What's new

Tech - Kung Jin Kung Jin Pressure on Block

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Instant run cancel 1/2 should frame trap yeah?

This is really cool. Gonna start implementing it.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
uhh yeah, there's all kinds of option slects you can run with this.
F2 D1 ex arrow is a full 30% combo on hit and plus seven on block, you can go for another 50-50.
huge blow up to any kung jin player that hasn't used this.
why am I telling you guys this... elemayo

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
uhh yeah, there's all kinds of option slects you can run with this.
F2 D1 ex arrow is a full 30% combo on hit and plus seven on block, you can go for another 50-50.
huge blow up to any kung jin player that hasn't used this.
why am I telling you guys this... elemayo
30% in the corner? got ya.

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
I was playing the AI on hard (tempest lao) and was doing 111 into mb straight arrow and he had enough time to get a hat throw out and interrupt my next string, does 111 pushback too far to be able to use it effectively? If so what all strings would allow for a simi-blockstring? I didnt get to test very long earlier.

FinalBoss_FGC

I was playing the AI on hard (tempest lao) and was doing 111 into mb straight arrow and he had enough time to get a hat throw out and interrupt my next string, does 111 pushback too far to be able to use it effectively? If so what all strings would allow for a simi-blockstring? I didnt get to test very long earlier.
Don't 111 unless you get a ji2 to connect for full damage. I use 11, 34, b14(b12 for Shaolin), f24, 22 (Shaolin) and a few others. That last hit for block strings typically knock back too far. You basically wanna do strings that keep them close

Darth Rambo

Don't 111 unless you get a ji2 to connect for full damage. I use 11, 34, b14(b12 for Shaolin), f24, 22 (Shaolin) and a few others. That last hit for block strings typically knock back too far. You basically wanna do strings that keep them close
Ok i see what your saying, i only use bojutsu this is my first serious fighting game so im still a noob. Could you explain what makes shaolin better than bojutsu?

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
I remember testing this week one but I still think it's not so useful unless you wanna chip someone out at the end of a match. His F2 is too slow, so the opponent just needs to block low and they're good. Or they could just intercept your F2.

FinalBoss_FGC

I remember testing this week one but I still think it's not so useful unless you wanna chip someone out at the end of a match. His F2 is too slow, so the opponent just needs to block low and they're good. Or they could just intercept your F2.
It gives you plus advantage to continue pressure...after that your b1 is like 6 frames.

Airvidal

Those 6 frames are enough for a back dash though. Also, there are characters with 6 frame moves. I also believe you should be able to neutral jump that b1(Gotta test that, not sure). Best bet would be to d1, buuuut then you'd be negative and you wasted a bar for nothing. It's a bit of a non reliable set up IMO. I'll test all of what I said tomorrow and I'll come back.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Good video, EX arrow might work once in a while but unfortunately this pressure is not that good, it isn't something you can build your strategy on imho.
Considering that Kung Jin doesn't build that much meter during the match, is probably better to spend it to hit confirm strings into EX Low Chakram or for a random EX Divekick.

Also, not many knows that most of the time (not always) the opponent can armor in between the 2 hits of EX Chakram or EX Low Chakram...I've seen many players abuse it but It's very risky, you might die just for that. Nobody knows the Shaolin matchup

Airvidal

It gives you plus advantage to continue pressure...after that your b1 is like 6 frames.
So, I tested that +7 advantage after the arrows. Like I remembered, not good. You can back dash and KJ's b1 will hit but the follow up won't. Unless you wanna be unsafe and do the Lunge kick(Which is not the point of using a bar). You could also jump back or forward without ANY harm(and punish him). A d1 with 7 frames will trade with his d1 and after the trade KJ is -2 -_-/ that's so dumb...should be plus on hit

Parasurama

Dragon
Hey, thanks for the vid, I have been working on the tech in the lab but in the matches, faster characters seem to be pressuring me more than anything else. Still get a 50/50 occasionally, NJP, and armored reversal (counter pokes) though, but I like your idea of making a failed mix up into chip and then going for another mix up, I think the corner the up arrow would be more reliable than at mid screen. I am playing with Bo Jo.

