What's new

General/Other Lately I've been...

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I thought that maybe we here in the Ermac community could use a thread where we could consistently post our latest personal developments. I always get a LOT of insight from reading about the progress of other people. This could perhaps be a place where people can post on their development and have it commented on by others. So!

Lately I've been...

...realizing that I'm completely underusing Ermac's f+4. Particularly in matches where a character wants to dash block in and pressure you, like Cage, it becomes a very powerful tool around sweep range. Characters who are dash blocking in are not going to be blocking low, so I've found I can force my opponents to really slow their pace as I keep the threat of TKP balanced with the fact that I may rush in on THEM and f+4 as they approach my sweep range.

Once you gain the f+4 advantage, you can momentarily pressure them, or do something like iaFB to push them back a bit and somewhat reset the situation.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I thought that maybe we here in the Ermac community could use a thread where we could consistently post our latest personal developments. I always get a LOT of insight from reading about the progress of other people. This could perhaps be a place where people can post on their development and have it commented on by others. So!

Lately I've been...

...realizing that I'm completely underusing Ermac's f+4. Particularly in matches where a character wants to dash block in and pressure you, like Cage, it becomes a very powerful tool around sweep range. Characters who are dash blocking in are not going to be blocking low, so I've found I can force my opponents to really slow their pace as I keep the threat of TKP balanced with the fact that I may rush in on THEM and f+4 as they approach my sweep range.

Once you gain the f+4 advantage, you can momentarily pressure them, or do something like iaFB to push them back a bit and somewhat reset the situation.
I ve been using it, not much though, against Cimmerian's JC in our casuals and its very good indeed. BUT. Its risky. If F4 is blocked, especially from JC, you get full combo punished to a nut-punch. Another very good strategy i can tell you Skkra is dashing throws. Ermac's throw... is ridiculus. Range, fight reset and my favorite, although i must test it further, it wins against specific normals AND specials. For example. If you see a rushdown character trying to dash block his way in, you can dash in fast and grab him. That will catch him by surprise almost all the time. If the same scenario appears again, you can mix it up from there.

Error

DF2+R2
I've been using Ermac's 121 string a lot more often now, it's fast, has decent range, and most people never see the delayed 3rd hit coming and end up letting go of block. It's also +6 on hit so I can usually sneak in and poke/throw/air blast/121.

I've also been doing jkxxairblast on block to condition my opponent to block after jumpkicks, opening up throws.

Skkra

dashing throws. Ermac's throw... is ridiculus. Range, fight reset and my favorite, although i must test it further, it wins against specific normals AND specials.
Thanks, Metzos. I tried using this and you're right, it generally works better than dash~F+4 since its lower risk.

Does everyone have the same throw range in this game? I know in Street Fighter 4, different characters have different throw ranges.

Error, thanks for mentioning your throw setup as well off a jumpkick. I'm going to use that as well. Lately I've been throwing like crazy - throws are honestly pretty ridiculous in this game, considering how hard they are to break, and the fact that you have to stop blocking to do so.

What are people doing after a blocked 1,2,1? You're at neutral frames and they're slightly pushed back.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Thanks, Metzos. I tried using this and you're right, it generally works better than dash~F+4 since its lower risk.

Does everyone have the same throw range in this game? I know in Street Fighter 4, different characters have different throw ranges.

Error, thanks for mentioning your throw setup as well off a jumpkick. I'm going to use that as well. Lately I've been throwing like crazy - throws are honestly pretty ridiculous in this game, considering how hard they are to break, and the fact that you have to stop blocking to do so.

What are people doing after a blocked 1,2,1? You're at neutral frames and they're slightly pushed back.
No problem m8. From what i ve seen only Ermac, Noob Saibot and Quan Chi have really good throw range.

After a blocked 121 i usually dash for a throw attempt, d4, d3, F4, F2, U4. Sometimes i even attempt a jump in but its abit risky though.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Lately I've been working on my Iab because I havent 100% perfected it yet still getting neutral jump punches sometimes

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Thanks to Metzos making me realize how to truly play Ermac... I believe I have improved a great bit just recently.

