What's new

Question - Kano Lab Parties/Happy-Fun-Times?

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Now that I've gotten my body back to (relatively) normal alkaline levels, I am even more committed to not giving up on Kano. He still needs help from NRS, but I think the Kano community has shown its strength in its self-policing since the patch/hotfix. I'd like to tag up on that.

Are there people here who would be interested in getting together regularly - maybe every other week/monthly- to do some extensive, collaborative lab work for a few hours?

I play on PS4 so I can help organize that group. We can pair off based on who knows what other characters to workshop matchups, then all get in on a Skype call to brainstorm what we need to focus on. Could be a good time for the community to get more familiar and work on leveling up their Kanos, in addition to getting in some casuals and just having an all around good time.

All skill levels would be welcome. I don't profess to be anywhere near a great player, but I for one wouldn't mind showing people new to Kano/Cutthroat what I know. This could be a good opportunity for coaching, too

I will start a conversation thread for those interested if we get enough takers.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
I've helped people in online practice mode learn how to play Kano. Lots of people don't see the true combo potential he has, so they just brush him off. When someone actually plays him decently, people are suddenly interested in learning him. I have the most experience in teaching someone how to play Cybernetic and Commando. Cutthroat is too straight forward really to teach. I'd be glad to be apart of this lab time.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Now that I've gotten my body back to (relatively) normal alkaline levels, I am even more committed to not giving up on Kano. He still needs help from NRS, but I think the Kano community has shown its strength in its self-policing since the patch/hotfix. I'd like to tag up on that.

Are there people here who would be interested in getting together regularly - maybe every other week/monthly- to do some extensive, collaborative lab work for a few hours?

I play on PS4 so I can help organize that group. We can pair off based on who knows what other characters to workshop matchups, then all get in on a Skype call to brainstorm what we need to focus on. Could be a good time for the community to get more familiar and work on leveling up their Kanos, in addition to getting in some casuals and just having an all around good time.

All skill levels would be welcome. I don't profess to be anywhere near a great player, but I for one wouldn't mind showing people new to Kano/Cutthroat what I know. This could be a good opportunity for coaching, too

I will start a conversation thread for those interested if we get enough takers.
This would be a pretty cool idea. I don't normally play online anymore but I'd do it for something like this.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I mean I'm on XB1 and I can't even connect to anyone online any more but I'll do whatever lol.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Feel free to add me too - Dukmunky. Put "TYM" in the request message so I know.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Interested, but at the moment i'm working on the 'absolute beginners guide to Kano Commando'. When I got this thing down, i'll be ready to share and learn from you guys. Interesting thread.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Interested, but at the moment i'm working on the 'absolute beginners guide to Kano Commando'. When I got this thing down, i'll be ready to share and learn from you guys. Interesting thread.
There's already one being made.

One thing that might help solidify your learning might be to play against other Commando mains. They can show you what to do and critique your development. Even if it's just a case of watching the stream, this seems like a really good, friendly environment to aid you.

I'd join you if I wasn't an ocean away.

COLOS5US

Noob
I'd be interested in leveling up my Kano or just playing some casuals with people.

My XB1 GT is xX COLOS5US Xx

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Ok.. I'm wrecked and I feel as if I'm the fish on my avatar. Played about 30 matches today and lost about 25 of 'em. My main is Cutthroat Kano and anybody who wants to join in and get better together: OmeMark is my PSN-name.

The things I want to improve:
- Deal with spammers (throw attacks)
- Get consistant on combo's (combo's drop too much)
- Attack variation (I'm doing Kano ball + F212 way to much)
- Unpredictability ( low, mid, high, overhead)

This is me playing:

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
Ok.. I'm wrecked and I feel as if I'm the fish on my avatar. Played about 30 matches today and lost about 25 of 'em. My main is Cutthroat Kano and anybody who wants to join in and get better together: OmeMark is my PSN-name.

