What's new

Learning Footsies

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=221097&p=8157947#post8157947

When i first found the tournament scene back in CvS1 days, i remember it took me a very long time to understand what people like Valle and Choi were doing on the ground to control the match. At first sight it seems like a bunch of normal moves and pokes, but there's a purpose behind them.

I was lucky enough to be surrounded by SoCal footsies when i was learning. Not everyone has the luxury of living in a fighting game hotspot, so i've been writing these articles to give everyone the same head start that i had. If you want to compete at tournament level, you absolutely need to know this stuff. You don't have to use it but you have to be aware it exists.

Now that i've written five or six of these, i figured i'd mention them here. If you aren't already using these tactics, i really think they'll help improve your game overnight. First off, here's a primer explaining the concept:

What Are Footsies?

If you already know what the term means, feel free to skip that one and get right down to practical applications. Each of these articles covers three or four specific tactics which you can integrate into your gameplan to make it a little more solid:

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 1 - Footsies 101
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 2 - jab/short feints
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 3 - how to use the corner
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 4 - baiting supers
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 5 - jumping without dying

These usually take over 10 hours to write simply because good examples are hard to come by, but i'll keep it going every Saturday for as long as i can. I hope you guys find them useful and thanks for reading.

**Taken from SRK.com. Thanks to THTB (aka Azuro) for the link.**

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Great thread, Juggernaut.

For those of you who played MKA, specifically those who I took my time to teach basic elements of the game. This should be a quick review.

Does anybody remember where the term "Ganoning" came from? lol I used to crack up all the time because Ganon was the worst at it when put in this situation. Its a tactic I used on everybody, including great players like "Eazytobeat," but out of all of them, Ganon can be the best example of "Footsies," at least for me. My favorite character, as far as footsies go, is scorpion. CS, walk up, stop CS, CS, Walk up(Keep Walking) and you get a window of opportunities, depending on your opponents mind frame on the match. Gan0n used to parry every time, leaving me with a large combo.

On SFIV, I like to walk up and dash back. Rose has a really nice dash move, so its almost without risk, most of the time... Either that or a slide, depending on what you believe your opponents mind frame is. Of course, you have to condition your opponent before you even attempt any of this, otherwise its a lost cause...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Ugh, fuck Rose, I don't even try to play footsies with you, I have to just zone you or rush you down.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I still need to incorporate footsies more into my game. They hardly matter online though. Man I am so tired of lag and delay. :(

CJ81

Noob
I'm a huge advocate of playing footsies because it allows you to get distance on your opponent, find safe attack ranges. Very often scrubs and casual players don't know what to do cuz as others have said they think the game is all about specials/supers/combos. I main Bison in SF IV/Super and I constantly control range with standing RH , standing MK, crouching MP or MK as well as DR's and fake stomps by empty jumping, and Bison's pokes are great at controlling chars like Dudley (my friend was the #2 PSN Dud player in the world at one point, the guy is a beast) and I've given him headaches with Bison's pokes and footsies because they own Dud's for free. I also have gotten a lot of hate in the Fight Night series for using my jab, ring generalship and boxing ppl who expect me to stand there and slug.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
I can understand footsies well in Street Fighter IV because of their many long ranged pokes. But I'm lost with the whole footsie game in Mortal Kombat. I always thought it was non existent in the UMK3 days. I was under the impression that you had to be in-close rushing down or far away zoning. Footsies is like the immediate of the two.

Given that most of the cast share the same basic normals, I was wondering if someone could give a run down on the MK footsie theory regarding FP, BP, FK, BK, D+FK, D+BK, D+FP, etc. I'm glad we have command normals cause it adds more depth, eg. Mileena's command normals have long range.