Also, the JK starter combo to equal 37% = oh yes.

KRYS9984

Noob
F4 is useful against a dash-blocking opponent because some of them will not actually crouch block in between dashes.

However, it is a little risky because Ermac is -9 if blocked. If you want to use it, have your B2 ready; sometimes it will catch an opponent off guard and it will spare you a breaker (if you have one) or a nice chunk of your life bar.

If you are hesitant to use F4 in a match-up but want another tool, give F2 a try. It has good range, hits a standing / crouching opponent, grants you +4 on block and on hit you can easily confirm TKS for a combo. I've been using this one a lot lately and it really messes up a lot of people who are not familiar with Ermacs' frame data.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Thanks to Metzos making me realize how to truly play Ermac... I believe I have improved a great bit just recently.

Also, the JK starter combo to equal 37% = oh yes.
No problemo m8. I am very eager to help anyone who wants to learn this character fully.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
It's annoying online. I still don't always get D1's to push right ,sometimes I whiff it/ use lift instead.
Lift is good too. In terms of dmg i think if you finish the combo with TKP it does 2% more dmg. Its just that TKP sends the opponent full screen while lift leaves him in sweep range. I cant even AA properly online :p.

Lift is good too. In terms of dmg i think if you finish the combo with TKP it does 2% more dmg. Its just that TKP sends the opponent full screen while lift leaves him in sweep range. I cant even AA properly online :p.
Think of it this way:You pull this combo off against (JIP,B1,1,4,EX Lift,JK,TP,JK,TP,D1,Push 53%) Kabal ,but end it in lift instead. We're still ok right? Now go for the sweep ,but Kabal armors through with his EX:ND and you can see how it can be a bad thing in situations right ,Metzos? I didn't mean online btw, I meant in general even in practice mode.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Think of it this way:You pull this combo off against (JIP,B1,1,4,EX Lift,JK,TP,JK,TP,D1,Push 53%) Kabal ,but end it in lift instead. We're still ok right? Now go for the sweep ,but Kabal armors through with his EX:ND and you can see how it can be a bad thing in situations right ,Metzos? I didn't mean online btw, I meant in general even in practice mode.
You could use it against characters that can outzone you, for example, Noob Saibot or Freddy. Not a bad idea actually. Well the logical thing is that if you finish the combo like you said against Kabal, then you dont do anything. You just w8 and see if you can bait anything he ll do.

You could use it against characters that can outzone you, for example, Noob Saibot or Freddy. Not a bad idea actually. Well the logical thing is that if you finish the combo like you said against Kabal, then you dont do anything. You just w8 and see if you can bait anything he ll do.
Yeah, I just wanted to give a scenario/example of where it could be bad to finish it with lift.

zaf

professor
Lately I have been working my sweep game.
A lot of people still do not use his sweep. I am trying to replace his d4 with sweep.
They cover the same ground, but sweep is +2 on block.

grab grab grab, grab all the time.
another good grab set up b1~grab.
people will start to catch on and expect a tech and eat the full b114 poking out.

My iafb is where I want it to be. I have been practicing it non stop and it is paying off.
All I do are djk combos now. Its worth the extra 5-7% ( depending on the combo. I even have a new "swag" combo:

b34~teleport jk~teleport d1~lift dash b12f1 dash tkp. This is not a high% combo. I think its either 37% or 43% i forget, but its still flashy.

Something new I am trying to develop is a whiff punish with b34.
While playing swift tom hanks at VSM last weekend i caught on to something sektor can do. After sektors f2, he can do a b3 and this does go over d3s but not d1s. So after a jip 31 ( which is jailed) i do a b34. I am doing this to try and catch someone poking me after the 31.

What I want to work on: A better b2 game.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I've been having great progress with my Ermac as of late, still having trouble with when to use U4, as well as getting people in a position I can actually utilize U4. Jump forward/backward IAFB has been a game changer for me as of late, as well as 121 as a block string. The pushback combined with 0 on block is huge for Ermac. Lovin' him lately.

