What's new

Kung Lao's Chained Fist Combo

I've sat for 2 hours a day for the last 3 days trying to perfectly do this combo. It's the 21212 combo. I'm playing on a PS3 with the standard PS3 controller. About 1/3 of the time it works and 2/3 of the time it doesn't take it. Is there a better way to do this without changing controller settings just for this character? The way I'm doing this is I put my thumb between 2 and 1 and hit right and left. It works, just doesn't work most of the time. Any suggestions?

This problem almost makes me want to abandon Kung Lao. As for putting my fingers on the buttons like an arcade stick, then that doesn't really work well because you end up having to move your fingers too far away from the block button.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
First of all, dont abandon a char cause you cant do 212121. Yeah it sucks you're missing out on a godlike blockstring, but you've still got the rest of Kung Lao to play around with, and trust me, even without 212121, Kung Lao is dangerous.

Second, i use my left thumb on 1 and my right thumb on 2 and mash. Always end in 1, not 2, ending in 2 gives you the unsafe overhead.

Lastly, practice a little every day. When you go to sleep, all that 212121 practice is going to be burned into your mind. Its like exercising, you cant overtrain because it does nothing more than hurt yourself. Take a break and come back you'll find that you will do it more and more consistently and level up that much quicker.

LOl, actually I play on ps2 pad and that string is very easy to do without switching the way you hold your pad. Maybe its a bit different on ps3 pad, because the ps3 pad is kind of inferior. Just use your thumb and place it between the square and triangle button, slide your thumb over both buttons, dont press those buttons completely, just the very tip of both buttons needs to be touched for it to work. just try it, hella easy.

Garasky

Noob
LOl, actually I play on ps2 pad and that string is very easy to do without switching the way you hold your pad. Maybe its a bit different on ps3 pad, because the ps3 pad is kind of inferior. Just use your thumb and place it between the square and triangle button, slide your thumb over both buttons, dont press those buttons completely, just the very tip of both buttons needs to be touched for it to work. just try it, hella easy.
I have small fingers : (

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
This is the problem I have too kind of. It's not that I can't get the combo to work, I can get 21212 to come out almost every single time. But it's that I can't do 21212 spin, or 21212 low hat, or 21212 overhead whenever I want. If I could pull off those 3 combos/blockstrings whenever I wanted during a match, I think Kung Lao would be one of the best characters in the game. Those are some godlike mixups and blockstrings, and it would be nice to be able to hit confirm into spin whenever need be. But whenever I put in the 21212 I input it so fast that it won't let me spin or low hat afterward, so it kinda sucks for me. I'm still practicing with it though

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I am considering using a Stick just for the fact that I could do this string anytime that I wanted to. Or fully fight whilst holding the grind hat down, thats really not looked into yet.

I have small fingers : (
I am considering using a Stick just for the fact that I could do this string anytime that I wanted to. Or fully fight whilst holding the grind hat down, thats really not looked into yet.
This is the problem I have too kind of. It's not that I can't get the combo to work, I can get 21212 to come out almost every single time. But it's that I can't do 21212 spin, or 21212 low hat, or 21212 overhead whenever I want. If I could pull off those 3 combos/blockstrings whenever I wanted during a match, I think Kung Lao would be one of the best characters in the game. Those are some godlike mixups and blockstrings, and it would be nice to be able to hit confirm into spin whenever need be. But whenever I put in the 21212 I input it so fast that it won't let me spin or low hat afterward, so it kinda sucks for me. I'm still practicing with it though
NOOOOO, serious guyss listen to me, this is hella easy the tip of both buttons touch them slightly, you dont even need to practice it, you can get it consistent after a few times. TRY IT!! My hands aren't big either. If it really doesnt work well it must be the ps3 pad, ps2 pad works perfectly.

Garasky

Noob
NOOOOO, serious guyss listen to me, this is hella easy the tip of both buttons touch them slightly, you dont even need to practice it, you can get it consistent after a few times. TRY IT!! My hands aren't big either. If it really doesnt work well it must be the ps3 pad, ps2 pad works perfectly.
Am I the only one using a PS3 pad? I have a fight stick but I still feel more comfortable with pads.

