What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn Matchup Discussion

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
I realize we are only a week in, but so far I'd say Kotal's difficult matchups (specifically in War God) are Sub-Zero and any character with a mid hitting projectile (Cybernetic Kano, Heavy Weapons Jax).

Sub Zero seems to win on every part of the screen unless we knock him down without meter. The issue is he always has meter. I know we can armor through most of his strings into clone (except f4xxclone I believe). I've been trying to use sun beam on myself if they run away to get health to draw them in, and we will see how it works.

As far as the others go, the best options I've found is to make a read with f1 or ex OH sword. The problem is that they are so fast that we can't really d4 under them on reaction and if we guess wrong we are negative.

Any tips on these would be good.

regulas

Your Emporer
I realize we are only a week in, but so far I'd say Kotal's difficult matchups (specifically in War God) are Sub-Zero and any character with a mid hitting projectile (Cybernetic Kano, Heavy Weapons Jax).

Sub Zero seems to win on every part of the screen unless we knock him down without meter. The issue is he always has meter. I know we can armor through most of his strings into clone (except f4xxclone I believe). I've been trying to use sun beam on myself if they run away to get health to draw them in, and we will see how it works.

As far as the others go, the best options I've found is to make a read with f1 or ex OH sword. The problem is that they are so fast that we can't really d4 under them on reaction and if we guess wrong we are negative.

This of any help for that match: http://testyourmight.com/threads/how-do-you-manage-to-approach-to-sub-zero.50542/#post-1670754 ????

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati

After playing a ton of matches with a friend who plays grandmaster Sub, Ice Klone seems to be the most obviuos hurdle in the matchup. There are two ways you can deal with Sub-Zero's Ice Klone when you read it. One is the obvious earthquake sword when in War God. But the one I go to most often is jump forward into j.1, which has super long range. It will catch his animation out of Ice Klone and you can convert into full combo.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
After playing a ton of matches with a friend who plays grandmaster Sub, Ice Klone seems to be the most obviuos hurdle in the matchup. There are two ways you can deal with Sub-Zero's Ice Klone when you read it. One is the obvious earthquake sword when in War God. But the one I go to most often is jump forward into j.1, which has super long range. It will catch his animation out of Ice Klone and you can convert into full combo.
I've tried that, they block and I get frozen by the clone.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
I played a offline sesh with my friend who has a really good Royal Kitana. This matchup is also a struggle but it's winnable. She has good mixups and she hits like a truck if she has meter. I noticed that Sword Shake cancels really mess her up, especially at about 1/4th away from the opponent. I used this to really condition him and it worked about 70% of the time.

Assassin is easier to deal with, I used a lot of 1,1,4 and f1 to keep her in check and baited out her run. EX overhead sword really fucks her approach up, especially when you're waking up. I feel like War God really shines in shutting down approach and making your opponents resepct your options.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Sub and Kitana are the real hassles for me. There is not much to do except be really patient and wait for a opportunity. That's a problem because I tend to get impatient.

mkl

Poopbutt.
I know it's the first month... but Grandmaster Sub is fucking brutal for Kotal. If you don't pick War God you're pretty much facing an 8:2. I'd honestly recommend everyone here to pick up a secondary for that matchup. Quan Chi or something at minimum.

Last edited:

regulas

Your Emporer
I know it's the first month... but Grandmaster Sub is fucking brutal for Kotal. If you don't pick War God you're pretty much facing an 8:2. I'd honestly recommend everyone here to pick up a secondary for that matchup. Quan Chi or something at minimum.
If you have the spacing down it's not that big of a deal for War god which is the competitive mode anyway.

Lanqu

Noob
I get faced that during last tournament. That was complete ownage. Then I picked Kano Cyber and returned back with the punishment. NRS must definitly solve that matchup issue

I haven't fought a Grandmaster Sub bet I bet it is a pain.

I'm not finding too many matchups REALLY difficult yet, except Cybernetic Kano. I think it is pretty obvious, but those knives make it really difficult for me and his b2 is as god if not better than our midscreen counterpokes. I'm not quite sure how to approach this matchup other than random armour moves at mid range to get in (and probably get breakered)

Kitana I honestly don't have much trouble with, Royal Storm is the most difficult one for me because her punishes actually hurt. I feel Assassin doesn't have the tools to make you scared of just ducking her, even if you fail to react to the dash, it doesn't do all that much to you really.

Another match I've encountered a couple of times and I have some trouble with is Tempest Kung Lao, not really sure what to actually do here. I feel like if he has a single meter, I really can't do anything. While he himself seems quite punishable, there is a lot of risk in picking the right places to come out of block. It seems for Lao, all he has to do is throw hats until he has that meter then all we can do is try to counterpoke, trying to go on the offense is just too risky lest we eat that spin into full combo.

Hassun

Noob
So, err. Pyromancer Tanya... Can anyone help me to run that Sun God gauntlet? Those arced fireballs are so hard to get around and her teleport is so damn good.
I know Kotal is bad against zoners in general but I feel like the usual block and move towards the opponent bit by bit isn't working against her at all and due to MKX's metre building system she is fully stocked nearly 100% of the time.

EDIT: Apparently there are two matchup threads. Sorry.

Last edited:

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
I have amazing problems with Sonya. I can't punish her instant dive kick. Maybe I need more training against Sonya ?