Skkra

Metzos, I was watching some of your videos and noticed that once or twice, you actually go for F+4 on a character who is waking up. I thought that was interesting and tried it myself, and was surprised to see that it was somehow stuffing some characters wakeup moves... I swear I actually even stuffed a wakeup Nomad Dash with both F+4 and later, by accident with just standing 2,2.

Has anyone ever tried using this to try and bait/stuff certain wakeups?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Lately I have been working my sweep game.
A lot of people still do not use his sweep. I am trying to replace his d4 with sweep.
They cover the same ground, but sweep is +2 on block.

grab grab grab, grab all the time.
another good grab set up b1~grab.
people will start to catch on and expect a tech and eat the full b114 poking out.

My iafb is where I want it to be. I have been practicing it non stop and it is paying off.
All I do are djk combos now. Its worth the extra 5-7% ( depending on the combo. I even have a new "swag" combo:

b34~teleport jk~teleport d1~lift dash b12f1 dash tkp. This is not a high% combo. I think its either 37% or 43% i forget, but its still flashy.

Something new I am trying to develop is a whiff punish with b34.
While playing swift tom hanks at VSM last weekend i caught on to something sektor can do. After sektors f2, he can do a b3 and this does go over d3s but not d1s. So after a jip 31 ( which is jailed) i do a b34. I am doing this to try and catch someone poking me after the 31.

What I want to work on: A better b2 game.
It does 37% dmg, 40% from a successful jp. About it B34, good idea zaf. After a blocked F2 a B34 would be really good, Sektor like. I m gonna try that out.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Metzos, I was watching some of your videos and noticed that once or twice, you actually go for F+4 on a character who is waking up. I thought that was interesting and tried it myself, and was surprised to see that it was somehow stuffing some characters wakeup moves... I swear I actually even stuffed a wakeup Nomad Dash with both F+4 and later, by accident with just standing 2,2.

Its very risky though m8. I usually go for it if i have a breaker or if i m feeling lucky.

zaf

professor
anothet thing im been trying out is uppercut or 22 after a jip. the reason is they both give nice knockback that creates a good spacing situation

KRYS9984

Noob

I have used this in a very basic (but effective) corner pressure game.

If my opponent is knocked down in the corner and I have a breaker or feeling lucky (with life lead), I will attempt a mid / low mix up situation. The trick is to read your opponent and only use two moves, F4 and U4. If he / she stands without a wake-up, they'll eat a F4, if they play dead (on the ground), they'll eat an U4.

After successfully hitting the opponent with a couple of these, I will usually attempt a last U4 knock down and bait a wake up attack which they usually go for out of frustration. This leads to a nice +35% combo which puts them back in the corner.

I have cornered many opponents with this and taken a nice chunk of their life bar. If by any chance they made a good read and capitalize on it, I just breaker them back in the corner and use TKP or the threat of TKP outside of jump to keep them there.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Starting to use B3, 4 more into my game. Its a string not used much and think its a bit underrated.

KRYS9984

Noob
Starting to use B3, 4 more into my game. Its a string not used much and think its a bit underrated.
B3 - 4 is a very good string; I mainly use it to punish opponents with a 35% (no meter) combo.

However, using it off the ground is a little tricky; even though the full string is 0 on block, the 4 wiffs a crouching opponent and can be punished easily. If using it often (to the same opponent) they might start fishing for it. If you half string, the B3 is -6 on block and you're screwed, if you do the full string on a crouching opponent you're (possibly) screwed.

This string is perfect to punish opponents, but for ground play I usually stick to 312 - B114 - F4(B2) or F2 because there is less risk (except for F4 but you have to choose your moments to execute it).

If it's been working for you, go ahead and B3 - 4 man, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. A nice little trap that I've used in the past is B3 - 4 into sweep, you'll be at +2 on block or get the knock down on a standing opponent.