What's new

Kombat Pack 3, 4 and 5 Leak From the Guy That Leaked Aftermath

Art Lean

Noob
100%. I think the uninspired designs we saw not only for Reptile but most characters in MK4, esp the new ones, are a good indicator of Tobias's diminished or strained role at Midway. As he either lost inspiration or influence, the MK franchise took a nosedive with each release beginning with MK4. 3D gameplay mechanics aside, the new characters and new takes on existing ones suffered overall, leading to many forgettable installments that only appealed to the most hardcore of lore fans. On top of that , MK no longer had a monopoly on gore, and gore was a gimmick that could not sustain the franchise.

I would say the series has yet to introduce an interesting new character since MK4, except maybe Havik. I think NRS is trying to undo some of that by revisiting less popular characters like Tanya, Fujin, Frost, and Bo Rai Cho - but it's hard to polish a turd. Most franchises can only introduce so many iconic characters (be it Simpsons, Ninja Turtles, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.). The pressure to reinvent each character with each new game seems exhausting on the studio, and I don't think fans take well to it either.

As "boring" as it may be, sometimes it's best to just update the hits and let them continue to live on in the present, which is why I think Reptile needs to be dialed back down to his ninja origins (at least as far as appearance and presentation).
I totally agree and it's why Ashrah stands out so much to me; she's so embedded in Asian mythology I think she's utterly enchanting, as I've mentioned before she reminds me of something from the classic Hong Kong film trilogy A Chinese Ghost Story, but she's only been in one game (I struggle to consider Armageddon a fully fledged title since it's basically MK Trilogy 3D) and feel there's so much to mine from her potential as a Shinto demon hunter.

In regards to Reptile, the MK2 live action advert which was the first time they married the reptilian skin to the ninja appearance and he looked beyond incredible. He was dialled back visually in the 1995 movie to be like Sub Zero and Scorpion again, but his fight with Liu was probably the defining fight of the film. A magnificent marriage of music and action choreography set in a fusion of The Wastelands and The Tower MK2 arenas.

Reptile looks fantastic in MK11 as a Shang morph (he's my Kombat Kard), he has that powerful aura of a hidden warrior, and also equally fantastic as the Scorpion KL skin (though wish he didn't have the pearly white teeth, but is a nice call-back to his MK2 advert form). He looks deadly and vicious again; a disguised humanoid assassin trained in the lethal martial arts of ninjutsu but hiding a truly repulsive secret. It's amazing how the cold cruel eyes of him in human form as a Shang morph are a thousand times more powerful and scary than all the teeth and tongues and horns and tails and scales they tried slapping on him from MK4 through to MKX. Knowing the face is a facade just seems all the more horrifying, like the classic series of V or a vile doppelgänger to Scorpion. The more the monster is hidden, the scarier he becomes. The more they showed, the more he became a leathery Brooklyn Brawler.

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
This to me is prime Reptile (from MK2 commercial). Reptilian ninja mask, reptilian skin - still in humanoid/ninja form.

To pull this off, his face cannot look like MKDA/MK2 ending, as his snout/nose protrudes too far, which couldn't be covered by his mask. So something with a flattened snout (as seen in his Sideshow Collectibles statues) makes the most amount of sense when completely unmasked:

Cosmetics aside, not a huge fan of when his posture goes too far down the cartoonish reptile rabit hole. In MK9, his super crouched/hunched posture negated the somewhat return to ninja form, and I'd still say his mask/face were far too reptilian/birdlike in MK9 and MKX. Just give us MK2/MK3 Reptile, NRS - it's been, what, 25 years since we've seen Reptile in his original form?
How on earth did I miss this post??? :eek: I honestly replied without ever seeing this message yet we share the exact same opinion on him and I literally just ended up totally repeating you haha. However the other thing you mentioned about his posture is also spot-on. When he's all hunched he exudes a real diminutive persona; small, weak, unconfident, submissive, he feels so unthreatening and comes across as a pure snivelling lackie. The 95 movie injected him with some reptilian body-language yet it was done with the speed, sharpness of posture angles, hand gestures and sound design that gave him the viciousness and striking power of a cobra or velociraptor, not the timidness of a gecko which is sadly how I feel he comes across in every game since MK4.

