What's new

Kombat Pack 3, 4 and 5 Leak From the Guy That Leaked Aftermath

To be honest I don't know how it's possible for LEATHERFACE to have fans
I'm not a fan of the franchise myself, but Texas Chainsaw Massacre was big for it's time and does indeed have a following.

While I agree with the pont you're making, I don't know if simply not good is quite accurate. At the time Deception and Deadly Alliance were seen as good games. I mean they reviewed well. Armageddon did effectively kill any of the good will those games had though
Fair enough. I'm not knocking anyone who enjoyed those titles, mind you, however Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance through Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is considered the low point of the franchise overall; especially from a competitive standpoint.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I personally don’t mind guest characters as DLC. If they were base roster, that would be irritating.
I’m old enough to remember when DLC wasn’t an option available to enhance games after launch, so whatever a company wants to sell me after the fact is just bonus. I either want it or I don’t.
Although I like your line of thinking and the spirit behind your message, the sad fact of the matter is DLC is hardly an "addition" to games anymore. Like you said, when we were kids, a game was developed, shipped, and that was it; however, I don't think you will deny that many (if not most) games nowadays are created with DLC in mind. To elaborate, I mean that time, funding, and content is purposefully set aside in order to create DLC to sell at a later date, and as a result, the DLC we get is typically not content made to enhance the base game, but content purposefully delayed in order to further distance the consumer from their wallet.

If you agree in some way with the above, then you should be critical (if not EXTRA critical) of any content sold post-launch. I believe a healthy mental practice for the contemporary video game consumer is to look at a complete post-dlc game, then look at the price of the game plus the cost of all the DLC, and finally ask if the end product is worth the purchase. For example, is the base MK11 + season 1 DLC + Aftermath + season 2 DLC worth whatever that total sum may be? If the answer is "No", then you can opt out of DLC you don't like in order to reduce the price, but rather than this being an example of deciding not to purchase extra content, what you're really doing is just choosing to buy an incomplete version of the game for a slightly cheaper price.

Anyway, I know it's an ancient meme and you can find a hundred different versions of it, but I feel it's more relevant than ever today, and still encapsulates the DLC market, and the reality behind it.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Although I like your line of thinking and the spirit behind your message, the sad fact of the matter is DLC is hardly an "addition" to games anymore. Like you said, when we were kids, a game was developed, shipped, and that was it; however, I don't think you will deny that many (if not most) games nowadays are created with DLC in mind. To elaborate, I mean that time, funding, and content is purposefully set aside in order to create DLC to sell at a later date, and as a result, the DLC we get is typically not content made to enhance the base game, but content purposefully delayed in order to further distance the consumer from their wallet.

If you agree in some way with the above, then you should be critical (if not EXTRA critical) of any content sold post-launch. I believe a healthy mental practice for the contemporary video game consumer is to look at a complete post-dlc game, then look at the price of the game plus the cost of all the DLC, and finally ask if the end product is worth the purchase. For example, is the base MK11 + season 1 DLC + Aftermath + season 2 DLC worth whatever that total sum may be? If the answer is "No", then you can opt out of DLC you don't like in order to reduce the price, but rather than this being an example of deciding not to purchase extra content, what you're really doing is just choosing to buy an incomplete version of the game for a slightly cheaper price.

Anyway, I know it's an ancient meme and you can find a hundred different versions of it, but I feel it's more relevant than ever today, and still encapsulates the DLC market, and the reality behind it.

View attachment 18242
It’s more a matter of perspective.
I base my purchase solely on what is available at launch.
If the game has the elements I’m looking for at launch, then it’s a worthy purchase - just like it was twenty years ago.
I find it highly hypocritical that many people bitch about “incomplete games” or “predatory DLC”, but in the same breath are always asking for MORE. Pining for the days when games were released finished & complete, but also begging for “one more patch, one more pack”.
It’s embarrassing, tbh.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
It’s more a matter of perspective.
I base my purchase solely on what is available at launch.
If the game has the elements I’m looking for at launch, then it’s a worthy purchase - just like it was twenty years ago.
I find it highly hypocritical that many people bitch about “incomplete games” or “predatory DLC”, but in the same breath are always asking for MORE. Pining for the days when games were released finished & complete, but also begging for “one more patch, one more pack”.
It’s embarrassing, tbh.
Although I can appreciate your positivity, I believe in the moderation of all things, and that if left unmoderated, a positive perspective can easily turn into willful ignorance. My final thoughts on the subject are that the ability to release DLC is absolutely amazing; however, it is all too often used to take advantage of people rather than help them. Also, one should be critical and vocal of a company's use of DLC in order to foster a better, more transparent relationship that benefits both consumer and producer.

As far as your second point, I generally agree, and it's part of why I have respect for games like Sekiro and God of War (2018) that released as complete games with virtually no added content in the current era. The decision to drop a game, and mostly leave it as is is (to me) bold and refreshing.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I'm not a fan of the franchise myself, but Texas Chainsaw Massacre was big for it's time and does indeed have a following.
I know. I mean, I like some of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies a lot. But I never saw Leatherface as a cool horror villain like Freddy Krueger or Jason because he reminds me too much of Ed Gein, and Leatherface himself is a mentally ill person who's barely aware of what he's doing. Maybe it's just my personal interpretation, mostly from the original movie which in my opinion is the best one. I know that in some of the sequels he was way more cartoony but that's why I think those movies are not as good as the original.

