What's new

Lao is Johnnys best cameo

I'm still finding Stryker to give Johnny a lot of the same tools as lao.
Can you explain a little more? Both low and high baton can only be used within close range unlike the hat. High baton can essentially be replaced by Johnny’s overhead buttons for the same mix. Also there’s zero holding any of Stryker’s tools. He basically adds damage and a reset at the cost of 50 life. I’d rather go Kano at that point with ball and laser on top of knife combos.

Wigy

There it is...
Was down 0-2 with Kano and swapped to Lao to bring it back 3-2 in multiple sets last night. Everyone got blown up by 4, low hat in the corner at least once. Nobody wakes up down blocking until they get hit by that lol. Thanks for the help dude!

Is the general idea to just chip away with 213~low hat / 2134 and condition to block low and then very occasionally throw in the 212?

also getting a lot of milage out of F32~lowhat/1 and then people have to respect the F3 stagger, and F3,4 hit confirm for full combo
Yeah mate- they're a class duo.

I'm glad it was helpful.

Yeah I always open up sets by ramming low hats down their throats which I find let's me get off more staggers. If youre playing a good player who knows to challenge it. I start throwing in f321 parry to catch the counterpoke/armour

The more staggers the better to stall out the timer for more hats.

He's ridiculous in the corner so get them there and keep them there.

Once they start respecting f3hat hit them with f34 for a full combo also.

Last edited:

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Switched from cyrax to lao and the difference is night and day.

Just going over the more general pro's:

-It gives johnny a solid zoning tool.
-It allows johnny to approach with his stubby normals.
-Low hat is inexplicably +2 on block.
-Johnny has 3 strings that synergise very well with low hat. 212, 214(4) and F124. All of these will make it that the person has to fuzzyguard for their life while reacting to staggers.
-Meterless trait activation midscreen

OKI:

in the corner you want to end every combo in s4 lowhat- this give you +25 when they stand up without sacrificing much damage. You get jailing pressure after or can sneak in a f4 to keep them on their toes.

For slower armour this will armour break, effectively this gives johnny a meterless +25 restand in the corner against most of the cast.

Even for faster wakeups its possible to armour break. (though you need to give up a bit more damage)

Midscreen you can do your normal BNB but end it in s4 hat.
This pressure is obviously a lot less guaranteed but depending on your timing you can create horrible mix with f124 and 212 2144 from the hat.
I like to delay the hat to hit low just before the overhead of f124 and 212- or 2144 you can have it hit low (low) overhead in very quick succession.
If you release hat early it will give you more guaranteed pressure outside of them armouring but less mix potential.

this can give you setups like these:

The other dirty thing is with trait you can do low hat on block off specials. I have been able to sneak trait into shadow kick on block because people are conditioned by all the hat mix.
Only 6f pokes can trade with this and its got a mix of if you will do it on the second or third hit.

This also means when you finish combos into NP with trait active you can do blockstrings into specials and end with hat into +2

(you can just do 214 lao spin s4 trait NP for that as a starter on trait combos)

Biggest counter to this is subzero cameo with ice armour. Really shuts it down entirely.
I hate fighting Johnny, but I threw you a like solely based on how much work you've done! Keep it up, man \m/

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Although I agree Kung it's a great kameo because of pressure and mix (it would be good even if it didn't have teleport or spin) I find myself enjoying Sub too. The antizoning is very good, and also the fact that you can activate hype mid combo even if you are two steps away from activation.

Ok, so compared to Stryker and Cyrax, the Lao seems a lot more offensive, able to get the low hats off in neutral and on block is pretty neat.
Holding the low hat at the end of a combo or mid screen is dynamite from what I have seen, works really well. I think the constant pressure and guessing game works well overall. I do not use Lao in combos yet, as I'm mostly trying to open up the opponent.

Haven't seen much use from spin- outside of hitconfirm.
nothing really from teleport either, but that may just be opponent respecting pressure.

