What's new

LAN vs Wifi: The Differences

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
I know what you're thinking, the differences are obvious. Then again, not everyone is so inclined to understanding them. So just for a point of reference and to better help people understand their setups, internet, speeds, ping, jitter, and all else, this post will be here to educate. I don't have a perfect knowledge of the ins and outs of this, so feel free to correct any mistakes on my part.

There are many ways people receive an internet connection.

1. Fiber Optics/FiOS
  2. Cable
  3. Satellite
#1 is the best, because signals come through the cleanest, the quickest, and the fastest. Fiber Optics is regarded as having, on average, the fastest speeds, as well as the highest download to upload ratio.

#2 is second best. Cable internet is fast, and the most common form of internet available, usually even in rural communities. It's signal output has a lower threshold, but still can offer speeds in the triple digits with ease. The quality of the line can degrade quicker, however, and lead to slower and more unstable connections. Monitoring this is recommended, and I'll offer a couple ways to do this later on in the post.

#3 is the worst, period. FiOS and Cable are receiving signals from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), then sending them through multiple servers from your house all the way to the source of your connection, be it a game, Netflix, Twitch, etc., then back to your house, and the first two options still manage to send and receive a connection reliably fast. Satellite on the other hand, has to send it's signal from... wait for it... a satellite, to your house, out to whatever it is you're connecting to, then back to your house. It is without a doubt unreliable, unstable, and unusable with any sort of real-time gaming. If you're main mode of using the internet is googling recipes or something, you should be fine.

Now that we've explained the options and those differences, let's talk about the issues anyone can have with them. This will mainly be in reference to #2 (Cable Internet), as it is the most common.

Speedtest.net is the go-to for determining if you're getting the speeds you're paying for. Don't worry if you're getting around 10% less than what you pay for, as the actual numbers are in a constant state of flux due to bandwidth usage (using the internet), and traffic on your ISP's servers, based off of a direct connection. Anything that you pull from the internet, be it a webpage, a video, a Twitch stream counts towards the bandwidth of your download speed. Anything you contribute to the internet, like personally streaming, uploading videos, skyping, pulls from the bandwidth of your upload speed. So everything you do can and will affect your speeds.
Common issues include your ISP "throttling" your connection. This means that when, in your area, internet usage is high among the community (usually in peak times of the day, such as after kids get home from school, people get off of work), your ISP sometimes will limit your speeds as to prevent too much bandwidth being used at once. Checking your speeds and making sure you're not shooting far under what you pay for, can allow you to know when is the best time to play games online.

Speeds are important, but often times aren't the issue with internet connections being slow. Have you ever noticed sometimes a web page takes forever to load? Or a video or stream constantly stutters, buffers, pauses? This sometimes can mean your connection is unstable, and can be caused by a few issues. I'll go through them:

Packet Loss - When you pay for 100mbps, the "mbps" stands for "megabits per second". This correlates into about 0.12 megabytes of information being discerned, sent/received every second. These megabits are sent and received as "packets". Packet Loss refers to when these packets are, well, lost. Somewhere along the way, they get sent and not received. Your connection will wait for replacement packets to be sent/received, thus delaying your signal. Usually this translates to 'rubber-banding' in games, or teleporting, or altogether desynchronising you from your session. Tests will translate this into percentages, most commonly using a scale of 250 packets. Even 1% loss will constitute lag in a game, hiccups in a voice call, or buffering in a video or livestream.
What causes Packet Loss - Any number of things. Determining what is very important. It could be a degrading cable line, a faulty or outdated Modem, or at worst, a faulty or degrading line/server on your ISP's end.
How to check for Packet Loss - I personally use two methods. First is PingPlotter, a free program you can download that will run a 10 minute, real-time graph that charts your ping as well as packets to any destination of your choosing. I ping 8.8.8.8, Google's public DNS-servers, a very common route for a connection, to see if any packets get lost. If you do manage to have some loss, it will show up as red lines on the graph.
My second way to check is through your own Command Prompt, which is a very easy method of also determining if the problem originates from your own modem, or beyond. First, open Command Prompt on Windows, and type "ping 192.168.0.1 -n 250". 192.168.0.1 is a fairly common local IP for modems, although some are 192.168.1.1. The "-n ###" denotes how many packets are going to be sent/received to the IP address you've chosen. 250 is the universal measurement, so go with that. If that test comes back clear, just change the IP address to something outside of your network, like my own preferred route, "8.8.8.8". If either of those tests come back with packet loss, call your ISP and let them know. If the packet loss occurred on your IP address test, your Modem may be faulty and need replacing.
Packet Loss testing via Command Prompt will list packets not received as "Request timed out."