He's different from Freddy and Jason who are much more self aware with their villain antics, and humour to some extent. He's also very different from Ash Williams, the Predator and the Alien, for obvious reasons.
I never thought of Leatherface as a character to cheer or celebrate. But that's just me.

I always saw Freddy as goofy more than cool, especially by 3-4-5-6. In fact it was so prevalent that when they tried to turn him into a serious character with New Nightmare and the boring Remake it didn't really stick.

I'm sure the suits that let NRS use Freddy for MK9 insisted it needed to be the remake version but it really should have been the original.

I believe a healthy mental practice for the contemporary video game consumer is to look at a complete post-dlc game, then look at the price of the game plus the cost of all the DLC, and finally ask if the end product is worth the purchase.
I often wait for a "Game of the Year" or "Complete Edition" of a game before buying; I rarely buy at launch anymore. In fact, the last game I bought at launch was Mortal Kombat 11: Premium Edition. I think Mortal Kombat X was the one before that. Prior to that it might have been Halo 4: Limited Edition.

The amount of copies sold and the popularity of the content has absolutely zero relation to its quality, and I will argue that an OVERABUNDANCE of guests detracts from the overall consistency and quality of a game. I have little issue with an appropriate guest or two to draw in new players and make a little extra money, but there does come a point where I draw a line. I have stuck with Mortal Kombat all my life because of its enjoyable story and fantastic characters who have stood the test of time and become immortal cultural icons, not because of fleeting marketing gimmicks designed to sell season passes.
Well if NRS didn't turn the majority of the game into some shady mobile loot box system and actually focused more on the quality of the game, guest characters wouldn't even be necessary just for the sake of expanding it. I remember being so immersed into MK9, I didn't even care much about wanting more guests/original characters. And it only had what, 4 DLC fighters? Nice additions, but it had little impact for the game overall.

It also doesn't help much that warner bros wants MK to become some comic book multiverse property instead of just being its own identity. Gone the days where the franchise was revolved around martial arts with a gritty/horror tone and now it's basically evolved into super heroes now. I feel like MK9 got very lucky when they managed to make it centered around the classic titles.

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob

View attachment 18242
Whilst I can appreciate the nostalgic message behind your post, I genuinely think it's a little off the mark, or indeed completely inaccurate when it comes to Mortal Kombat as a series. Yes the 1999 version of the meme may be representative of other games back then, but it's not representative of how MK has ever been.

The "Mortal Kombat 3 Trilogy" is especially guilty of coming out the gate at full price with each borderline "DLC" (had it been a thing at the time) revision.

Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive and PS1 in 1995? $60 (let's also not forget just how expensive 16bit cartridges were, especially for their time and adjusted for inflation).

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn in 1996 with 7 new fighters (though let's be honest, two new character models and a bunch of palette swaps and you actually lost some of MK3's content on the 16bits), some gameplay balances and a couple of new arenas? $60.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy on PS1/N64 (since it's expected you had finally moved on by this point) in 1996, with some poorly added, downgraded arenas from the classic games, a bunch of bolted on extra characters that lacked the finesse of animation in the classic titles they were from and a multitude of terrible fatalities? $50. Probably $60 on N64.

If you were with MK3 for every version, that's $170 on an already half-assed game that for me lacked the professionalism, imagination and visionary artistic design of MKs 1 & 2.

There was no money-off UMK3 if you already owned MK3 in any format. There was no cash-back if you owned MKs 1, 2, 3, or UMK3 and bought Trilogy (which I did).

MK4 was a $50 product on PS1, PC and N64. MK Gold was an its own $50 product on Dreamcast irrespective of whether you owned MK4 on any other format (which I did).

There was no discount on MK Armageddon if you owned Deadly Alliance and/or Deception, even though it was a lazy-as-fuck compilation game from those titles that made Trilogy look like a gift of pure love and appreciation to the fans by comparison. Hell we didn't even get real fatalities and Motaro became a regular man with hairy pants on!

I much prefer to have DLC as we have it now than to have to buy MK11, MK11 Aftermath and Ultimate MK11 as three separate games in their own right like we would have had to 15-25 years ago.

Yes there are some, or indeed many games out there, that were loving to their fanbase when it came to add-ons, but MK has never ever been that. I say that as a realist however, not as someone insulting Mortal Kombat. I've loved it since I was 10, I turn 40 in 6 months, I'm not being unappreciative for this franchise and what it's given us, I'm just being realistic and honest in the packages the series has given us so far and to be honest, the MK11 DLC approach is a hell of a lot better than what we got in the old school days of buying the same game with minor updates on multiple systems at full price.

NRS can I please give you money for some more MK11 content now (sigh... it's not going to happen though is it)? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Art Lean Good memory on Mortal Kombat 3 and its updates for the home ports.