I will definitely be using Lao from now and seeing what else works.
IMO Kung Lao is a very viable option, especially to bring a projectile to your game plan

Wigy

There it is...
Although I agree Kung it's a great kameo because of pressure and mix (it would be good even if it didn't have teleport or spin) I find myself enjoying Sub too. The antizoning is very good, and also the fact that you can activate hype mid combo even if you are two steps away from activation.
Absolutely. Subzero is definitely going to be the best in some matchups. Lao cameo becomes way worse if they have subzero cameo.

I think lao was slept on big time which is why I made a big song and dance about it with my hot take.

Roosta

Noob
You can up block his overhead for full combo punish and it has a gap lmao
Yeah, I am very rarely throwing out his 212 at this point. I mean his rush down is super good and he can convert off a lot of stuff, but he is not nearly as broken S tier as everyone is making him out to be. I'd bet money there will be 0 cages in top 4 at the next big tournament. Too many characters can play keep away and control neutral like Ashrah/Kenshi/etc

even Raiden/Cyrax seem way more fucked up to me atm. Literally losing half a bar a round just to chip with raiden's string into lightning shit into cyrax cameo loops, and if you get hit your dead. I probably just need to lab a way out of it though, maybe d1,EXNP

Roosta

Noob
Yeah mate- they're a class duo.

I'm glad it was helpful.

Yeah I always open up sets by ramming low hats down their throats which I find let's me get off more staggers. If youre playing a good player who knows to challenge it. I start throwing in f321 parry to catch the counterpoke/armour

The more staggers the better to stall out the timer for more hats.

He's ridiculous in the corner so get them there and keep them there.

Once they start respecting f3hat hit them with f34 for a full combo also.
recently been throwing in parry sparingly and it's really good if someone is throwing out long strings in neautral w no low starter. It's also great for gaps or if oppenent is mixing grabs/staggers (reiko/geras). I need to use that and shadow dash more. You can get out of corner for free with kameo+shadow dash and there are some silly kameo setups with shadow dash as well that catch people off gaurd.

Lao also great for hype meter combos, and u get full hype meter for free vs anyone throwing full screen projectiles with db1+L2

Wigy

There it is...
recently been throwing in parry sparingly and it's really good if someone is throwing out long strings in neautral w no low starter. It's also great for gaps or if oppenent is mixing grabs/staggers (reiko/geras). I need to use that and shadow dash more. You can get out of corner for free with kameo+shadow dash and there are some silly kameo setups with shadow dash as well that catch people off gaurd.

Lao also great for hype meter combos, and u get full hype meter for free vs anyone throwing full screen projectiles with db1+L2
FYI his ex parry is 1 frame. You can parry any string with a gap that's not low also. Pretty useful in some matchups. Frame data on startup is lying.

And yeah his shadow dash can get you out the corner before the opponent can react. Off some strings/pokes it's not punishable on reaction at all.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Cages forward throw in the corner also gives you excellent spacing for moving back and putting a hat down quite safely. It definitely is punishable but they have to wake up and chase you immediately.

Can you explain a little more? Both low and high baton can only be used within close range unlike the hat. High baton can essentially be replaced by Johnny’s overhead buttons for the same mix. Also there’s zero holding any of Stryker’s tools. He basically adds damage and a reset at the cost of 50 life. I’d rather go Kano at that point with ball and laser on top of knife combos.
I admit that Stryker probably isn't on the same level as lao. Like the low hat does have better range than the batons, but I like that the overhead baton is plus 6 on block and jails so nicely into Johnny's 9 frame mid. So I like it more as a pressure tool than a mixup tool. The grenades are pretty good projectiles too, allow you to combo off nutpunch during ex or hype for more damage than kano, and are very good in neutral. And restand is just so good for pressure too. So while it may have been wrong to say he does the same things as Lao for Johnny, I stand by that he's a strong pick.

Space Cadet

They shot our face, Johnny. They shot. Our FACE.
I've mostly been using Kano, but oooh, I definitely have to try him out again. I'm seeing the vision.

Agilaz

It has begun
this is probably the most tiring team to fight against, it's never your turn. nrs needs to look at low hat cooldown cause constant free +2 on block is in no way healthy for the game

Roosta

Noob
Gunna keep Lao in my back pocket but I had to switch to Cyrax. The chip and ability to not give up your turn on a blocked string seems so strong right now.
They have to eat all of it and most ppl will fuck up or get frustrated holding block for so long. I think the only way out is armor which you can bait.

