• Sun God

Votes: 139 34.3%
  • Blood God

Votes: 61 15.1%
  • All Equally

Votes: 35 8.6%

• Total voters

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The startup of that move is very slow. I tried use it on wake up but many times it failed. So I use only War God.
Most attacks players use on wake-up can be seen a mile away. Some, I'll just block - but using the Deflect does eliminate the high/low factor - and it has gotten me on the offensive before my opponent knew what was even happening more times than I can count. It's just timing it right and going right into the next thing without trying to read whether you got it or not.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
Most attacks players use on wake-up can be seen a mile away. Some, I'll just block - but using the Deflect does eliminate the high/low factor - and it has gotten me on the offensive before my opponent knew what was even happening more times than I can count. It's just timing it right and going right into the next thing without trying to read whether you got it or not.
Maybe I don't have good timing. I will try it but I played against very good Kotal Khan and he also couldn't do much.

GAV

Maybe I don't have good timing. I will try it but I played against very good Kotal Khan and he also couldn't do much.
I don't know who you've played, but the players I seek out are the truth. I play to win, but I want to play the guys I can't beat - again and again and again and again...until I either can - or they get bored.

Go into practice mode. Have the AI copy a sweep and a wakeup combo. Then, let the cpu sweep you and get up with the Deflect and punish. I started doing it against EB's overhead, low, mid combo - and moved through whatever else I could think of methodically - like Ermac's Low, Overhead Combo - through Sonya's mix-ups - to whatever else I could think of.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
I tried this in practice mode. I recorded Khans attack and when I was Cage I could every time interupt Kotal's attack.
If you know the d+4 is coming versus the person you're playing, then just block and punish. If his d+4 is like KK's (-10 on block) then you can punish with b+1. Or, just armor through the d+4 if you can.

Reactions: GAV

Iced_Taz

If you know the d+4 is coming versus the person you're playing, then just block and punish. If his d+4 is like KK's (-10 on block) then you can punish with b+1. Or, just armor through the d+4 if you can.
yeah but sometimes I want to use frame advantage for b122~ex sword throw. For now I play only online and online I can't punish nothing lol

Last edited:

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
yeah but sometimes I want to use frame advantage for b122~ex sword throw. For now I play only online and online I can't punish nothing lol
If you can't use the frame trap online, then you're going to have to train your opponents before using the frame trap.

EX. 1st sequence of 1,1,4 > EX throw on block (after you know they like to d+3/d+4 afterwards)... parry or backdash afterwards, then whiff punish accordingly. This gets them to wait for your defensive option after 1,1,4 > EX throw on block and will either stop them from attacking or cause them to use a much slower move that has the reach to catch you on backdash. Either way, b+1,2,2 will beat the new attack option or continue your block string.

Iced_Taz

Yesterday I played against my friend. He has some good Tanya. Parry was absolutly useless. I tried to block his pressure but the startup of parry is too slow.

GAV

Yesterday I played against my friend. He has some good Tanya. Parry was absolutly useless. I tried to block his pressure but the startup of parry is too slow.
Its very tough to use against Kobu Jutsu because Tanya has a lot of control over the timing of when her attacks will actually hit - and even when she delays, its tough to slip any sort of punishment in between.

I'll still use it on wake-up occasionally to take back momentum. Sometimes, you just have to make a read.

mkl

Poopbutt.
  • Kotal Kahn - Adjusted several regular attack collisions to hit more consistently on ducking opponents and in combos
  • Kotal Kahn - Away+FP has 9 startup frames (down from 10)
  • Kotal Kahn - Away+BP now low crushes and has 25 startup frames (down from 27)
  • Kotal Kahn - Towards+FP,BP is now -6 on block (up from -14)
  • Kotal Kahn - Air Takedown attack priority now happens on frame4 (down from 8)
  • Kotal Kahn - Mace Parry & Master Mace Parry now works against most projectiles
  • Kotal Kahn - Mace Parry now has 7 startup frames (down from 9) and Master Mace Parry now has 1 startup frame (down from 4)
  • Kotal Kahn (Blood God) - Kotal now gains meter on being hit and when blocking while Obsidian Totem is active
  • Kotal Kahn (Blood God) - Blood Offering will now add its damage to an active Blood Totem
  • Kotal Kahn (War God) - Sword Shake & Sword Quake are now a hard knockdown
  • Kotal Kahn (Sun God) - has a new move Soul Spark (Towards,Down,Away,FK) which will grant him 1 level of Sun God Power
  • Kotal Kahn (Sun God) - Increased the life gain from Soul Scorch and meter gain from Soul Burn
The universal buffs are awesome. The air takedown in particular might be very interesting now for a true anti-air.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Kotal was the only character in this game that i'd made an effort to use all three variations with, and now i'm overjoyed that they're all be quite potent with these buffs now.

I don't have to rely on War God for sticky situations anymore.

Reactions: mkl

mkl

Poopbutt.
Kotal was the only character in this game that i'd made an effort to use all three variations with, and now i'm overjoyed that they're all be quite potent with these buffs now.

I don't have to rely on War God for sticky situations anymore.
Yeah, the parry buff will actually make a huge difference in some of the more difficult zoner matchups... potentially. And 4 frame attack start up anti-air? A+ I'm satisfied for sure. They're not obviously broken buffs but they're balanced and very welcome-- fitting for the character even.

mkl

Poopbutt.
More buffs to his buff normals, fuck yeah.

I still wish that b14 is less negative on block
Yeah. It's unfortunate especially because it's only viable in War God to begin with. It's still a good string because of how it handles scaling in combos though.

Last edited:

Tigerbang

Legendary doodbro
*Fixed several jump attacks moving backwards slightly on hit
*Slightly adjusted several characters collision regions while attacking while jumping

So what does anyone think about this most likely affecting the complete and utter insanity that is Kotal Kahn's forward and backward jumping 1 ?

The reason behind my post is that have played against a Kotal Kahn-WarGod variation loyalist hundreds of times, who is a pretty dam good player using Lui Kang-DF at first (it sucked) then FerraTor-V (it really sucked) next was Jacqui-HT (Now this really, REALLY sucked). Shinnok bs was the answer ( had to get some wins yo) but the point is I hate KK's jumping 1 more than just about anyone on the planet and I just want it to die.
the end

*edit* yeh the match count is well over a thousand

Last edited:

Iced_Taz

I'm glad the sword quake is hard knockdown now. I can close my opponent in the corner and start d4 fest:

d4~db1
d4~db3
d4~db2
d4~ex db1

After hard knockdown my opponent can't use wake up :D

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
The hard knockdown buffs on War God are fucking amazing so far. Don't you love getting rewarded for playing correctly ^_^

Quick question, does anyone here utilize 4 in the neutral? It's a little wonky hit box wise but it does result in a free EX Sword Throw for more pressure and also I just find it a bit more consistent than 114 imo.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm glad the sword quake is hard knockdown now. I can close my opponent in the corner and start d4 fest:

d4~db1
d4~db3
d4~db2
d4~ex db1

After hard knockdown my opponent can't use wake up :D
Hard knockdown means they can't tech roll, it doesn't mean they can't wake up.

If you just spam sword it's ridiculously easy to armour through on reaction.