High Jitter - Jitter is a numerical measurement to determine how long the delay or how much latency there is in sending/receiving information, in milliseconds. Packet Loss and High Jitter tend to go hand in hand, but aren't mutually exclusive. Anything above the single-digits is considered high, and will affect connections with high spikes in your Ping.
What causes High Jitter - High Jitter is common over wireless signals, i.e. Wifi. Because you're sending a signal at what is usually an open frequency, the chances of High Jitter grow exponentially, and are only compounded the further you are from your Router. Interference from other electronics emitting signals play a hand in High Jitter, as well as the delay worsening depending on the amount of bandwidth your Router is under.
How to check for High Jitter - Since Pingtest.net has been discontinued, the only method I know of to check Jitter is by using the desktop app made by Pingtest's sister site, Speedtest, available here: http://www.speedtest.net/apps/windows

High Ping - Ping is another numerical benchmark for the speed of your connection. Ping is how fast your connection is sent and received to its destination, round trip, in milliseconds. The lower, the better. Acceptable ranges anywhere from single-digits (though these are very rare, and are wholly dependent on where the information is being sent to), to around 150ms. For gaming, under 100ms is the preferred range.
What causes High Ping - The issues behind High Ping can go hand-in-hand with the same issues above, such as High Jitter or Packet Loss, but as I've said, these aren't mutually exclusive, but usually correlate in some way. Any combination of these issues already listed can cause High Ping.
How to check for High Ping - There are several ways to check your Ping, but the most useful way is PingPlotter, as it tracks your ping over a real-time, 10 minute graph, looking not unlike a richter scale, showing spikes when it gets high. High Ping often causes lag spikes, latency, and disconnections, in whatever it is you're doing. Through Command Prompt, it will show up at the end of the test as an average at the end, reading "average = ##ms".

Degrading Line Quality - This is self-explanatory. The cable line that leads from your Modem, in your wall, out to a box outside your house, sometimes to a line coupler (meaning you're line might be shared among a neighbor), to a box that eventually leads to your ISP's servers. Anywhere along this route can there be an issue with your line, thus causing any of the issues listed above.
What causes Degrading Line Quality - Over time, things degrade. Other than that, it could be anything, really. High moisture in one of the boxes, a cut or splice in the cable underground, a fraying bit, or it could just be old and need replacing.
How to check for a Degrading Line - Call your ISP, let them know the issues, whatever they may be, and ask for a technician to come out and check the line. Hell, if they're being stingy about it, tell them you have moles in your yard and you think they've chewed on the cable underground.

Often times, a good ol' power cycle of your Modem/Router does the trick for most of these issues, but if they persist, call your ISP. In the meantime, you could try replacing the coaxial cable that connects from your Modem to your wall.

This is what the Command Prompt test looks like:

This is what the PingPlotter test looks like:

(I suffered with high Packet Loss for quite a while, but after my ISP sent a technician, and he personally replaced the coaxial cable bit on the inside of my wall that had visible frays, my internet is golden now.)

Oh yeah, the differences between LAN and Wifi, right?

A wired connection is more stable and far less susceptible to any of the issues I've just wrote multiple paragraphs about. Wifi is very susceptible to all of these problems. Most of these problems won't even show up on a Speedtest. Not to mention, if you ran a Speedtest or Packet Loss test on wifi via a Laptop or Phone, you'll see the downgraded quality of the internet you pay good money for versus these same tests on a direct connection via a Desktop. So if you suspect you're having issues, run tests on Command Prompt and PingPlotter, on a Desktop.

TL;DR If you think that a 100mbps Wireless connection is better than a 20mbps Wired connection, you're dead wrong. Curious as to why? See above.

Last edited:
Nice information and it shows why I should invest in wired again. But on a more sinister and negative manner, this is going to be a big duel breaker for this community.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Some people remain adamant that wifi is good despite all the evidence showing otherwise. Choose to stay ignorant if you wish, but know that your laziness is a big concern to people in the FGC. It's not a huge concern in other online games, but in fighting games where every millisecond counts, you can forgive people for not wanting to fight you if you're using a substandard connection. It's not fair to the opponent and the wifi player gets a false sense of their own gaming ability, which is shattered when they decide to play off line.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I suggest anyone stuck on wifi invest in a homeplug/powerline adapter. It converts the wiring in your house into a wired lan connection. It's a great way to avoid wireless.

