What's new

layout suggestions?

hi, i haven't been able to find any info on this on my own, so i thought i'd make my own thread (please point me in the right direction if i'm just an idiot and i've overlooked another thread though!). i'm a reptile player who's just gotten his hands on an (almost) new Madcatz SSF4 TE S fight stick and i'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for alternative button layouts, with this being meant for other fighting games and all. so far literally the only change i've made is i've swapped the block button to the right bumper so that it's on my top row instead of the bottom. i've not really got a clue what a more suitable layout might be for mortal kombat. help please!

oh, when i said button layout, i meant the actual button assigments in game. i'm not quite expert enough to get a new plate and change the whole physical button layout yet. i'm just wondering how i should assign the buttons in game so that they might be more suited for a six-button layout. sorry for the confusion, thanks a lot though!
i haven't actually had much trouble with my current layout which is barely edited, but i looked at some math footage with the announcers making fun of some guy for having the one button throw on his fight stick, so naturally i'm all insecure now.

Tremloc

Noob
I do

1 - block - 2
3 - throw - 4

some people do

1 - 2 - throw
3 - 4 - block

Generally the 1-2-3-4 button order are pretty standard between all the setups, it's personal preference where the block goes and throw isn't strictly necessary.

I don't even know which of the other buttons are switch stance and tag.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
oh, when i said button layout, i meant the actual button assigments in game. i'm not quite expert enough to get a new plate and change the whole physical button layout yet. i'm just wondering how i should assign the buttons in game so that they might be more suited for a six-button layout. sorry for the confusion, thanks a lot though!
i haven't actually had much trouble with my current layout which is barely edited, but i looked at some math footage with the announcers making fun of some guy for having the one button throw on his fight stick, so naturally i'm all insecure now.
Ahhh ok!!! Sorry about that!!

Well for me, if I have the layout

I have
1 = Tag, 2 = FP, 3 = BP,
4 = Block, 5 = FK, 6 = BK.

I have it this way as my thumb can access the block button quickly.... Don't know if this is of any use!!!

ELC

Scrublord McGee
My suggestion is for more of a keyboard approach:

BTHS (Block, Tag, Throw, Stance)

How to hold your hand: four fingers on 1234, thumb on B. This allows you to hold the five major buttons for MK all at once, allowing better execution with enough practice. It also makes things like Jax's multi-slam a lot easier ^_^.

How to hold your hand: four fingers on 1234, thumb on B. This allows you to hold the five major buttons for MK all at once, allowing better execution with enough practice. It also makes things like Jax's multi-slam a lot easier ^_^.
this is the only idea that i had when i was thinking about it myself. it just seems like using your pinky is kind of asking for trouble, if you know what i mean. i'm just worried i won't have enough control and strength in my pinky to ensure that i don't fuck up.

Ahhh ok!!! Sorry about that!!

Well for me, if I have the layout

I have
1 = Tag, 2 = FP, 3 = BP,
4 = Block, 5 = FK, 6 = BK.

I have it this way as my thumb can access the block button quickly.... Don't know if this is of any use!!!
i like this idea too, it seems like it could be troublesome to reach the kick buttons with this layout
more suggestions welcome while i try these out! i hope this thread helps others, i think i caught one or two other posters asking about the same thing.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
this is the only idea that i had when i was thinking about it myself. it just seems like using your pinky is kind of asking for trouble, if you know what i mean. i'm just worried i won't have enough control and strength in my pinky to ensure that i don't fuck up.
You know what to do, start pumping some iron your little finger.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
To be honest, I haven't tried that stick out myself, so I'm not sure how hard the buttons are to press down. I do know that QWER-space-mouse works well for games like League of Legends, so I figure that it would work well execution wise for a fighter like MK.

If it was SF however, I would recommend:

LP-MP-HP
LK-MP-HP instead.

D_W

The Could-Have-Been King

This is how I had it when I first start, but I found it to be very uncomfortable and pretty awkward.

Personally I use:
Throw - 1 - 2 - Tag (I don't play Tag so it doesn't matter to me where it is)
Block - 3 - 4 - Stance

It's still not perfect however. I find myself sometimes hitting throw thinking it's Light Punch because of muscle memory from other fighting games.

EDIT: Oh what's good about that lay out though is that you can use your thumb to hit the block button. I honestly could not see having the block button in any other spot on an 8 button standard layout.

The best thing to do is experiment and find something you like.