What's new

Lessons We Learned from MLG Anaheim

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
1) Having one good character may no longer be enough

There are simply too many good players, with too many drastically different playstyles, to
rely on a single setup to win a tourney of this level.

Players who were able to switch successfully came out on top -- namely Detroit and Denzel.
And very nearly PL. Adaptation and surprise are now as important as they have ever
been.

2) Learn to play Kung Lao

Please. This is critical. If you're going to pocket Kung Lao, 'Online Lao' is not
enough. Random teleports will be punished. Naked divekicks will be punished. Trying to
combo your way in on Mileena with high normals and 0 respect is not a good idea.

Please treat the man in the hat with necessary respect.. Strategically he still has a lot
of room to grow, and people should be taking his tactics as seriously as any of the other
characters.

3) As soon as you get comfortable, things change

This tournament was a gigantic lesson for a lot of people. Just when people figured many
of the popular characters had been fleshed out, we saw fresh tactics, new counters.
Anyone who felt comfortable going into EVO is now forced to take a long, hard look at every
single inch of their offense, defense, and matchup knowledge. Whatever worked in the last
tournament, may fail in the next.

As soon as you start to feel untouchable; that's when someone reaches out and grabs you.

4) Our c(k?)ommunity has some serious fighting spirit

We adapt. We woodshed. Faced with what was likely the most indimidating lineup for an MK
major ever, players upped their game and fought fearlessly. Faced with criticism of our
game, and complaints of impending doom, these participants put on what has to go down as one of the
greatest showcases in the history of ESports.

This weekend was absolute insane from the very first match.. It was a great showing for
MK, a great showing for MLG. Instead of tearing each other down we came together and
became stronger as a group. (Well, maybe except for Triforce.. but his bank account was
strengthened).

5) EVO Will Be Crazy

Yup. If you thought MLG was unpredictable, how much crazier will it be at EVO? Seeing
new tactics from the US coats/regions was wild enough -- but throw multiple countries in
the mix, and you're playing with dynamite. This weekend may have just been a warmup to
what we will see in 1 month. Excited yet?

6) There is no "Best coast".

If you didn't know -- now you know.

And in closing, some well-deserved props:
Props to Osu 16 Bit for levelling up and making a fantastic showing at MLG. You were
incredibly exciting to watch.
Props to Perfect Legend for injecting a huge amount of excitement and positive drama into
this tourney.
Props to the West Coast for not backing down and making a strong statement when it
counted.
Props to DetroitBalln for being the one who says the least, but speaks loudly with his
play.
Props to Denzell for the "Denzell Shimmy". And for keeping an entire tournament on their
toes.
Props to Tom Brady for being a fantastic commentaor and a great sport. And for really
bringing something special to this weekend.
Props to CD jr for never giving up no matter how the odds looked.
Props to Juicebox for coining the term "Nomad Run?"

Pig Of The Hut -- Kenshi's people called.. They want to have a word with you.

Very strong weekend for MK -- I've never been more excited about our game and the future
of this community.. Here's to a fantastic rest of 2012.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I disagree with the first lesson

Those who stuck with their main typically won. Having 2 characters you main is not that big of a deal in this game. Having "pocket" characters is such a waste of time though. Just find out how your main can chip away at any chinks in the armor your opponent has.

Evo... damn. Congrats really to everyone who showed up this weekend. DREAM matches were had, and made. Every match was hype.... from the first pool matches, to the very end.

long live MK? long live MK.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The VSM regime is over
People have leveled up and have showed that they will not let VSM dominate tournaments any longer. This is a great thing because it shows how much we have improved

Kabal is not bannable
No pure Kabals were in the top 8. Only DetroitBallin used him, and he was so on point with everything that he could have probably won with Shang. Also Liu is almost even with Kabal, I really wish DJT would have went to him instead of KL in the GFs

MK is not dead
Nope

To be fair....

All the fighting games on MLG's stream had only like 2k-3k viewers...

In comparison
MLG's LoL stream had 25k-30k
ECT4 had 10-14k

There has to be more than 4k members in the MK9 community alone. Whats with the low numbers? With numbers like those MK, SC5 and KOF are endanger of being dropped at a moments notice (also kof is pretty much dropped)

To be fair....

All the fighting games on MLG's stream had only like 2k-3k viewers...

