What's new

Lack of Slide: Good, Bad, or Untrue?

Hex

Noob
I've been watching recent tournament videos of Reptile players while trying to get a few new ideas for my own game.
I've noticed that though these players use plenty of dashing, it seems rare that they use Reptile's bf4(Slide).

I'm wondering as to why this is the case. It has occurred to me that if blocked, his slide leaves him wide open.
It also seems that players have stopped using his slide as a combo ender, in favor of a forceball reset. I can understand that, but it seems to rarely work, from what I've seen.

When I watch, I see countless opportunities for a Slide. This is usually when the opponent is blocking, and expects a Dash on your wake-up. Surprising him with a slide may disorient him and gives you a few extra damage on him.

Some of the videos I had been watching:

I Could be wrong, since these videos are all from the same source, and seem to be the same players and/or the same tournament. I picked these videos because there are a lot of Reptiles in them.

Is there some sort of huge disadvantage that comes with Slide of which I'm unaware, even if you hit it successfully?
Thanks Testyourmight!

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Is there some sort of huge disadvantage that comes with Slide of which I'm unaware, even if you hit it successfully?
i'd like to know this too seeing as i use the slide more often than i should, compared to the pro/tournament reptile community at least.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Slide has its uses when facing projectile heavy opponents to close distance but its a very unsafe move on block and whiff.

I tend to use it in the mix up game a lot. 321-slide then when they respect it 321acid hand. Another idea is now because they know you like to do the 4 hit string you can do 321-grab.

Another reason you don't see it very often is because they scaled its damage down. Before patch using a ex slide i believe netted you 3 or 4% more damage now it gives you 1% which isn't worth the meter.

Its still a descent wake up option after a recovery roll.

reptiles dash is too slow and punishable. As for combo enders a slow forceball ender grants you the 321acidhand (after you elbowdash to your opponent) which is another possible juggle if 321 hits or at the very least chip damage from 321 acidhand. the 321 is so good also since it is hit confirmable.

overall The slide at the end isnt worth the damage compared to the slow force ball pressure.

his slide is too slow and can be blockd n punished easily

sLeeK

Noob
When facing a sub zero and he has me trapped in a corner with a clone I use the ex slide on wake up and it goes right through their clone, only on wake does it do this. I haven't quite got around to testing it with other characters. So take this for what you will. When I have meter I use the ex slide on wake up and currently stopped using slide at the end of my bnbs for more useful specials such as SFB or invis.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Regular slide tends to not be very useful, but EX slide works pretty well for projectiles you can slide under, as well as on wakeup.

Forceball setups work to get in and condition your opponent as well.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I use slide a lot because most people expect the acid hand now. I also switch to 122 string sometimes because people seem to forget sometimes since 321 is used more often. The problem with slide is how punishable it

THTB

Slide in blockstrings isn't worth it because it takes that one player who is fuzzy guarding on every hit in the string to make you go "Okayyyyyyy...no more sliding".

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Oh yeah I forgot about the fuzzy blocking. I guess I just catch people because they get lazy and don't do it then.

I like to enhanced slide on wakeup but it's really annoying when it doesn't come out right. I recall you catching me alot with it though, and you also fuzzy guarded the shit out of all of my strings lol. I actually like to slide whenever I have a slow enhanced forceball out I sometimes can hit people like 2 times with slide until the ball reaches them. Or they sometimes on reaction try to punish slide but get smacked by the ball

Sliding, as with many things is conditional. End-round, it's a great extra damager tagged onto combos, though early its better to usually reset with forceball. Also, against a knife-spamming Kano, EX-slide is a must in order to punish that crap. It's also a great tool against a leaping opponent because it is slower than the dash, so you can then come off the slide into a dash to throw off their block timing.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I mainly use EX slide to punish projectiles from distance or to reverse position in the corner. If they are expecting the EX elbow dash from corner and are in stand block the EX slide usally works like a charm.

Kwon

---->----
Think i saw WonderChef use a Slide once, but yes, it is mainly "The Dash".

Reptile is coming for you!

since the slide is apparently bad, how you punish it?Every time i try to uppercut it, it whiffs.It isnt like subs in which you wait a sec,he leans forward and then uppercut.Reptile leans back afterwards so i always though it was safe.

since the slide is apparently bad, how you punish it?Every time i try to uppercut it, it whiffs.It isnt like subs in which you wait a sec,he leans forward and then uppercut.Reptile leans back afterwards so i always though it was safe.
You punish with full combos, not an uppercut lol.

Punishing with uppercuts is an old MK2 bad habbit. Lose that.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
It does seem like reptiles EX slide slide is faster than sub-zero's and cyber sub-zero's. However, it does not go as far.

THTB

Really? What's the frame data on slides?

I always felt Reptile's slide was way faster than Sub Zero's and CSZ..
His slide has a slower startup and doesn't move him forward throughout the entire move duration, but it covers ground at a faster speed.

Hex

Noob
Thanks for all the replies guys. I completely forgot about this thread for a while.
A few things:
I've been using Slide pretty successfully now by alternating between it and Acid Hand.
When they block high, ill go for a 321 slide, and when they're low, I do a 321 Acid Hand.

But, I'm guessing Fuzzy Blocking is that thing where you can block high and low or something? Can someone explain that and a way around it?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I completely forgot about this thread for a while.
A few things:
I've been using Slide pretty successfully now by alternating between it and Acid Hand.
When they block high, ill go for a 321 slide, and when they're low, I do a 321 Acid Hand.

But, I'm guessing Fuzzy Blocking is that thing where you can block high and low or something? Can someone explain that and a way around it?
Fuzzy Guarding is a mechanic built into the game that allows you to successfully defend high or low depending on whether you are standing or crouching. Whenever a block string starts your characters hitbox is either left standing or crouching depending on what position you were in when the opponent began attacking you.

ex: opponent does a jump in punch which forces you to stand (if you crouch block, the overhead starts a combo), then continues a block string. Your character is left standing until the block string ends, but you still have the ability to block low attacks and overheads by defending correctly.

This is a good mechanic and a frustrating one in some sense. It is beneficial because it allows you to use hit-strings that could normally be crouched if the string has 'high' attacks within it that will whiff on crouch. By forcing the opponents hitbox to stand, you can now safely use those strings as a block string or hit-confirm into a combo.

It is frustrating in the context of this thread because you really have no idea of telling whether or not your opponent is standing or crouching at the moment you want to option for the overhead (acid slap) or the low (slide). Typically the overhead is optioned because it is safe on block, whereas the slide is easily punishable.

There is no easy way around it, it is simply a gut feeling based on how you've conditioned your opponent to react to what you're doing.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Yes, I both a love and hate relationship with fuzzy gaurding. I think it's kind of cheap, I would not mind if they did something to get rid of it. It would make you understand your opponet's moves better, and actually make you have to be skilled at blocking all the high low mix-up's. However, there have been times it has really saved me.