This is me playing:
Thanks for the video! Well for starters, I noticed you sat there and stared at your opponent for way too long. As cutthroat you should be up in their face constantly so you can get those juicy 50/50s. You played tremor and kenshi and the last thing you want to do with those two characters is stand there or they'll just throw shit at you all day Also on your comment for landing consistent combos the best thing to do is just keep practicing them. I'm telling you after a while it all becomes muscle memory. And never end your combos in f212. You can't cancel into specials like Kano ball. It's used only as a launcher or combo extender. And always push to keep them in the corner. Once you get the combos and 50/50s down they won't be able to guess what you'll do next. I hope this helps a little.

This is me playing:
Ok, I've watched the first three fights and have a pretty clear idea what you need to work on.

Hit confirming f212

F21 is safe on block, f212 isn't. I noticed you're throwing out f212 from outside it's range in the hope it hits. Go to training mode, set the dummy to block random combo and hit it with f21. If the dummy blocks it, don't press anything else. If you hit the dummy, press the last 2 to complete the string and go into your combo.

Unsafe moves

I'm guilty of throwing out Kano Ball at predictable moments too. The best solution for now is to only use Kano Ball as a combo ender and stop using air ball entirely. When you are able to do well without them, reintroduce them into your game.

Forward dashing when you should be running

You can't cancel dashes into moves, and they have recovery frames. If you dash into an opponent, you're basicly saying 'Hi! Punch me in the face!'. Save dashes for combos and hard knock downs. Learn to run in and which ranges to cancel your run into an attack.

Not blocking pokes

If somebody is hitting you with crouching normals, don't try and hit back, block. After you block, they will be at a negative frame disadvantage and you'll have a small window to begin your offence.

Jump ins

After a jump in, go straight into b121 or b31. Don't do 112 or f212, they hit high and mid and can be blocked standing or crouching. CT had safe pressure, b121 and b31 are safe on block, and b121 is a really easy hit confirm into EX Blade Slice on hit or EX Knives on block (b31 can be hit confirmed, but it's harder). Post jump in is the ideal moment for a true 50/50. Make your opponent guess.

Throwing out EX blade slice without combing into it.

Bad idea. It's unsafe and wastes a bar of meter than CT desperately needs. Practice hit confirming off of b121 and b31 using the exercise I listed at the top.

A few other things to bare in mind.

-Practicing combos in training mode is not a free pass to landing them in a match. Combos are a reward to good footsies. Learning to space your moves properly and hit confirm are much more important at this stage. Keep practicing your combos, but remember that footsies are important too.

-People don't spam throws. They throw when they see you blocking within throw range because throws beat blocks. Throws are massively important tools in the mix up and footsie game. This might be hard to hear, but you are being out played. I'm not being cruel, being outplayed is nothing to be ashamed of. We, as humans, often greatly overvalue our skill, and look for excuses to protect our ego when things don't go our way. Ego is toxic to learning. Learn to take a step back and recognise your mistakes. THIS IS HARD TO DO, BUT KEEP TRYING. One way to do this is to stop measuring your progress by your win rate, and use matches as live training sessions. Stop trying to win, and start just trying to play well.

-Besides chains that start with overheads and lows and chains that can be canceled into overhead or low specials, very few moves are unpredictable. Highs and mids aren't a problem as they can be blocked low. You'll learn to recognise blocking patterns over time, but there is a lot to learn, and it will take months, if not years, to learn it all.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up when you lose. Fighting games are not like other games. You don't get better just by playing, you have to work hard. Some characters will do more of the heavy lifting for you, but CT requires more forethought. You're on the right track by joining TYM. Keep playing, keep posting questions and you will improve.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I know from my own experience in MKX and SFIV that I have learned the most and made the largest strides when I stopped trying to win and just concentrated on setting goals for myself in each match.

I'd sit down and say to myself 'this session I'm going to focus on punishing attacks and starting offense only when my opponent screws up' or , the exact opposite, and I'd concentrate on starting offense myself and trying to smother my opponent. Or if practice a specific combo, etc etc

By doing this, I've been able to really improve on several areas of my game, allowing me to slowly incorporate all of it together. Like after I spent days focusing on punishes and nothing else, then went on the offensive, I found myself launching in to strong punishes naturally and more on instinct.

This is just a general suggestion. A more direct suggestion is after you lab practice for a bit, play ladders for a while vs the AI and do NOTHING but practice the same combo in a semi-live environment. That's how I suppliment my static lab practice.