I had a Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and I bought Mortal Kombat 3 at launch and enjoyed it, but I couldn't bring myself to buy Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 despite having several of my favourite characters return.

Actually, it was how this game was handled that started my fade out from the franchise and fighting games at the time. It felt to me that they were going in the Street Fighter II direction of re-releasing the same game with a few additions/updates over and over as a cash grab, and that didn't sit well with me, so I passed.

I started getting into shooters in '96 as well, and shifted to PC gaming for that.

Sadly, I missed out on Killer Instinct back in 1995. Something I regret now.

KCJ506

Noob
Whilst I can appreciate the nostalgic message behind your post, I genuinely think it's a little off the mark, or indeed completely inaccurate when it comes to Mortal Kombat as a series. Yes the 1999 version of the meme may be representative of other games back then, but it's not representative of how MK has ever been.

The "Mortal Kombat 3 Trilogy" is especially guilty of coming out the gate at full price with each borderline "DLC" (had it been a thing at the time) revision.

Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive in 1995? $60 (let's also not forget just how expensive 16bit cartridges were, especially for their time and adjusted for inflation)

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES, PS1 and Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn in 1996 with 7 new fighters (though let's be honest, two new character models and a bunch of palette swaps and you actually lost some of MK3's content on the 16bits), some gameplay balances and a couple of new arenas? $60.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy on PS1/N64 (since it's expected you had finally moved on by this point) in 1996, with some poorly added, downgraded arenas from the classic games, a bunch of bolted on extra characters that lacked the finesse of animation in the classic titles they were from and a multitude of terrible fatalities? $50

If you were with MK3 for every version, that's $170 on an already half-assed game that for me lacked the professionalism, imagination and visionary artistic design of MKs 1 & 2.

There was no money-off UMK3 if you owned MK3. There was no cash-back if you owned MKs 1, 2, 3, or UMK3 and bought Trilogy (which I did).

MK4 was a $50 product on PS1, PC and N64. MK Gold was a $50 product on Dreamcast irrespective of whether you owned MK4 on any other format (which I did).

There was no discount on MK Armageddon if you owned Deadly Alliance and/or Deception, even though it was a lazy-as-fuck compilation game from those titles that made Trilogy look like a gift of pure love and appreciation to the fans by comparison.

I much prefer to have DLC as we have it now than to have to buy MK11, MK11 Aftermath and Ultimate MK11 as three separate games in their own right like we would have had to 15-25 years ago.

Yes there are some, or indeed many games out there, that were loving to their fanbase when it came to add-ons, but MK has never ever been that. I say that as a realist however, not as someone insulting Mortal Kombat. I've loved it since I was 10, I turn 40 in 6 months, I'm not being unappreciative for this franchise and what it's given us, I'm just being realistic and honest in the packages the series has given us so far and to be honest, the MK11 DLC approach is a hell of a lot better than what we got in the old school days of buying the same game with minor updates on multiple systems at full price.

NRS can I please give you money for some more MK11 content now (sigh... it's not going to happen though is it)? :rolleyes:
That's why I'll never understand whenever DLC or some sort of expansion pack is announced, there's almost always someone going on about the game being "unfinished" and ranting and raving about the "good old days". Like you mentioned there was MK3/UMK3/MKT and MK4/MKG. And also how many versions of Street Fighter 2 were there? Four or five right? And this didn't apply to just fighting games. For example Sonic 3 & Knuckles. This was how Sega initially wanted to release it, but due to time restraints, they were released separately. So if players wanted to play an actual complete game, they'd have to pay $50 for Sonic 3 and then another $50 for Sonic & Knuckles.

The "good old days" never existed, because things weren't much different back then. If DLC didn't exist, we'd just be back to what happened in the past. The game will release with a 20 something character roster and then about a year later we'd get an updated version with the DLC characters and maybe some game tweaks. Either that or the DLC characters wouldn't be in the game at all.

Funny thing is, even though Smash Ultimate has every character that was in the previous games, it has season passes and still another character or two to add. Yet I've never come across anyone complaining about it being released "unfinished".

Well if NRS wouldn't turn the majority of the game into some shady mobile loot box system and actually focused more on the quality of the game, guest characters wouldn't even be necessary just for the sake of expanding it. I remember being so immersed into MK9, I didn't even care much about wanting more guests/original characters. And it only had what, 4 DLC fighters? Nice additions, but it had little impact for the game overall.

It also doesn't help much that warner bros wants MK to become some comic book multiverse property instead of just being its own identity. Gone the days where the franchise was revolved around martial arts with a gritty/horror tone and now it's basically evolved into super heroes now. I feel like MK9 got very lucky when they managed to make it centered around the classic titles.
I remember wanting the classic MK2 and MK3 ninjas/female ninjas to be in the console instead of locked off to the ugly vita version.

I'm just glad they finally state it out loud.

Once the hype starts for their next game, just remember that nothing will get any serious balance attention, and any variety abilities will remain just as unusable as they are on day one. Accept what the game is on release, and that the top tiers will remain set in stone, and you will be happier.

After all, NRS will be working on their next-next game by then, anyway.