What's new

Strategy - Tempest Kung Lao: Tempest: general gaps in his moves and strings.

Did this thread about Kung lao help you in any way or not?

• This helped me in some way!

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • this did not help me at all.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
lets start with NO i don't think he needs a nerf or a buff, i think he and every other character needs to be left alone in that aspect.

what im talking about in this thread is normal game mechanics. not MU (every character has this mechanic)

with that in mind, i decided to post this up so the kung lao players that are new to him but love playing him and want to further his game. and some of them might want to know that some combos that feel safe on block, actually are not that safe, and in fact can be combo punished by a few fast character strings and almost always Metered through at these specific points in his strings.

knowing this can not only strengthen your game as him but strengthen your game against him as well.
you may use these combos and you may not use them.
but it would be good to know which ones can be punished,

some time frame data lies and says its safe. jk

below is the data sheet:

KEY:

D=down
U=up
F=forward
B=back
~ = punishable point/wiff frames

Punishable strings/moves:

F14 (is dangerous low combo because its -27frames on block.)

F2~3 (is punishable after first hit)

F3D3 (is another low that's dangerous on block, its -22)

4~4 (is punishable after first hit, there is 8 frames between them. 7 frame move will interupt full combo punish.)not to mention armor moves, normal specials ect.

DB1(hat spin) (is punishable when linked after every combo if your opponent blocks it.)

Teleport (is punishable by most projectiles if used by itself(not canceled into after combo)

Teleport actions:
(Can be punished by ducking(don't block during duck)
2 (can be punished with uppercut by most of roster.)
3 (can be stopped by D+1 by most characters. after block with some and before with some.)
4 (is very slow on start and very punishable by multiple moves.)

i think people just didnt understand what i was saying so here is a video:hat spin gap:
well this is his weak points that i have found so far:

hope this helps anyone with Kung Lao

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I though KL didn't had a F2D3 string, as far as i know his high low string starter is F23, right?

All of them and hat spin is safe on block. It does suck that f23 has a gap and is punishable on block, but just stick to using it for punishes.

MadeOfMetal

All of them and hat spin is safe on block. It does suck that f23 has a gap and is punishable on block, but just stick to using it for punishes.
i respectfully disagree with all of that.... i made this so certain players could realize that thier are gaps/openings/weaknesses per say in certain situations.

i think you are just not understanding what i am telling you!

before the hat comes out on certain combop strings its punishable.

an example of when its safe is at the end of a combo ender that knocks them down chain it on the end and hover over them on ground to stop certain wake ups and maybe stand their with block ready in case of meter retaliation.

MK_Al

Noob
These aren't weaknesses. You just don't use those moves or use them only in specific situations.
I don't know whats wrong with the Initial post, he was just pointing out that you can punish those strings/moves.
Also, it is a weakness that you can somehow escape most of his starters. Duck 11, backdash/punish 44, b321 and f23. That leaves b12 (don't know the BA right now). Doesn't mean that it's easy to fight KL, and he has still a lot of good stuff left, but that isn't what this post is about.

MadeOfMetal

I don't know whats wrong with the Initial post, he was just pointing out that you can punish those strings/moves.
Also, it is a weakness that you can somehow escape most of his starters. Duck 11, backdash/punish 44, b321 and f23. That leaves b12 (don't know the BA right now). Doesn't mean that it's easy to fight KL, and he has still a lot of good stuff left, but that isn't what this post is about.
ty kind sir

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
B2, 1, hat spin works on block.
The first two hits of heavy mountain, and/or 1,1,2,1,2,4 hat spin is also un-interruptible.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Not sure, but isn't there a gap in 11212*gap*4 ?
Not if you're close. One of the chain punches only misses from long range 1, 1.
It's too risky to try to interrupt a gap that small, in my opinion.

Zanxus

I understand the point of the thread for punishing the gap of hat spin and other strings, I think you misunderstood some people when they said hat spin is safe on block as they weren't referring to the gap but when you block hat spin you can't punish cause its -3 on block.