I ended up just snaking ethernet cable through the wall for myself.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Very well. I feel this post is directed at me and I have been corrected. Will buy the damn cat6 cable so I can still play against you peeps. Lmao

Tons of info here but it still doesn't explain why I'm considered to be a scumbag for playing on Wi-Fi that ranges between 67-94 ping.

I suggest anyone stuck on wifi invest in a homeplug/powerline adapter. It converts the wiring in your house into a wired lan connection. It's a great way to avoid wireless.

I ended up just snaking ethernet cable through the wall for myself.
What sorcery is this!?

Still waiting to see a detailed write-up on the specifics on how a slower connection gets an advantage in injustice 2.

My experience in FPS games show that the faster the connection the more of an advantage a player would have.

All I have seen for this game is that both players are affected by a slower connection between them. In other words input lag is equally worse for both players.

And for the record I play wired most of the time in this game and occasionally wireless when I relocate to another room in my house. I lost more playing wireless then I have wired.

E

Eldriken

Anyone who suggests Powerline Adapters needs to also inform people that it MAY OR MAY NOT WORK. It is dependent on the wiring of your house.

You could switch to a Powerline Adapter and get sub-56k (dial-up) speeds because the wiring of your house isn't suitable for it. Look into it before making any purchase.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Tons of info here but it still doesn't explain why I'm considered to be a scumbag for playing on Wi-Fi that ranges between 67-94 ping.
You're not a scumbag for playing on wifi. But I'm also not a scumbag for seeing that you have wifi and choosing to decline playing with you. 67 ping is fine. 94 ping is probably fine, too. Fluctuating between the two during a match is not fine.

And from my experience, it's more like 67 ping for a few mins... then a 10-second stretch where it's spiking into the hundreds (250, 500, 900, etc.) and then coming back down to 67 for a few minutes. That shit is annoying and you shouldn't blame players for actively avoiding it if they have the option.

Just one thing 100 Mbps = 12.5 MBps. 8 bits in a byte so divide by 100 by 8. Pretty good write up.

I'm having trouble noticing a difference when I play opponents who use wireless vs wired connection but that's just me. I'm sure it made a huge difference before NRS improved their netcode and maybe that is where a lot of the saltiness is coming from.

I'm sure some wireless connections are bad (people having their routers on one side of their house and their console on the other side separate by walls of wood and concrete). In general, if you play someone on a wired connection and then turn right around and play them on wireless connection, the outcome will be the same.

Also, for those wired players dissing on wireless players not using the best connection possible, do you plug your PS4 / Xbone directly into your modem to bypass all possible bottlenecks (I'm thinking probably not).

inb4 "I bet you're on wireless!" No, I'm hard-wired and take my losses from wireless players just fine.

JLU51306

You're not a scumbag for playing on Wifi, but I don't see any way you can argue that it's just as reliable as a wired connection. The actual benefit to a wired connection is stabilitiy/reliability. A wired connection shouldn't have fluctuations in ping, at least not ones that high. Yes, 64-94 ping is good, but think about it changing from 64 to 94 mid-match. There's always a delay to playing online, and the game works to minimize it, but varying 30 ping in realtime changes the delay depending on your console's reception of your dynamic wifi signal, instead of a static, constant connection that a LAN setup would offer. Sometimes the differences aren't as drastic, other times they are, but in the end, there's still differences.

Now tell me why I should care about the packet loss to your epeen?

JLU51306

Just one thing 100 Mbps = 12.5 MBps. 8 bits in a byte so divide by 100 by 8. Pretty good write up.
Ah, gotcha. Good correction.

Also, for those wired players dissing on wireless players not using the best connection possible, do you plug your PS4 / Xbone directly into your modem to bypass all possible bottlenecks (I'm thinking probably not).
I would find it hard to believe people on a wired connection aren't wired directly from their console to their modem. If someones going to go to the trouble to mask a wireless connection via an ethernet to a laptop or something, they might as well just go for the real thing.

JLU51306

Still waiting to see a detailed write-up on the specifics on how a slower connection gets an advantage in injustice 2.

My experience in FPS games show that the faster the connection the more of an advantage a player would have.

All I have seen for this game is that both players are affected by a slower connection between them. In other words input lag is equally worse for both players.

