What's new

Question - Lasher Lasher Shortcomings - How to Overcome?

Bhagwad

Noob
TL;DRTakeda Lasher is the only character I've played since I picked up MKX a few weeks ago. Here are some problems I'm facing, and I'd like the community's opinion on how to deal with them:

1. No full screen options

I know everyone says that Lasher range is a strong point. But once opponents see my 3/4 screen combos, they simple walk all the way to the other end of the screen where my whips can't reach them. Then they start spamming projectiles at me and I to slowly and painfully inch my way over to them.

I take lots of damage this way. Takeda has no teleports and his kunai is a bit tough to use at full screen honestly (I never get the inputs right for the long screen kunai).

2. No close up options!

Often I'll be able to chain combo an opponent...right until they hit the corner. Then I don't know what to do. Takeda's best moves are slow starters which are easily beat out by the opposition in terms of starter times.

I can use F1(2)2+4, but then I'll need to use the close kunai to make my string safe. And like I said, I can't seem to pull it off. In the corner, even my close kunais don't seem to hit, making f12+4 very unsafe on block. I'm left with b21 and that has 24 frames of start up! Not to mention predictable.

The only low option I have is b3, which has a start up time of 21! So when I get an opponent in the corner, my first priority is to put some distance between us so I can continue my mix ups from a safe distance.

I've lost many, many games because I didn't know what to do with the opponent once I had them in the corner. Paradoxically, most opponents want to get me in the corner. I know I should be able to do something nice, but I don't know how!

3. Difficulty extricating myself from close onslaughts

When blocking in the corner, I can poke out with d3 or d1. But then what? There's no string I can safely start that with low frames that has a chance of beating out the opponent's moves. The "Ultimate Takeda Guide" says that "a blocked d3 can be followed up with a b3 or a b2". But I have never found this to be the case. What does that mean? That if the opponent blocks a d3, I have enough time to start a b2? That has not been my experience.

Which brings me to perhaps my final (perhaps not Takeda specific) point.

3. Unable to Punish after Block

Ultimately my goal is to get my opponent with whip assault (bf2). I can't use it by itself in a corner since it has 18 start up frames and will get me killed. So I try and lead into it with a string like 112. "1" has 9 start up frames, so in theory I should be able to beat out any attack after successfully blocking a string.

In practice however, I never manage to actually start the string with "1" despite madly mashing the "1" button to get it in as early as possible. It always gets blocked, if not punished. I've had some success with d3, but I don't know any follow ups to get out of corner pressure.

Example: Here's Kung Lao beating the crap out of me and I'm unable to get a safe opening to punish. At which point would you choose to retaliate, and with what?

TL;DR: Most of my moves work great at medium range, since I can't be easily punished at a distance. But close ups are unsafe. And I'm powerless at fullscreen range!

Last edited:

Bhagwad

Noob
well, move takeda into the proper range, lasher takeda is amazing at whiff punishing.
That's my question. How do I move him without getting hit? From long range to medium range, and from close range to medium range.

No teleports, and no easy missiles. I'm looking for specific strategies and advice if possible, as explained in point 1.

For example two games ago, I got owned by a rifle totting Erron Black who just kept moving away into full screen range and shooting his gun.

Earlier today, I was ranged again by a Shinnok necromancer guy. I took a video here:

HateMe!

Noob
They're not Lasher shortcomings, they're your shortcomings as a player. You can neutral duck lots of projectiles then take a step forward or even dash before the next one. Kunai is a decent projectile as well, practice the input until you get it 10/10. etc.

Bhagwad

Noob
They're not Lasher shortcomings, they're your shortcomings as a player. You can neutral duck lots of projectiles then take a step forward or even dash before the next one. Kunai is a decent projectile as well, practice the input until you get it 10/10. etc.
Isn't ducking without blocking dangerous if the opponent (like Liu Kang) fires a low projectile?

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I hate when maniac online Lao's think -3 hat = plus on block, keep pressing buttons/insta air dive kick. Plz don't let him do this to you... :(

If you are going to play Takeda, learn to love F122+4. For real tho! D1 hit? F122+4. D3 hit? F122+4. Opponent blocked D3? Lol fuck it its plus on block and lol online, F122+4. Opponent put themselves at negative frames? F122+4. Am I using Takeda? Yes? Okay... F122+4. :DOGE

Bhagwad

Noob
I hate when maniac online Lao's think -3 hat = plus on block, keep pressing buttons/insta air dive kick. Plz don't let him do this to you... :(

If you are going to play Takeda, learn to love F122+4. For real tho! D1 hit? F122+4. D3 hit? F122+4. Opponent blocked D3? Lol fuck it its plus on block and lol online, F122+4. Opponent put themselves at negative frames? F122+4. Am I using Takeda? Yes? Okay... F122+4. :DOGE
Thanks, that's helpful! Quick question - how do you deal with your opponent once you've got them in the corner? Normally I make F122+4 safe with a kunai, but at close quarters the kunai never hits...

