What's new

Kryptonite Academy Episode 2 - Raven Tutorial Basic and Advanced Tactics

Sami

Noob
Nice video. More focused to playing against Raven than abusing the hell out of her, but good none-the-less. I even picked up something (the Bane push-block part) which would've been good to know as I got blown up hard in that MU when in the corner.

I might have been typing down things as I watched the video as I thought of them. Here is that list. Mainly focused towards people picking up Raven, although obviously her opponents will need to know some of this. Not blowing up the video, just covering things that were missed or not worth explaining in depth to try and make the whole thing as complete as possible. Okay, some of it is slightly blowing up the video (where's the standing reset ARGH!!).

Disclaimer: I have proof read literally none of this.

1) Use standing 3 after jump-ins as it's soooo easy to hit confirm into lift and has good damage and low combo damage scaling. Better scaling than starting with f222 as well. It's also neutral on block.

2) there is a hole in b12[gap]3 but blows up all parries (http://testyourmight.com/threads/riddle-me-this-gaps-vs-parries.33085/). Supers and other instant armour moves can punish it. 22[gap]3 gets beat by most (all?) parries though.

3) b12 (low low) has a ghetto mix-up by doing b1 ff MB (low overhead), but the overhead has a much longer start-up and costs 2 bars.

4) IIRC Soul Crush MB isn't a hard knockdown, only the non-MB one. Be careful when doing Soul Crush MB into trait.

5) Info: pillars don't MB if they wiff or are blocked.

6) Today Pig learns that not all dashes are created equal ;)

7) Soul Crush has slightly longer start-up the further away the opponent.

8) You can punish ground teleports, and air teleport is not 40 frames (especially when cancelled into an air normal).

9) More frame traps: b3 and f3 both have huge advantage on block. The push-back does fuck up some options though.

10) Raven's sweep at max range sets up a j3 cross-over. Not ambigious. I seem to remember that it wiffs completely if they just stand up without blocking/crouching.

11) 11b2 looks almost identical to 11~lift and can be used to bait punishes. 11b2 can be cancelled into lift for more mind games.

12) Standing 2 looks like a wiffed lift (also good for baiting).

13) Been calling the Raven advantage over GL all day erry day :p. He still beats her up close until you guess right and block a lift, then he's fucked. All the while he has meter he can make a most of his close stuff safe though.

14) Aquaman traits out of demon grab if it's done at very close range. The opponent is dragged along the ground for a number of frames at the start before being slightly lifted up. If the second hit of the demon grab hits while still on the ground, Aquaman's trait will allow him to block it.

15) Blind Man finally accepts Grundy is a bad match-up!! ;)

16) Black Adam can't punish Soul Crush at range - all of his specials can be blocked. In addition, blocked Black Magic gives a free everything. He also has no real close-up mix-up game that leads into big combos (you can see the lighting coming a mile off).

17) b23 up close against KF when she wakes up beats everything but the parry. Slide goes under it, it beats spikes/daggers.

18) If you want to practice f22u1 setups, just do f22u1 followed by f22u1 and ignore the rest of the combo as the spacing doesn't change :p

19) Sinetro setup: Can you fake the setup by doing a front teleport instead? You'll teleport on the spot (or perhaps even closer to him) and might be able to land the kick.

20) d2: might've been an online thing, but the range of her D2 looks far worse than it did when I used it. I was playing on a 360, you're on a PS3... might want to see if there's a bug in there as I seemed to be AAing things a mile off.

21) Raven forums blowing Blind Man up: Pig, what you need to remember is that Blind Man hardly posted a thing in the Raven forums (no combos/tech/etc) compared to other players, hence when he showed up going "I'm the best player", he was asked to prove it or shut up. He proved it at Evo. He may have had a good reputation with other players who had played against his Raven, but evidence of this was non-existant. And since Evo, people stopped blowing him up and accepted that he's a very good player. I still say he needs to come up with some new tech, but that's because I'm an elitest teck prick. No, using teleport to bait/reverse wake-ups isn't new :p

22) Dirty corner cross-up resets. b23 in the corner (raw or as a combo ender) causes them to land "under" you, giving you a neutral jump cross-up which is impossible to tell which side it'l land on. 223, neutral jump 3 causes the same thing, although sometimes it spazzes out and pushes you out. 223 can be used to push yourself into the right corner (not the left, yay corner-specific tech), causing neutral jump and forward jump to look identical. Neutral jump will hit on the front, forward will hit behind, but to the opponent you're just neutral jumping. Again, often glitches out.

23) The standing reset from Event Horizon. Seriously, how was this not mentioned? :)

24) Wake-up options. Teleport full start-up invincibility, partial invincibility on lift start-up, etc.

25) b23 causing ground attacks (KF spikes, etc) to wiff. Also goes over slides, beats Walking Corpse's throw, pretty sure it goes over Sinetro's shackles, etc. For all intents and purposes the game treats her as off the ground during the 3, so any attacks that require a grounded opponent will wiff.

26) The option select vs Scorpion on wake-up as it makes him free to Raven on wake-up (and most characters tbh).

27) The hilarious jump 3 (needs to hit), trait (in the air, over their body), air 2 (stuffs all non-invincible wake-ups and recovers quick enough against almost all wakeups as you hit the ground instantly) into full combo setup. Saying that, I don't think I ever posted that one on the forums. It's a gimmick, but again something useful to throw out to keep opponents guessing. I think it setup an ambigious cross-up (yes, another one!) in the corner too.

28) Combo ender of normal~lift can change the spacing of the opponent depending on the normal done. Again, good for messing up your opponent.

29) f22u1 reverses sides when done on the ground (opponent is kicked over Raven's head) so can be used to get you out of a corner or just put you in a better position for the rest of the combo.

Oh god I just thought of something:

30) b23 in the corner (see part 22 above) - when they're under you, can you cross-up with f3? If so, just... lol. Cross-up, MB for armour, full combo on hit and +6 on block. If it works, credit is mine!

I think all of that + what was covered in the video is the complete sum of my Raven tech knowledge. Now I can rest...