Parasurama

Dragon
Hi guys, I do not see a thread on this, but if there is I do apologise. In the uploaded video, it is said that Shaolin is better than Bojutsu, I do not disagree with it, I would like to know the reasons, I tried playing a few times, with Shaolin, and it felt weaker not having my armoured bo spin and boswat for combos. There must be other strategies, or strengths. I like the low and mid projectile , and I know the meter version of the discs do combo, but I dislike using meter for every combo. I have heard on ESL that one of the announcers said that Shaolin is best variation of KJ, I would just like some insight into that play style and why it is superior to Bo-jutsu.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Hi guys, I do not see a thread on this, but if there is I do apologise. In the uploaded video, it is said that Shaolin is better than Bojutsu, I do not disagree with it, I would like to know the reasons, I tried playing a few times, with Shaolin, and it felt weaker not having my armoured bo spin and boswat for combos. There must be other strategies, or strengths. I like the low and mid projectile , and I know the meter version of the discs do combo, but I dislike using meter for every combo. I have heard on ESL that one of the announcers said that Shaolin is best variation of KJ, I would just like some insight into that play style and why it is superior to Bo-jutsu.
I used to only play Bojutsu, and then switched to playing Shaolin only. I think that, overall, Shaolin has less bad matchups because it is a more well rounded variation when it comes to spacing. The chakrams, while far from the best zoning tool in the game, do a good job of at least keeping heavier zoners in check long enough to allow you to rush in for a mixup. Bojutsu has less options at full screen. Also, you can build pretty good meter in shaolin, even though you also burn a good amount of it on ex chakrams.

Parasurama

Dragon
I used to only play Bojutsu, and then switched to playing Shaolin only. I think that, overall, Shaolin has less bad matchups because it is a more well rounded variation when it comes to spacing. The chakrams, while far from the best zoning tool in the game, do a good job of at least keeping heavier zoners in check long enough to allow you to rush in for a mixup. Bojutsu has less options at full screen. Also, you can build pretty good meter in shaolin, even though you also burn a good amount of it on ex chakrams.

Thanks, how do you use the flying up kick, mostly as combo ender or anti air too? So I suppose, the ex cartwheel becomes the best armor wakeup? I will try Shaolin for the zoners at first.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Thanks, how do you use the flying up kick, mostly as combo ender or anti air too? So I suppose, the ex cartwheel becomes the best armor wakeup? I will try Shaolin for the zoners at first.
I use upkick mainly as a combo ender, e.g., B12, ex low chakram, NJP, ji4, divekick, run, 34, upkick, d4. you can also use it for shorter strings such as 221, upkick, d4 or b214, upkick, d4. I don't find it to be very reliable as an anti-air given that large amount of startup frames - it only really works as an anti-air if you do it before an opponent even jumps (with the expectation that they will do so). If they are already in the air, the upkick is too slow to hit on reaction.

for armored wakeup, you can do ex cartwheel, ex lunge kick or ex upkick. None of these are quite as effective as ex bo swing in Bojutsu, but that's fine because Shaolin's other tools make up for it.

Y not use up arrow that is +15. Was in the lab with ancestral kung jin. He can do a guaranteed blockstring that does up to 10%chip if in fire quiver. Inputs - f243 ex db2 rc 221 dd1. Well it leaves u unsafe tho.

Darth Rambo

Y not use up arrow that is +15. Was in the lab with ancestral kung jin. He can do a guaranteed blockstring that does up to 10%chip if in fire quiver. Inputs - f243 ex db2 rc 221 dd1. Well it leaves u unsafe tho.
How were you testing this? Against AI set to block: always and stance: jump?