What's new

Lack of Nightwolf players?

Is it just me or have there been like no Nightwolf players finishing in the top places at any tournaments?

From everything I've seen, Nightwolf seems to be really good... with his anti-zoning reflector... great, safe AA with the hatchet... damaging combos... etc. etc. Seems like he can carry people into the corner really effectively as well.

Is a good character just being looked over or are we seeing a heavy imbalance towards characters like Smoke, Ermac and Kung Lao?

Sorry if I've looked anyone over btw, haha.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I agree, I never see many on streams or online. He is really fun to play and you would be hard pressed to do something unsafe with him. He has all the tools you could need with solid bnb combos a good wake up game. I honestly have no idea why we don't see\hear to much about him. Maybe he doesnt really have anything gimmicky or abuse able thats about all i can think of.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I believe the only reason Nightwolf isn't played is because of how everyone in tournaments are currently playing with him, and how Kung/Raiden are overshadowing him. They aren't doing his f+3 okizeme, they always do lightning bolts when they should space it out and do a arrow. They never do any of his strings well planned, and thinking what they would do after, etc etc. I could go on forever honestly. He's an amazing character, but it seems like I'm the only one putting hard time into him to get out of the "mash shoulder and lightning" persona. Look at the forums, you'll see a lot of work I put into making this character put on the spotlight and be a feared contender.

Welcome to TYM btw. :) AWOOOO

I believe the only reason Nightwolf isn't played is because of how everyone in tournaments are currently playing with him, and how Kung/Raiden are overshadowing him. They aren't doing his f+3 okizeme, they always do lightning bolts when they should space it out and do a arrow. They never do any of his strings well planned, and thinking what they would do after, etc etc. I could go on forever honestly. He's an amazing character, but it seems like I'm the only one putting hard time into him to get out of the "mash shoulder and lightning" persona. Look at the forums, you'll see a lot of work I put into making this character put on the spotlight and be a feared contender.

Welcome to TYM btw. :) AWOOOO
Yeah dude, when I first joined I saw all of the great stuff you've been putting up on the Nightwolf forum. He definitely seems pretty deadly but I guess for tournaments right now people are going to go straight to the Raiden/Kung Lao shenanigans. Hopefully after some time passes we'll see more people playing Nightwolf in tournaments. 'Til then keep representing, my friend.

timmo

Noob
i was hope in to see a few nigtwolf players in vegas but didnt see many its a pitty cause he is one of the better character i9n the gamme imo and should be used more in tournaments

if anyone has some nice nightwolfs tips hit me up on psn my psn name is timmo2000 i would love to become a master of night wolf

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
i was hope in to see a few nigtwolf players in vegas but didnt see many its a pitty cause he is one of the better character i9n the gamme imo and should be used more in tournaments

if anyone has some nice nightwolfs tips hit me up on psn my psn name is timmo2000 i would love to become a master of night wolf
I'd rather you hit me up or any other good nightwolf player then you ask them to give you advice. That's just me.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
He's an amazing character, but it seems like I'm the only one putting hard time into him to get out of the "mash shoulder and lightning" persona.
Trust me, I'm doing the same thing. All my sessions have been 100% NW. I have a tourney saturday and I'll be surprised if I don't get top3 w/him, he's just too good and too safe.

Yes, arrows mixed w/lightning is top tier zoning, it's too good

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Trust me, I'm doing the same thing. All my sessions have been 100% NW. I have a tourney saturday and I'll be surprised if I don't get top3 w/him, he's just too good and too safe.

Yes, arrows mixed w/lightning is top tier zoning, it's too good
Let me know how you do, we need to keep repping that wolf!

Sequel

Boob Titbot
I picked up Cyrax... still haven't gotten him down to a science though. Once I do, I'm moving onto Nightwolf.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Nightwolf is a super solid character. As a Subzero player I have to be really careful about how I fight Nightwolf. I cant throw freezeballs at him like ever, because he can reflect them on reaction, even when Im fairly close. You cant jump at him because AA hatchet is godlike. You always gotta be on the lookout for the shoulder and if you duck to much to avoid the shoulder you could eat lightning. Oh and if you do get by all of that his chains and rushdown are great to. Definitely a great character. I think hes just been overshadowed because of all the attention Kung Lao has gotten. I expect we will see more of him as the games life progresses.

REO

Undead
I was a big Nightwolf player in the 2D MKs. I didn't like him at first because of how different and changed he felt but I'm slowly getting back into NW.

Noodlz

Noob
played against Dai a few days ago and realized what a beast nightwolf is, lol. Never did like the character design tho (the radio-active lookin knives don't particularly suit my style), but i'm hella digging they hard rushdown and frame advantages. Learned a lot from Dai and now i'm doing some practice and trying to learn how to play wolf =P I'll probably roll with the alternate costume, though i wish i could change the color of the knives/axe/arrows to white or blue or sumthing. Oh well, small price to pay =P

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Nightwolf is a super solid character. As a Subzero player I have to be really careful about how I fight Nightwolf. I cant throw freezeballs at him like ever, because he can reflect them on reaction, even when Im fairly close. You cant jump at him because AA hatchet is godlike. You always gotta be on the lookout for the shoulder and if you duck to much to avoid the shoulder you could eat lightning. Oh and if you do get by all of that his chains and rushdown are great to. Definitely a great character. I think hes just been overshadowed because of all the attention Kung Lao has gotten. I expect we will see more of him as the games life progresses.
I really feel like this is a bad matchup for SZ. Like you stated, he has to be SUPER careful about every decision he makes. Both IMO are defensive minded chars (even though you can play rushdown SZ or NW), pretty fun match for me:)