In comparison
MLG's LoL stream had 25k-30k
ECT4 had 10-14k

There has to be more than 4k members in the MK9 community alone. Whats with the low numbers? With numbers like those MK, SC5 and KOF are endanger of being dropped at a moments notice (also kof is pretty much dropped)
Wrong that was for twitch.tv there were much more viewers on MLG ,and Gamestop(I think?) streams.

Wrong that was for twitch.tv there were much more viewers on MLG ,and Gamestop(I think?) streams.
I believe those are sync/linked with twitch. Remember CBS and MLG deal? Well CBS owns gamespot and has a partnership with Twitch.

And even then lets presume you're are correct.
If the fighters at MLG only had 4k on twitch and possibly more through other means, and LoL and SC2 had nearly 8-9x those numbers (atleast) on twitch then can't you say they (sc2 and lol) would have much more viewers if you counted the MLG and Gamespot stream?

The end result is the same. The fighting scene needs to pick it up or risk having their games drop at MLG. KOF is already getting dropped (rumor and hinted), so the best thing to do is to take precautionary action to prevent the same thing happening to MK.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
2) Learn to play Kung Lao

Please. This is critical. If you're going to pocket Kung Lao, 'Online Lao' is not
enough. Random teleports will be punished. Naked divekicks will be punished. Trying to
combo your way in on Mileena with high normals and 0 respect is not a good idea.

Please treat the man in the hat with necessary respect.. Strategically he still has a lot
of room to grow, and people should be taking his tactics as seriously as any of the other
characters.
I've already expressed how in awe I am of DJT's performance, but this is why part of me wanted PL to get through to grand finals, to show how much of a monster KL really is, and not just the community having a stroke over what low hat does and doesn't do anymore. DJT has the right fundamentals to play Lao, the experience, not so much.

However, this in turn is why DJT beat PL, he (if necessary) counterpicks the previous match more so than the character he just got beat by.

I believe those are sync/linked with twitch. Remember CBS and MLG deal? Well CBS owns gamespot and has a partnership with Twitch.

And even then lets presume you're are correct.
If the fighters at MLG only had 4k on twitch and possibly more through other means, and LoL and SC2 had nearly 8-9x those numbers (atleast) on twitch then can't you say they (sc2 and lol) would have much more viewers if you counted the MLG and Gamespot stream?

The end result is the same. The fighting scene needs to pick it up or risk having their games drop at MLG. KOF is already getting dropped (rumor and hinted), so the best thing to do is to take precautionary action to prevent the same thing happening to MK.
The problem is we don't know how many viewers MK truly had ,so we can only go off of twitch :|

Big Frog

Noob
I don't care how many views there were, that was one of the best tourneys I've watched so far. If not THEE best.

And on top of that some Bernie swag...my favorite stream ever.

The problem is we don't know how many viewers MK truly had ,so we can only go off of twitch :|
I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. But given the likely hood that the fighting games (including mk) was drastically lower than LoL or SC2, this is a sign that the fighting scene should step it up. There has to be atleast 10k people in the MK community alone, there is no reason why MLG fighter stream had only 2-4k when it had all 3 games on.

I don't care how many views there were, that was one of the best tourneys I've watched so far. If not THEE best.

And on top of that some Bernie swag...my favorite stream ever.
But views are important in terms of will MLG keep XYZ game in. If we want to keep MK in MLG then we have to up it. We can't just sit idle and be like "yeah numbers aren't important, all that is important is the matches", because at the end of the day MLG is a business. They aren't hosting any game up because they love it, they do it because of potential profit, and if they don't get that kind of expected profit, they will drop games and pick up others that are more profitable.

Arturo straight up said that MK was the least of his worries as a game being dropped from MLG. He's our inside man, so I believe him.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Arturo straight up said that MK was the least of his worries as a game being dropped from MLG. He's our inside man, so I believe him.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
No you're right. KOF is probably getting dropped. The fact it was even in the Anaheim event was a miracle in itself. But that doesn't mean we can't bump the numbers higher and 1) get bigger sponsors 2) secure a spot like how SC2 is forever at MLG 3) spread interest and grow the scene. I mean, I just don't understand why people would be content with being inferior to game like LoL ( I think LoL is a garbage competitive game and doesn't deserve the number it gets).

Arturo is probably more worried about KOF since there is a bit of drama between the community and MLG. There was even a post that finger-pointed at Arturo on a main post on Orochinagi.com (spelling? think of it as the TYM forum for KOF). The fact that the event was in socal and there was like less than 50 entrants is appalling.

