversight (*assuming NRS weren't as dastardly and / or greedy as to deliberately introduce such a restriction), that even impinged on the use of the game's costed DLC content (see: all TMNT chars. besides [default] Leonard, being tied to "load-outs"). I'm hoping against hope that it was just a mistake, or had something to do with the way the game was coded, relative to profiles (*PC / Steam cannot have two profiles signed in simultaneously) -- as Injustice(1) also had a weird bug where player-1 and 2 both kind of shared the game's rather pointless XP, despite it being awarded to the winner [of versus matches]. The weird addendum here is that, in Training mode, the player-2 side could use the load-outs...! :confused:

Whatever the case, it will be the first thing I check when I boot the game up (on PC). If player-2 is--again--gimped, I will be lodging a complaint and refund request until the issue is address. After vociferating about this in IJ2, and receiving nary a tumble weed's worth of a response, I sincerely hope NRS pay attention to more than just the $ale$ this time... In fact, after the reveal next month, if it's not made clear whether or not player-2 can use the game's content (offline), I'll be petitioning them in earnest.

(NB: I advise anyone who wants their M11K with proper and fully functional local versus player -- and / or co-op, if applicable -- to do the same and scream bloody murder if it turns out this half-baked style of local player is, in fact, what NRS are moving to with their fighting games now. Button mashing quietly into the night will not get this issue fixed, if it rears its ugly head again...)

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Yeah, that was the problem with having gear with stats in Injustice 2.
But considering MK11's gear system might be purely aesthetic, I hope it will be shared with P2 as well, so they don't have to use the standardised versions of each character.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
(NB: I advise anyone who wants their M11K with proper and fully functional local versus player -- and / or co-op, if applicable -- ...
"Functional local versus". This is the problem, games are now being made (on purpose) to be single player, and if you want versus or coop modes you have to go online (and pay for that service). Even Nintendo is now charging for online play. The goal is to kill (or to hamper in this case) local (offline) multiplayer modes in order to force the consumer to go online so they (companies) can increase their income.

In this case they are trying to induce your buddy to buy the game and play online with you, if not he would not be able to use a proper customized gear he would want. But here I hope NRS will make the right decision and take a more pro-consumer stance. :).

Last edited:

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
That's honestly all I want. I'm just gonna blame it on the fact that it was their first time implementing gear into the game, and hope that they've heavily improved upon it for MK11 going forward now that they've had time to tweak the system.

I mean, it's not like NRS doesn't listen to the community. Remember legendary gear in Injustice 2? People blew up over that stuff because of how difficult NRS made it to obtain them, so they ended up scaling the challenge back a bit. They could've kept it as is, y'know? Just took the blowback for it.

I really loved the gear system in Injustice 2, but there are some definite tweaks that could be made to please everyone.

Remove stats: make the gear purely cosmetic (I personally don't care about that as much as I'm generally more of an offline player anyway.)

More variety: I don't want 50 different pieces of gear that all have the same mask, but different layers of a cape. Give me more unique options. Give me hair options. If Kitana's in (which, she obvi will be) let me have different hair designs for her throughout the history of the game. Lemme give her the braided bun things she had in MKX, or her long hair from MK9 (They've obviously been trying to improve longer hairstyles as seen with Black Canary / Poison Ivy / Starfire)

Don't censor the gear: For the love of all things holy don't try and censor the gear. I hated every single piece of Wonder Woman's leg gear because of that annoying pad under her booty cheeks that made it look like she had a diaper on. Then Harley Quinn's shorts look stretched out as to not show anything. I get the game had a T rating, but that always just irked me to no end. But, then for some reason, Poison Ivy was allowed to have her butt out. Idk why they had to go and do MY favs dirty like that but ok I'll let it slide and hope they don't pull that with their M-rated title. I'm not saying I want them to overdo it like MK9, please, please don't do that. I just don't want it to LOOK like they got a call last minute to censor and decided to just stretch the fabric or put a strap somewhere. (Which is definitely the case considering the reveal trailer for Wonder Woman didn't have the diaper and the very early build clips of the game that was released didn't have Harley's shorts stretched out.)

However: I wouldn't mind getting stuff similar to Outcast Erron Black / Warrior Takeda :cool:

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
This has been a problem since MK9 at least, I remember not being able to select Reptile's human costume if I was player 2. It is likely the same issue, but it has bigger implications now.

v
"Functional local versus". This is the problem, games are now being made (on purpose) to be single player, and if you want versus or coop modes you have to go online (and pay for that service). Even Nintendo is now charging for online play. The goal is to kill (or to hamper in this case) local (offline) multiplayer modes in order to force the consumer to go online so they (companies) can increase their income.
I can see that as being a deliberate ploy in certain game genres (shooters, for example). But, for fighting games to not included a fully functional offline versus mode, it is tantamount to a Mario Kart game lacking split-screen multiplayer -- nonsensical.

The jury's out, and we'll see what M11K brings. But, I can tell you know, that if they gimp offline again, it won't just be me up in arms.
(NB: Injustice is pure casual fan service, while MK is the hardest core fighter IP NRS have -- they cannot get away with the shenanigans they can the comic book game, when it comes to their flagship IP...)

This has been a problem since MK9 at least, I remember not being able to select Reptile's human costume if I was player 2. It is likely the same issue, but it has bigger implications now.
I did not main Reptile in '9'... But, I might just try select him, just fire the game up to test out your theory. 'Cause, if it is an on-going / ingravescent theme -- of multiple [offline] users not being able to access content -- it might have to do with the way they're coding the games that is painting themselves into a corner--the more complex the systems they implement become.

Having spit-balled that, MKX allowed for all content on both player sides, P1 and P2... So, I'm not certain it's something they cannot do... if they want to.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
v
...But, for fighting games to not included a fully functional offline versus mode, it is tantamount to a Mario Kart game lacking split-screen multiplayer -- nonsensical.

I really hope you are right on this one, but we will know for sure in april anyway.