And for the record I play wired most of the time in this game and occasionally wireless when I relocate to another room in my house. I lost more playing wireless then I have wired.
Sure, you can say a poor and or fluctuating connection affects both players, so it becomes an even playing field, right? Nope. Because a wireless connection, practically by it's own definition, is a dynamic signal.
Say I just got in with a string, and I'm starting a 40% combo on my opponent, and their wifi has a ping spike, causing a greater delay than what the game can correct, and I drop the combo. Then my opponent punishes me and gets his own combo off. While a wireless connection affects both parties, it isn't a constant variable in a match.

methademic

UPR Methademic
Good information but I feel like I have to point out just running ping x.x.x.x (your example 8.8.8.8 being Google DNS) isn't always a clear indication of a problem on you or your ISPs end. Lots of other carriers and equipment between A and Z.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I know what you're thinking, the differences are obvious. Then again, not everyone is so inclined to understanding them. So just for a point of reference and to better help people understand their setups, internet, speeds, ping, jitter, and all else, this post will be here to educate. I don't have a perfect knowledge of the ins and outs of this, so feel free to correct any mistakes on my part.

1. Fiber Optics/FiOS
  2. Cable
  3. Satellite
#1 is the best, because signals come through the cleanest, the quickest, and the fastest. Fiber Optics is regarded as having, on average, the fastest speeds, as well as the highest download to upload ratio.

#2 is second best. Cable internet is fast, and the most common form of internet available, usually even in rural communities. It's signal output has a lower threshold, but still can offer speeds in the triple digits with ease. The quality of the line can degrade quicker, however, and lead to slower and more unstable connections. Monitoring this is recommended, and I'll offer a couple ways to do this later on in the post.

#3 is the worst, period. FiOS and Cable are receiving signals from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), then sending them through multiple servers from your house all the way to the source of your connection, be it a game, Netflix, Twitch, etc., then back to your house, and the first two options still manage to send and receive a connection reliably fast. Satellite on the other hand, has to send it's signal from... wait for it... a satellite, to your house, out to whatever it is you're connecting to, then back to your house. It is without a doubt unreliable, unstable, and unusable with any sort of real-time gaming. If you're main mode of using the internet is googling recipes or something, you should be fine.

Now that we've explained the options and those differences, let's talk about the issues anyone can have with them. This will mainly be in reference to #2 (Cable Internet), as it is the most common.

Speedtest.net is the go-to for determining if you're getting the speeds you're paying for. Don't worry if you're getting around 10% less than what you pay for, as the actual numbers are in a constant state of flux due to bandwidth usage (using the internet), and traffic on your ISP's servers, based off of a direct connection. Anything that you pull from the internet, be it a webpage, a video, a Twitch stream counts towards the bandwidth of your download speed. Anything you contribute to the internet, like personally streaming, uploading videos, skyping, pulls from the bandwidth of your upload speed. So everything you do can and will affect your speeds.
Common issues include your ISP "throttling" your connection. This means that when, in your area, internet usage is high among the community (usually in peak times of the day, such as after kids get home from school, people get off of work), your ISP sometimes will limit your speeds as to prevent too much bandwidth being used at once. Checking your speeds and making sure you're not shooting far under what you pay for, can allow you to know when is the best time to play games online.

Speeds are important, but often times aren't the issue with internet connections being slow. Have you ever noticed sometimes a web page takes forever to load? Or a video or stream constantly stutters, buffers, pauses? This sometimes can mean your connection is unstable, and can be caused by a few issues. I'll go through them:

Packet Loss - When you pay for 100mbps, the "mbps" stands for "megabits per second". This correlates into about 0.12 megabytes of information being discerned, sent/received every second. These megabits are sent and received as "packets". Packet Loss refers to when these packets are, well, lost. Somewhere along the way, they get sent and not received. Your connection will wait for replacement packets to be sent/received, thus delaying your signal. Usually this translates to 'rubber-banding' in games, or teleporting, or altogether desynchronising you from your session. Tests will translate this into percentages, most commonly using a scale of 250 packets. Even 1% loss will constitute lag in a game, hiccups in a voice call, or buffering in a video or livestream.
What causes Packet Loss - Any number of things. Determining what is very important. It could be a degrading cable line, a faulty or outdated Modem, or at worst, a faulty or degrading line/server on your ISP's end.
How to check for Packet Loss - I personally use two methods. First is PingPlotter, a free program you can download that will run a 10 minute, real-time graph that charts your ping as well as packets to any destination of your choosing. I ping 8.8.8.8, Google's public DNS-servers, a very common route for a connection, to see if any packets get lost. If you do manage to have some loss, it will show up as red lines on the graph.
My second way to check is through your own Command Prompt, which is a very easy method of also determining if the problem originates from your own modem, or beyond. First, open Command Prompt on Windows, and type "ping 192.168.0.1 -n 250". 192.168.0.1 is a fairly common local IP for modems, although some are 192.168.1.1. The "-n ###" denotes how many packets are going to be sent/received to the IP address you've chosen. 250 is the universal measurement, so go with that. If that test comes back clear, just change the IP address to something outside of your network, like my own preferred route, "8.8.8.8". If either of those tests come back with packet loss, call your ISP and let them know. If the packet loss occurred on your IP address test, your Modem may be faulty and need replacing.
Packet Loss testing via Command Prompt will list packets not received as "Request timed out."

