What's new

Kung Lao was Built to Win

Shawi

Noob
He has multiple safe strings which are advantage on block, low starters and unbelievable mixups. He has a divekick and can close down distance with his stupid roll. He has a teleport WITH multiple options and his EX has armor. He effectively has three projectiles, low hat is very fast and the mid hat can be controlled up and down. He has one of the best anti airs in the game at 6 frames. His damage output with 1 bar exceeds 40% midscreen and without meter in the corner. His x-ray can be followed up AND be used as an antiair. His d3/4 are brilliant poking tools and his pressure game is one of the best.

How do I beat him!!!!!

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Lol at advantage on block. Just bait the spin mate, whenever you knock him down, stand right next to him and dont block. Then block right before he wakes up, most online warriors will mash spin, you'll block it, hey presto free combo.

Tele's can be d1'd, neutral ducking is really effective vs KL, overheads are predictable (he grabs his hat). This forum is filled with stuff on how to beat KL, read up

Low starters cease to make any difference when your opponent blocks low. Nothing that KL does grants advantage on block as far as I know... If you have a 6 frame D1 it should beat any follow up, especially since the first hit of all KL strings is a high. 1121, 21212, 241+2... High hitbox characters like smoke will have more trouble getting out of pressure game though.

It is kind of difficult for us to help you beat KL when we don't know what character you're playing against him with. If you main sheeva, then you should probably just expect to lose.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
op has no idea. please go to the frame data thread.

almost all of his strings are 0. neutral.
he has 1 low starter (which leads to nothing unless in the corner and scales terribly)
every other string starts high and remains high except 24.
his low hat is not very fast. acid spit is very fast. kano knife is very fast. freddy glove is very fast.
if a hat misses the opponent there are a number of seconds before he can throw another.
his pressure game is no longer one of the best by any stretch. all his strings are neutral. you have equal opportunity whenever he finishes a string. god help the KL player who uses low hat in a string because it is negative on block. johnny cage has a pressure game. kabal has a pressure game. skarlet has a pressure game. kung lao has a mind game.

so what he has an armored teleport and a dive kick. he needs it. look at the front page of the kl forum. there are a number of threads detailing the keys to beating kung lao.

gdf

Noob
What is this advantage of that you speak of?

Joking set aside, low hat is not a very effective move, every time you see that move come out, do what you can to beat the crap out of Kung Lao.

Some of Kung Lao's strings can be poked out of, therefore if you use someone that has a good poke, you can use it effectively.

By the way, could you state your main character?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Being able to be poked out of strings doesnt really mean much in this game, alot of characters have that. KL owns

davidovitch

In Europe!
Just bait the spin mate...
...Tele's can be d1'd
Good Kung Lao players usually spin only on reaction, which means you rarely get the chance to punish it. And some characters can not d1 the teleport because they will get hit by the 3 (Sheeva and Kenshi are the ones I've noticed this with and I am sure there are others).

Other than perhaps the remark about the frame advantage I agree with the topic starter. What annoys me about the low hat is that even if you read it and jump over it Kung Lao recovers fast enough to block your jump-in.

Good Kung Lao players usually spin only on reaction, which means you rarely get the chance to punish it. And some characters can not d1 the teleport because they will get hit by the 3 (Sheeva and Kenshi are the ones I've noticed this with and I am sure there are others).

Other than perhaps the remark about the frame advantage I agree with the topic starter. What annoys me about the low hat is that even if you read it and jump over it Kung Lao recovers fast enough to block your jump-in.
actually one of the mindgames kl has is about the spin or no spin, which means its risky. examples are blocked tele3, blocked 1121, blocked 24.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
You guys are waaaay overrating KL. The minute you surrender to this train of thought you surrender any chance you have of beating him. This forum is filled with anti-KL tech, read read read.

actually one of the mindgames kl has is about the spin or no spin, which means its risky. examples are blocked tele3, blocked 1121, blocked 24.
This. I spin in anticipation of counterpokes. Blocked tele3's and blocked f3's are by far the most successful scenarios

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Kung Lao is a very good character.

But not because of the things that you stated.That shit is v1.03 God Lao.

Current Lao Is not God...But SuperHuman. I'm with the UK guys here, KL is very very good.In fact, I regretted dropping him when he got nerfed.

Kung Lao is a very good character.

But not because of the things that you stated.That shit is v1.03 God Lao.

Current Lao Is not God...But SuperHuman. I'm with the UK guys here, KL is very very good.In fact, I regretted dropping him when he got nerfed.
actually, kung lao was still not the best imo. during the earlier version without armor kabal, cage and raiden were definitely the best imo, especially raiden, without armor all over the game he could really start some real good offense and he had a block infinite because vicinity blast was +13 on block and built hella meter, so with the fast teleport he could just run away and whiff vicinity blast, and you had to respect him so much because if I recall the superman was also faster and if you did something he could teleport right behind you and fuck you up.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
op has no idea. please go to the frame data thread.

almost all of his strings are 0. neutral.
he has 1 low starter (which leads to nothing unless in the corner and scales terribly)
every other string starts high and remains high except 24.
his low hat is not very fast. acid spit is very fast. kano knife is very fast. freddy glove is very fast.
if a hat misses the opponent there are a number of seconds before he can throw another.
his pressure game is no longer one of the best by any stretch. all his strings are neutral. you have equal opportunity whenever he finishes a string. god help the KL player who uses low hat in a string because it is negative on block. johnny cage has a pressure game. kabal has a pressure game. skarlet has a pressure game. kung lao has a mind game.

so what he has an armored teleport and a dive kick. he needs it. look at the front page of the kl forum. there are a number of threads detailing the keys to beating kung lao.
Not to mention, it's so easy to escape his Ex teleport by just jumping backwards unless Kung Lao has a knockdown.