Wigy

There it is...
that had nothing to do with any mu exp. he was leagues better than you.

You're respecting way too much and then when you try poke or do something to get out you're doing the wrong thing, and then when it works you dont capitalise.

Not trying to be a dick, pick your moment, d1 then f12.

sure as hell dont do d3 hit him and then njp, you just gave up your turn.

As for general play. okay you only have kunai at full screen but if you work your way in 3/4 they have to respect diagonal 1 if you block a projectile etc.

Also from about 2/3 screen you can hit them with bf2 ex.

your grab is also plus a bagillion, block pokes then grab, if they start jumping etc to get out then u njp.

Grab as much as u can vs lao as his wakeup is total ass dildos

Last edited:

Bhagwad

Noob
that had nothing to do with any mu exp. he was leagues better than you.

You're respecting way too much and then when you try poke or do something to get out you're doing the wrong thing, and then when it works you dont capitalise.

Not trying to be a dick, pick your moment, d1 then f12.

sure as hell dont do d3 hit him and then njp, you just gave up your turn.

As for general play. okay you only have kunai at full screen but if you work your way in 3/4 they have to respect diagonal 1 if you block a projectile etc.

Also from about 2/3 screen you can hit them with bf2 ex.

your grab is also plus a bagillion, block pokes then grab, if they start jumping etc to get out then u njp.

Grab as much as u can vs lao as his wakeup is total ass dildos
That's useful, thanks! I do the NJP because it works against the AI in practice mode (another reason why I suspect spending time too much in practice mode isn't that useful...) :(

Few questions: What is "mu exp"? Is "Diagonal 1", the "low slash" where he goes down on his knees and slashes at mid? When you say "grab is plus a bagillion", you mean that I have the advantage when I execute a grab? I think my grab is around 10 frames. Isn't that dangerous?

I will definitely try and f12 more when I connect with d3. Thanks!

Wigy

There it is...
That's useful, thanks! I do the NJP because it works against the AI in practice mode (another reason why I suspect spending time too much in practice mode isn't that useful...) :(

Few questions: What is "mu exp"? Is "Diagonal 1", the "low slash" where he goes down on his knees and slashes at mid? When you say "grab is plus a bagillion", you mean that I have the advantage when I execute a grab? I think my grab is around 10 frames. Isn't that dangerous?

I will definitely try and f12 more when I connect with d3. Thanks!
If you block a poke depending on the Character your poke will effectively be 6 frames as they will be -4 or so.

Grabs are great vs pokes on block as they are reversals. So come out on the first available frame.

Basically the game times the grab perfectly for you if you press it in blockstun (the time in which you're in stun from blocking a move)

MU exp means matchup experience, i.e learning how to specifically deal with a character

After your grab you are like +20 or something and its a hard knock down (they cant roll away so have to either block or wakeup)

Diagonal 1 is the mid long range chain. The input is like df1

F12 is better than 112 as its a mid and can be staggered or used to go into a mixup with low chain

Any more questions let me know. If you're eu ps4 i can help you out in game

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I usually use SR Takeda for teleport shenanigans and lulz, but as I screwed around with Lasher I think your main mixup tool is f1(2)2+4, and b2 string to a lesser extent, then when and what will you cancel into.

Last hit is overhead for example, you can cancel into low whip (db2) to catch them off guard and even on block you are fairly safe. If the opponent expects a gap in your strings then you can blow up their attempt to poke/armor with this as well.

Also b212+4 string is all overhead, but you can cancel into low safe special anytime.

In the corner close kunai always works, no/smaller gap and it will hit or do ex. Things like when you knocked them down doing b3 ~ ex kunai is a double quick low or b2 ~ ex kunai is quick oh-low . If it hits you can combo with f1 string. You can't really armor break with Takeda I think but can counter many wakeups with njp. If they block it it's still your turn if it hits the way down.

And yeah, try to poke or grab those gaps in the opponents pressure as the others said.

Of course practicing execution is important as always im fighting games so do something like 10 far kunais in a row on both sides. If you can do it that's fairly consistent.

Wigy

There it is...
learn to love f12+4, do it from far away, it'll make your opponent think twice about jumping or any other sort of action really.
Its full punish on whiff very very easily,

I would say, do f12 fullscreen if they jump or move in then hitconfirm into 3+4.

mix in blank f1's as well.

F12 is the best friend of Takeda in almost all his variation outside of Lasher where Low slash is your best friend walk slowly toward them and once you're in range low slash If you think they are going to jump it use bf2 the word is be patient walk slowly toward them or If they are being predictale use the spin kick to get in it's safe