Cyrax also allows you to convert tons of stuff into extra damage with nutpunch~R1, and allows for a ~46% 1 bar in corner, 25-30% off a forward grab for 2 bars, and ~17% off a back grab with kameo.

I hope they nerf cyrax cuz it's not fun to play or play against lol. Feels very braindead but it's effective. Raiden/Cyrax is also fucking dumb...you either eat a 50% 1 bar or a ton of chip and have to burn meter to risk getting out. Both are tedious and just not very fun to play tbh but they win games.

I was having way more fun with Kano/Lao but Cyrax is too good to not use. Not to mention you can do a fucked up loop if you land a closeish net.

Only characters I'm having problems with atm are those that zone/play keep away, might have to learn sub for that.

Wigy

There it is...
Despite all of the above ..

Cyrax is Johnny's best cameo. Though you can scam ranked by doing 214 hat mix into oblivion. Cyrax works better at the higher level.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Doesn't matter which kameo you choose, even if it was one that just showed up and waved as only ability. People are still going to complain about you picking Cage.

Imo, without combining him with Cyrax, Cage is not the monster people say.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Doesn't matter which kameo you choose, even if it was one that just showed up and waved as only ability. People are still going to complain for you picking Cage.

Imo, without combining him with Cyrax, Cage is not the monster people say.
Yep I think without the ridiculous synergy with lao/cyrax Johnny has some glaring issues in some matchups. Characters with good reach/long range pokes and a nice backdash are a nightmare. Feels like folks can weasel out of a lot and it's hard to initiate. I could just need to level up though.

Hope cyrax lao gets nerfed and not Cage.

Roosta

Noob
Yep I think without the ridiculous synergy with lao/cyrax Johnny has some glaring issues in some matchups. Characters with good reach/long range pokes and a nice backdash are a nightmare. Feels like folks can weasel out of a lot and it's hard to initiate. I could just need to level up though.

nah I'm having the same trouble. I think having both Lao/Cyrax in your pocket is going to be ideal and using whatever is best for the MU. Only way I have been able to deal with those type of characters is try to bait into an advancing string and B3 but most good players wise up to that fast and it's just a game of keep away after a life lead. Range on his B3 is insane if they throw out any string lol

NRS are the kings of kneejerk reactions, he’s getting blasted, just look at mkx and mk11, MK9 is the only game where he got a nerf and was still higher than mid tier. The funny thing is in true NRS fashion, characters that have gone under the radar are going to be discovered as super busted and characters will get unneeded buffs and become ridiculous it literally happens every NRS game.

Roosta

Noob
NRS are the kings of kneejerk reactions, he’s getting blasted, just look at mkx and mk11, MK9 is the only game where he got a nerf and was still higher than mid tier. The funny thing is in true NRS fashion, characters that have gone under the radar are going to be discovered as super busted and characters will get unneeded buffs and become ridiculous it literally happens every NRS game.
yeah 100%.

I feel like people sleeping on Shang a bit, or maybe I just need to learn match up.

Then DLC will release and be broken/top tier and then much later get nerfed....or not. I miss Martian Man Hunter lol.

I'm thinking JC and Cyrax will both get got w next balanace patch though.

yeah 100%.

I feel like people sleeping on Shang a bit, or maybe I just need to learn match up.

Then DLC will release and be broken/top tier and then much later get nerfed....or not. I miss Martian Man Hunter lol.

I'm thinking JC and Cyrax will both get got w next balanace patch though.
Yep the dlc will be op and get nerfed until the very last one at the end of the games life cycle and we end up with another fujin/kabal situation lol instead of massive nerfs and buffs they need to do things by case by case basis, right now it’s cyrax that is making these characters op so start by nerfing him first and see what others can do.

It’s definitely going to be an outtake situation where they not only nerfed his fireballs but all of his plus strings even straight forceballs that he had to spend meter on, they nerfed his problematic variation and sunk his other two.

They are going to nerf cyrax(which is the problem in my opinion) AND him while everyone one is just going to move on to the next top tiers and the crying will start up all over again.

Last edited: