What's new

Question - Tempest Kung lao vs kitana mu

Captain l2ed

White wolf
Hey guys, I've always had trouble with the tempest vs kitana mu.I feel like she brings Laos offense to a screeching halt. Any advice?

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Kitana limits Lao neutral cause of fans, you cant basically abuse the jip2 so you have to play patient, maybe trying to counterzone with bf2 and slowly work your way in.

mind the run up throws as kitana players loves to do that, and once you get in it's party time as Lao cause you beat her up close.

make sure to always have the ex spin ready for the float gimmicks

Tweedy

Noob
Don't throw your hat, unless she's like at full screen.

EX spin regular fan on block.

Lao actually doesn't really care about float, or anything like that, if you just do EX spin. Just don't let her mix up your inputs.

If she does reflect, teleport 3 or teleport grab.

Be aware of her best staggers. Bait and punish her armor.

Don't throw 112124 on block. Leave the 4 out, she makes it whiffs.

Don't jump.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Dont teleport spam, don't jump. He does fine against kitana imo. Just play patiently. Once you get in pressure her with your staggers, ex hat pressure, and bait oit ex rising fans for punishes. Lao can't be played like he used to. If the kitana jumps around a ton ex spin . teleporting on reaction to fan throws is a good idea tho just don't spam. I don't think he loses this matchup. Maybe 5-5 ??

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Tempest spin and non tempest spin are all 7f. However don't try to reversal spin to punish fan UNLESS she cancel fan from these most popular strings: 111, F112, 21
From 212 and max range d1, Tempest spin won't reach. She can also block non tempest spin. Simple logic: fan takes forever to travel that long distance, so she's less negative. You can actually punish d1 fan and raw d1 with non tempest spin, but don't try that with Tempest (it either can't reach or gets blocked)
She can also cancel fan from other strings as well: B14, F33, B12, B3. But two hit strings are hit confirmable into lift, B3 usually goes with ex fan, so she won't use these much

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
Used to think it was 5-5....then realized lao only beat her once at high level im tournament...no way its a 5-5 esp now with real time game clock...she can literally play keep away...its atleast 6-4 kitana

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Kitana and Kotal are the worst MU for me. Maybe I am playing it wrong since I am not playing that much anyway. What are Your your thoughts ?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Used to think it was 5-5....then realized lao only beat her once at high level im tournament...
You know... A character having beaten another character only once in tournament means nothing to the matchup really... That's like saying the Mystic v Master of Storms matchup is 8-2... Because I've never seen a Master of Storms player beat a Mystic player in a tournament...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This is where Hat Trick would shine if he was functioning properly tho Hat traps controls a good portion of space that Tempest and Buzzsaw can't, sadly the HCB juggles being affected by standing or crouching stance really puts him a room away of what it could be.

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
You know... A character having beaten another character only once in tournament means nothing to the matchup really... That's like saying the Mystic v Master of Storms matchup is 8-2... Because I've never seen a Master of Storms player beat a Mystic player in a tournament...
I should have qualified my post by saying i play regulary with KP in my scene...its not a matchup that was in Laos favor pre patch let alone now

Tweedy

Noob
I still have it as a 5-5, since Kitana is one of the few characters that have remained dirt slow, along with Lao.

So after EX hat, it's a lot easier to keep your turn, against her.

A lot of the Kitana wins vs Lao in tournament were when she was doing like 50%+ for a bar. After that, there was literally one tournament where Slayer beat Kitanaprime and Sonic, with Lao.