I read to "business" and became uninterested.
O sorry I forgot how some people in TYM just don't get it. My bad.

fg streams still get nothing compared to LOL and SC2, mlg obviously knows that a gigantic MK following won't appear overnight. They are merely exposing the game to a wide audience of people who probably didn't even know that Mortal Kombat had a tournament scene. They definitely won't drop MK this early, its shown the most promise out of the three games that were picked up.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
MK, SC, and KOF will never pull capcom numbers for streams. There just not very fun to watch for most people, SC is 3D so that puts people off, MK9 well 2D has a whole slew of problems that make it boring to watch, and well KoF has some of the flash of marvel, it takes forever and is really repetitive.

SC2 and LoL get a lot of there numbers from players, and they both have ass loads of players, and are considerably more popular around the world then fighting games.

Also there's halo, but halo could pull like 2 viewers and they would still keep it as its like the granddaddy posterchild of esports.

I have said it several times, and ill probably say it a bunch more, NRS should consider making there games more spectator friendly.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The lesson I and many others have learned is to never get trolled again by stories about Curbo not making it to a tournament. :rolleyes:

For real though, there is much to be learned from this event. MK9 will never lose its spark as long as our hype is preserved.

MK, SC, and KOF will never pull capcom numbers for streams. There just not very fun to watch for most people, SC is 3D so that puts people off, MK9 well 2D has a whole slew of problems that make it boring to watch, and well KoF has some of the flash of marvel, it takes forever and is really repetitive.

SC2 and LoL get a lot of there numbers from players, and they both have ass loads of players, and are considerably more popular around the world then fighting games.

Also there's halo, but halo could pull like 2 viewers and they would still keep it as its like the granddaddy posterchild of esports.

I have said it several times, and ill probably say it a bunch more, NRS should consider making there games more spectator friendly.
I agree with last statement. How entertaining the game is spectating wise is very important if you want the game to be "e-sports". The game has to be fun to watch even to people that don't play the game. There are thousand of people that don't like playing marvel at all, but will watch it because it is a fun game to watch.

I do have to disagree with some of the earlier statements, but thats not really MK related so I'll save it for another day. (i don't think kof is repetitive). Also LoL is complete ass to watch. Have you seen an avg high level LoL game? 10-15 mins of passive farming.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I do have to disagree with some of the earlier statements, but thats not really MK related so I'll save it for another day. (i don't think kof is repetitive). Also LoL is complete ass to watch. Have you seen an avg high level LoL game? 10-15 mins of passive farming.
To be honest I haven't watched a lot of KoF so my opinion on it isn't great, I probably just watched a bunch ass matches, who knows.

Also I'm not saying LoL is enjoyable to watch, but the game is so god damn popular around the world, DoTA clones have just exploded over the last couple of years. LoL players watch streams to get better at the game, and riot usually put a link to the stream on there like launcher or some shit, so every LoL player can see it.

Also I'm not saying LoL is enjoyable to watch, but the game is so god damn popular around the world, DoTA clones have just exploded over the last couple of years. LoL players watch streams to get better at the game, and riot usually put a link to the stream on there like launcher or some shit, so every LoL player can see it.
Yeah thats one thing Riot (the makers of LoL for people that don't know) does well with LoL. They know how to market their game to the competitive scene. They throw money (5 mil tournament series) into the scene knowing that they'll easily make profit off it and on top of that heavily market their game through social media, by talking to gaming leagues, and with clever ways to advertise their game. They are very much in touch with their community unlike majority of the fighting game companies. NRS (and other companies) need to think creative ways to do things like this. WB is already a backer of MLG, but I feel they don't know how to market it beside jsut putting a few thousand in the pot. While that is nice, it doesn't really do anything to boost the scene to make it bigger compared to what other companies have done.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Those who stuck with their main typically won. Having 2 characters you main is not that big of a deal in this game. Having "pocket" characters is such a waste of time though. Just find out how your main can chip away at any chinks in the armor your opponent has.
I hear you, but lets be realistic -- everyone who didn't switch, was eliminated. At the current level of competition there are just too many styles to play against, and you can't have anticipated them all before the tournament.

RagingNight -- I doubt MLG expects fighting games to have the same numbers as SC2. You're talking about a game that sold 1 and a half million copies in its first two days. LoL has over 32 million registered players.

Remember that fighting games have had a tournament scene for awhille.. But the ESports scene has always been dominated by PC gaming.

The important thing IMO is not that we have as many viewers.. It's that we continue to show that MK is one of the most exciting games and communities to watch. And I don't think you could have done a better job of that than what we saw at MLG.