Am I the only one using a PS3 pad? I have a fight stick but I still feel more comfortable with pads.
Just tried it out for you and ps3 pad works fine as well, just not as comfortable. I used to use ps3 pads but I also play street fighter AE and I can only get some moves consistently with ps2 pad. You can just search the net and you should be able to get a ps2pad+converter for around 20$? PS2 pad is just more smooth and its easier to push in the buttons they are a bit softer I guess. The other thing I like about ps2 pad is the block button, its much better than that stupid trigger which was made for shooters.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Just tried it out for you and ps3 pad works fine as well, just not as comfortable. I used to use ps3 pads but I also play street fighter AE and I can only get some moves consistently with ps2 pad. You can just search the net and you should be able to get a ps2pad+converter for around 20$? PS2 pad is just more smooth and its easier to push in the buttons they are a bit softer I guess. The other thing I like about ps2 pad is the block button, its much better than that stupid trigger which was made for shooters.
But can you do 21212 low hat or 21212 overhead at every single given moment you want to, or can you only pull it off sometimes?

Ok guys heres how you solve this problem. Switch your buttons from 2 to 3 and 3 to 2, then learn to play it this way. So now you can do 313131 with your thumb (use the middle part of the thumb and the top part of your thumb as if you do a forward roll). PROBLEM SOLVED

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
get a stick with the MK layout.
Also, 2,1,2,1,2 scales too much. 2,1 is bset.
point of this string is not really for damage, it's for building hella meter on block, though you should be able to hit confirm it into a special. It's a lot like Nightwolfs b111hatchet, except it's harder to do the hit confirm. My bro is a kung player with a pad and he doesn't even use it cuz he says it's too hard, but back when I used to play kung with a controller I just switched to my pointer and middle finger and did it okay. My bro says he doesn't want to take his finger off block though. This string, and holding his eh low hat while doing strings, is one of the reasons I switched to a stick and I've been lovin it every since. Even though I don't really play Kung hardly anymore. I thank that character for making me switch. It was a tough learning process but I couldn't see myself ever playin a fight game on a pad again.

But can you do 21212 low hat or 21212 overhead at every single given moment you want to, or can you only pull it off sometimes?
I dont see why anyone would want to do any of those string because they are both high risk low reward and you can jump out of low hat I think. But Anyways you just have to slide your finger over the buttons slightly for the normal string, canceling is easy just input the low hat immediatly after sliding twice over 2121. for the overhead just slide three times.

Just try it out king, if you actually tried it you wouldnt be asking it:D.

UsedForGlue

I dont see why anyone would want to do any of those string because they are both high risk low reward and you can jump out of low hat I think. But Anyways you just have to slide your finger over the buttons slightly for the normal string, canceling is easy just input the low hat immediatly after sliding twice over 2121. for the overhead just slide three times.

Just try it out king, if you actually tried it you wouldnt be asking it:D.
They build meter, and opponents never punish it.

They build meter, and opponents never punish it.
I meant why, use the overhead or low hat ender when its full combo punish. the regular 21212 is the only string of those three that should be used imo. and it turned into a string you cant abuse that much anymore since tom told us why..

UsedForGlue

Ah right, na I never used the Overhead hat because its so easily punished.

I mean, I know KL's 21212 is strictly punishable, but it goes un-punished on block allot, and I am not 100% certain that is punishable by everyone without specials. And then again, Reptiles dash on block goes un-punished quite allot.

Ah right, na I never used the Overhead hat because its so easily punished.

I mean, I know KL's 21212 is strictly punishable, but it goes un-punished on block allot, and I am not 100% certain that is punishable by everyone without specials. And then again, Reptiles dash on block goes un-punished quite allot.
Yeah its surprisingly how many people think they know lao when they actually don't. I have used him for 2 months now and am still very oblivious to so many things. I think thats why lao gets away with a lot of stuff like 21212