High Jitter - Jitter is a numerical measurement to determine how long the delay or how much latency there is in sending/receiving information, in milliseconds. Packet Loss and High Jitter tend to go hand in hand, but aren't mutually exclusive. Anything above the single-digits is considered high, and will affect connections with high spikes in your Ping.
What causes High Jitter - High Jitter is common over wireless signals, i.e. Wifi. Because you're sending a signal at what is usually an open frequency, the chances of High Jitter grow exponentially, and are only compounded the further you are from your Router. Interference from other electronics emitting signals play a hand in High Jitter, as well as the delay worsening depending on the amount of bandwidth your Router is under.
How to check for High Jitter - Since Pingtest.net has been discontinued, the only method I know of to check Jitter is by using the desktop app made by Pingtest's sister site, Speedtest, available here: http://www.speedtest.net/apps/windows

High Ping - Ping is another numerical benchmark for the speed of your connection. Ping is how fast your connection is sent and received to its destination, round trip, in milliseconds. The lower, the better. Acceptable ranges anywhere from single-digits (though these are very rare, and are wholly dependent on where the information is being sent to), to around 150ms. For gaming, under 100ms is the preferred range.
What causes High Ping - The issues behind High Ping can go hand-in-hand with the same issues above, such as High Jitter or Packet Loss, but as I've said, these aren't mutually exclusive, but usually correlate in some way. Any combination of these issues already listed can cause High Ping.
How to check for High Ping - There are several ways to check your Ping, but the most useful way is PingPlotter, as it tracks your ping over a real-time, 10 minute graph, looking not unlike a richter scale, showing spikes when it gets high. High Ping often causes lag spikes, latency, and disconnections, in whatever it is you're doing. Through Command Prompt, it will show up at the end of the test as an average at the end, reading "average = ##ms".

Degrading Line Quality - This is self-explanatory. The cable line that leads from your Modem, in your wall, out to a box outside your house, sometimes to a line coupler (meaning you're line might be shared among a neighbor), to a box that eventually leads to your ISP's servers. Anywhere along this route can there be an issue with your line, thus causing any of the issues listed above.
What causes Degrading Line Quality - Over time, things degrade. Other than that, it could be anything, really. High moisture in one of the boxes, a cut or splice in the cable underground, a fraying bit, or it could just be old and need replacing.
How to check for a Degrading Line - Call your ISP, let them know the issues, whatever they may be, and ask for a technician to come out and check the line. Hell, if they're being stingy about it, tell them you have moles in your yard and you think they've chewed on the cable underground.

Often times, a good ol' power cycle of your Modem/Router does the trick for most of these issues, but if they persist, call your ISP. In the meantime, you could try replacing the coaxial cable that connects from your Modem to your wall.

(I suffered with high Packet Loss for quite a while, but after my ISP sent a technician, and he personally replaced the coaxial cable bit on the inside of my wall that had visible frays, my internet is golden now.)

A wired connection is more stable and far less susceptible to any of the issues I've just wrote multiple paragraphs about. Wifi is very susceptible to all of these problems. Most of these problems won't even show up on a Speedtest. Not to mention, if you ran a Speedtest or Packet Loss test on wifi via a Laptop or Phone, you'll see the downgraded quality of the internet you pay good money for versus these same tests on a direct connection via a Desktop. So if you suspect you're having issues, run tests on Command Prompt and PingPlotter, on a Desktop.

TL;DR If you think that a 100mbps Wireless connection is better than a 20mbps Wired connection, you're dead wrong. Curious as to why? See above.
@KH_Captain time to get educated

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

1. Fiber Optics/FiOS
  2. Cable
  3. Satellite

I <3 u #NoHoMo