What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn How do you manage to approach to Sub Zero

Lanqu

Noob
Hey Brotal Kahns,

I think of Kotal like antirushdown character. Its known that approaching Jacqui is pain in the ass, but still a bit easier for me than getting close to subzero. He is constantly building clones, throwing snow and then throwing clone which I can't jump over... I can't use sun ray to heal me cz startup is so slow. Also I can't throw my projectile cz its damn slow and clone shields him. I can't jump over clone. Block stun on clone throw is preventing me to punish Sub. War God armor sometimes help me to get through the clone if Sub is reckless but if not I just throw away my last chance to get to SubZero. Maybe I just need to learn a pocket Jacqui for that case?

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
With War God I think Sub is actually somewhat at a disadvantage, as Kotal is able to punish ice clones with his sword special moves, especially in the corner. If Sub is corner pressuring you just mix it up with Sword Sweep and EN Overhead Sword Strike. If he's jumping in on you, EN Anti-Air Throw and full combo him. Midscreen though.. midscreen isn't quite as easy for me. I'm just mostly being super patient and waiting for the Sub player to make a mistake, Kotal has really good range and hits like a truck. His b1,4 is pretty fast and good for close up punishes too. Poke/counter poke him with d4 into Sword Shake, make him mad. That's kinda my strategy. :p

Lanqu

Noob
When I find myself cornered against him its gg for me - he doesnt jump and I can't use OH and D4 moves because they just got me into the clone. Seems like no options for KK besides his Low and NJP. But the most interesting goes mid. The interesting thing is that it seems like uppercut can be comboed if he jumps on me. But then he is again screen away from me :(

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
When I find myself cornered against him its gg for me - he doesnt jump and I can't use OH and D4 moves because they just got me into the clone. Seems like no options for KK besides his Low and NJP. But the most interesting goes mid. The interesting thing is that it seems like uppercut can be comboed if he jumps on me. But then he is again screen away from me :(
You have to make sure that it's a reversal attack, it's a legit punish. Like when he does f4,2 Ice Clone, Sword Sweep reversal attack hits and punishes Sub-Zero. The overhead is slower but can be a full combo punish if enhanced. It's not easy for Kotal, but I think War God definitely has the tools to win this match-up. :)

Lanqu

Noob
So reversals comes out as soon as blockstun ends automatically? Does system buffers my input during blockstun?

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
So reversals comes out as soon as blockstun ends automatically? Does system buffers my input during blockstun?
Yeah, although the timing can be weird sometimes, but just practice it a bit and you'll be fine.

Lanqu

Noob
Well, that means I can ex parry inside blockstrings even if there is only 1 frame gap? :) Then gonna go test all SubZero strings to find gaps... )