But not Raiden.....not raiden

Dark_Rob

Noob
I really feel like this is a bad matchup for SZ. Like you stated, he has to be SUPER careful about every decision he makes. Both IMO are defensive minded chars (even though you can play rushdown SZ or NW), pretty fun match for me:)
Its one of Subs harder matches for sure but I dont really feel Sub has any losing matches so I still feel its 5-5 or maybe 5.5-4.5 in favor of Nightwolf. Nightwolf may have the edge here because he can be effective from any range against Subzero, but Subzero must get in Nightwolf's face to be effective. Sub has to be aggresive here because he cant do shit from range. As I said freezeball is useless because of reflect. Both characters are capable of giving each other a hard time but Nightwolf can do it from anywhere where as Sub must close the distance to do so. And he has to thread the needle through shoulder charges,lightning and AA hatchets to get there. Once hes in your face though I feel Sub can hang with anybody.
If Sub gets in Nightwolfs face I think NW's best thing to do is play it cool because alot of times when you think you have a chance to counter attack, its really just an ice clone setup. Its definitely a good challenging matchup for both characters.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Nightwolf is a solid character. The best way to arrive at that conclusion isn't on how many NWs win, but how many last to the finals. There's almost always a Nightwolf that gets to the end of a bracket. That's proof enough on the reliable consistency of the character.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
You hit the nail on the head, and I feel as though this match up largely depends on who's the better aggressor. Sure Nw can pressure Sub zero at mid and far screen, but a well placed ice clone stops shoulders, and arrows you can react to easily with ice slide or x-ray. Now lightning..Is well lightning. As for Sub Zero staying in Nw's face. I can see how that comes into, but he can only do so imo if he traps NW in the corner, otherwise Nw has so much space to work with until he gets trapped.
-fun fact:If you ice clone the moment Nightwolf does hatchet, he doesn't get affected by the clone.

Nori's post brings an interesting sparkle to me. Because from what I've read, he plays a defensive side of Nightwolf, keeping mid screen distance to pressure you with constant shoulders, and throwing in lightning every now and then. As oppose to my rush down style, where I'm always in this "sweet spot" of 1 character away (I wouldn't keep that spot on Sub zero mid screen.) pressuring constantly with his 1221, B+221, F+3, and other tools.

Dark_Rob

Noob
You hit the nail on the head, and I feel as though this match up largely depends on who's the better aggressor. Sure Nw can pressure Sub zero at mid and far screen, but a well placed ice clone stops shoulders, and arrows you can react to easily with ice slide or x-ray. Now lightning..Is well lightning. As for Sub Zero staying in Nw's face. I can see how that comes into, but he can only do so imo if he traps NW in the corner, otherwise Nw has so much space to work with until he gets trapped.
-fun fact:If you ice clone the moment Nightwolf does hatchet, he doesn't get affected by the clone.

Nori's post brings an interesting sparkle to me. Because from what I've read, he plays a defensive side of Nightwolf, keeping mid screen distance to pressure you with constant shoulders, and throwing in lightning every now and then. As oppose to my rush down style, where I'm always in this "sweet spot" of 1 character away (I wouldn't keep that spot on Sub zero mid screen.) pressuring constantly with his 1221, B+221, F+3, and other tools.
I actually did know that. Ive had it happen to me to. I think its because once NW's hatchet is on the screen it gives him invincibility along the arc of its trajectory.
Yea Sub definitely has to use ice clone as a forcefield as he works his way in. Sub has to methodically cut down the stage and work Nightwolf back towards the corner where he can get in his face and start his 22 game. I didnt even bother mentioning arrows because throwing arrows at Subzero from anywhere but full screen is as silly as Sub throwing freezeballs at Nightwolf. Both are pretty useless in this matchup.(Although EX arrow is a nice way to make Sub feel stupid for sliding and make him hesitant to try it again lol) But Sub needs his freeze alot more than NW needs his arrows here, so I still feel it hurts Sub more.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I actually did know that. Ive had it happen to me to. I think its because once NW's hatchet is on the screen it gives him invincibility along the arc of its trajectory.
Yea Sub definitely has to use ice clone as a forcefield as he works his way in. Sub has to methodically cut down the stage and work Nightwolf back towards the corner where he can get in his face and start his 22 game. I didnt even bother mentioning arrows because throwing arrows at Subzero from anywhere but full screen is as silly as Sub throwing freezeballs at Nightwolf. Both are pretty useless in this matchup.(Although EX arrow is a nice way to make Sub feel stupid for sliding and make him hesitant to try it again lol) But Sub needs his freeze alot more than NW needs his arrows here, so I still feel it hurts Sub more.
Yeah, once he gets that hatchet out, nothing will stop it, unless you hit it before it actually comes out. Don't be hesitant to use ex ice ball, that stuff works wonders against nw's who will not think about it during the match. (I sure as hell don't.)

hi dear nightwolf players <3
sona is normaly my main, and because of online random teleporters, nightwolf was my counterpic, but now he is my main, :D
he can destroy people, my stats are 830/99 and i would say 700 of them was raped by nightwolf LOL
tomorow i play with him a little tournament, hope to win with him

i am searching 4 good NW players 2 do some mirrors, the best way 2 learn from each other lol
im from germany, europa players would be better because of lag