What's new

Lao is Johnnys best cameo

Wigy

There it is...
Switched from cyrax to lao and the difference is night and day.

Just going over the more general pro's:

-It gives johnny a solid zoning tool.
-It allows johnny to approach with his stubby normals.
-Low hat is inexplicably +2 on block.
-Johnny has 3 strings that synergise very well with low hat. 212, 214(4) and F124. All of these will make it that the person has to fuzzyguard for their life while reacting to staggers.
-Meterless trait activation midscreen

OKI:

in the corner you want to end every combo in s4 lowhat- this give you +25 when they stand up without sacrificing much damage. You get jailing pressure after or can sneak in a f4 to keep them on their toes.

For slower armour this will armour break, effectively this gives johnny a meterless +25 restand in the corner against most of the cast.

Even for faster wakeups its possible to armour break. (though you need to give up a bit more damage)

Midscreen you can do your normal BNB but end it in s4 hat.
This pressure is obviously a lot less guaranteed but depending on your timing you can create horrible mix with f124 and 212 2144 from the hat.
I like to delay the hat to hit low just before the overhead of f124 and 212- or 2144 you can have it hit low (low) overhead in very quick succession.
If you release hat early it will give you more guaranteed pressure outside of them armouring but less mix potential.

this can give you setups like these:

The other dirty thing is with trait you can do low hat on block off specials. I have been able to sneak trait into shadow kick on block because people are conditioned by all the hat mix.
Only 6f pokes can trade with this and its got a mix of if you will do it on the second or third hit.

This also means when you finish combos into NP with trait active you can do blockstrings into specials and end with hat into +2

(you can just do 214 lao spin s4 trait NP for that as a starter on trait combos)

Edit:

There is a way to use lao teleport assist off F124 to get a JIP combo extender:

Biggest counter to this is subzero cameo with ice armour. Really shuts it down entirely.

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Was trying this kameo too recently and getting similar conclusions. However, still didn't find good synergy with the teleport.

Rizz091

Noob
Was trying this kameo too recently and getting similar conclusions. However, still didn't find good synergy with the teleport.
The only thing I've found that's gimmicky, but can work is ending a combo with hype shadow kick and teleporting if your opponent tries to attack you.

He can do the same with unsafe stuff on block as well that can catch the opponent missing if they don't break the armor.

ismael4790

The only thing I've found that's gimmicky, but can work is ending a combo with hype shadow kick and teleporting if your opponent tries to attack you.

He can do the same with unsafe stuff on block as well that can catch the opponent missing if they don't break the armor.
Yep, didn't find anything else. I expected for example to combo after exnutpunch or something, but it doesn't even guarantee pressure.

Wigy

There it is...
Teleport is pretty shit. I have used it to punish long wind up projectiles i think thats your best bet.

Or if you fuck up and do a BF4 or DB3 on block they have a lot of blockstun so you can armour out and fuck up their punish.

Roosta

Noob
212, 4, spin, 212, 4, low hat - into oki setup ..... seems like the bnb off a 212?

edit: nvm...I didn't realize holding hat burns kameo meter.

so I guess 212, F3, 212, 4, lowhat hold into oki...

going to try to find BNB's off 214~EXDB3 at midscreen and 212/214~EXDB3 in corner that lead into low hat. Having trouble finding where spin is going to useful being that it removes option to end in oki/hat hold.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
narr... it is Sub / Cyrax....... I use Cyrax, Sub for anti-zoning

Why? well you can use Net or Iced to get out free Star Power taunts. Allowing you to basically be in Star Power mode most of the round, every round.

ismael4790

Why? well you can use Net or Iced to get out free Star Power taunts. Allowing you to basically be in Star Power mode most of the round, every round.
I don't think there is a "best" kameo either. For example, Sub is extremely useful too like you said to stop worrying about projectiles, and Lao doesn't give that. I use both.

Ardet

Noob
Teleport is pretty shit. I have used it to punish long wind up projectiles i think thats your best bet.

Or if you fuck up and do a BF4 or DB3 on block they have a lot of blockstun so you can armour out and fuck up their punish.
Cant you do tele after NP in hype mode to extend combo like they showcased in KK?

Roosta

Noob

can you confirm into net? I feel like hitting a naked net on any highish level player is gonna be pretty tough

Roosta

Noob
Switched from cyrax to lao and the difference is night and day.

Just going over the more general pro's:

-It gives johnny a solid zoning tool.
-It allows johnny to approach with his stubby normals.
-Low hat is inexplicably +2 on block.
-Johnny has 3 strings that synergise very well with low hat. 212, 214(4) and F124. All of these will make it that the person has to fuzzyguard for their life while reacting to staggers.
-Meterless trait activation midscreen

OKI:

in the corner you want to end every combo in s4 lowhat- this give you +25 when they stand up without sacrificing much damage. You get jailing pressure after or can sneak in a f4 to keep them on their toes.

For slower armour this will armour break, effectively this gives johnny a meterless +25 restand in the corner against most of the cast.

Even for faster wakeups its possible to armour break. (though you need to give up a bit more damage)

Midscreen you can do your normal BNB but end it in s4 hat.
This pressure is obviously a lot less guaranteed but depending on your timing you can create horrible mix with f124 and 212 2144 from the hat.
I like to delay the hat to hit low just before the overhead of f124 and 212- or 2144 you can have it hit low (low) overhead in very quick succession.
If you release hat early it will give you more guaranteed pressure outside of them armouring but less mix potential.

this can give you setups like these:

The other dirty thing is with trait you can do low hat on block off specials. I have been able to sneak trait into shadow kick on block because people are conditioned by all the hat mix.
Only 6f pokes can trade with this and its got a mix of if you will do it on the second or third hit.

This also means when you finish combos into NP with trait active you can do blockstrings into specials and end with hat into +2

(you can just do 214 lao spin s4 trait NP for that as a starter on trait combos)

Biggest counter to this is subzero cameo with ice armour. Really shuts it down entirely.
Was down 0-2 with Kano and swapped to Lao to bring it back 3-2 in multiple sets last night. Everyone got blown up by 4, low hat in the corner at least once. Nobody wakes up down blocking until they get hit by that lol. Thanks for the help dude!

Is the general idea to just chip away with 213~low hat / 2134 and condition to block low and then very occasionally throw in the 212?

also getting a lot of milage out of F32~lowhat/1 and then people have to respect the F3 stagger, and F3,4 hit confirm for full combo

Last edited:

Roosta

Noob
highest damage I have been able to find in corner w Lao - 36%. Not bad for meter-less, can also end in EXBD1 if you want to continue to mix. Ending combos in 4~low hat is definitely the way to go, but this could be useful to close out a round or whenever u need a bit more guaranteed dmg.

It's possible to jump, F244, d1~nutpunch/shadow kick off this too, but the timing is really tight so it's probably not worth.

Mid screen meterless w trait : ends in oki setup. it's prob not optimal but easy enough to be a bnb :

49% meterless in corner with trait:

Last edited:
214 low hat is so amazing. It is literally opening people up for free 212 combos once they get conditioned. I wouldn’t touch spin or teleport ever if only because they kill the kameo recharge.