Last edited:
How on earth did I miss this post??? :eek: I honestly replied without ever seeing this message yet we share the exact same opinion on him and I literally just ended up totally repeating you haha. However the other thing you mentioned about his posture is also spot-on. When he's all hunched he exudes a real diminutive persona; small, weak, unconfident, submissive, he feels so unthreatening and comes across as a pure snivelling lackie. The 95 movie injected him with some reptilian body-language yet it was done with the speed, sharpness of posture angles, hand gestures and sound design that gave him the viciousness and striking power of a cobra or velociraptor, not the timidness of a gecko which is sadly how I feel he comes across in every game since MK4.
Hahah If I didn't know better, I would think we were alt accounts :p Before someone tells us to get a room at the Reptile Inn off Route 5, let me say you nailed the issue with the hunched posture - too diminutive, not threatening, and kills the mystery/intrigue of the character. I also love how he was portrayed in the MK movie despite how brief it was. I find it interesting that they decided to include his Movie statue form in the Krypt, which didn't really include any other movie references. Who knows - could be a sign of things to come ;)

After giving further thought to your previous post above, I agree Ashrah has some big potential. I love her white motif and her overall "pure" presentation. I admittedly do not know much about the character, but could see NRS really developing her, esp if Waddles is to be believed!

As to Reptile's MK11 appearance so far, I could not agree more and that applies to all of the Shang morphs - they are PERFECTLY portrayed. I'm still a bit disappointed that the Shang morph attire is not available for Rain as a full fledged character. His retro attire/mask are decent, but something looks off about the mask. @Art Lean

Art Lean

Noob
Hahah If I didn't know better, I would think we were alt accounts :p Before someone tells us to get a room at the Reptile Inn off Route 5, let me say you nailed the issue with the hunched posture - too diminutive, not threatening, and kills the mystery/intrigue of the character. I also love how he was portrayed in the MK movie despite how brief it was. I find it interesting that they decided to include his Movie statue form in the Krypt, which didn't really include any other movie references. Who knows - could be a sign of things to come ;)

After giving further thought to your previous post above, I agree Ashrah has some big potential. I love her white motif and her overall "pure" presentation. I admittedly do not know much about the character, but could see NRS really developing her, esp if Waddles is to be believed!

As to Reptile's MK11 appearance so far, I could not agree more and that applies to all of the Shang morphs - they are PERFECTLY portrayed. I'm still a bit disappointed that the Shang morph attire is not available for Rain as a full fledged character. His retro attire/mask are decent, but something looks off about the mask. @Art Lean
See this is what Ashrah reminds me of (though obviously its imagery of its female spectres in white robes is heavily part of Asian mythology across Chinese and Japanese religions regardless):

In the above, 1987's A Chinese Ghost Story, a young man stays the night at a haunted temple (he's the tax man and not wanted in town), where he meets a beautiful woman he falls for. It turns out that she and her sister are demons who have to seduce and murder men for an elder demon to devour. The girl he falls for hates killing but she cannot leave her fate and is being forced to marry the devil in a few days. Whilst at the temple, a demon hunting swordsman turns up who tries to kill them all, but the young tax man urges him to help save the girl from her demonic fate.

So with all the white flowing robes and self-loathing of being a demon, she reminds me a lot of Ashrah, whilst also being combined with the sword carrying demon hunter character, it's like the two characters merged into one (and there's some similarities to Kitana and Mileena in the relationship between the sisters).

I first saw that movie when I was about 15 and it just enraptured me with its imagination, music and atmosphere, it also introduced me to Hong Kong cinema (and I do believe if memory serves it was one of the first films to ever pioneer all that wire-work for the flying martial arts sequences). So when a character who looks like she belonged in that movie rolled right up in Deception, at a time when MK was being all a bit stupid and 'numetal', she was one of those perfect little creations that made me go "now that's pure classic Mortal Kombat"... but then she was gone again and never came back, sigh (I don't count Armageddon as a return I mentioned before).

But back to our Reptile love fest haha, yes I do wish we could get the leather masks that Shang has (only Scorpion has them in his gear selection and it annoys the hell out of me). The models are in the game for literally ALL the ninjas, why can't they be released as gear pieces? Surely they could knock that out in a lunchtime? On that note, I wish they could issue out the masks from the 95 MK movie (there's only so many ways you can redesign a menpo mask, surely using those is both fan-pleasing and saves a lot of effort in coming up with a new idea?).

And totally agree with Rain's mask, I'm not a fan of those plastic airsoft masks they gave the old school ninja skins, they all look cheap and nasty and don't even match the shape of the MK2 airsoft mask which elevated up the jawline and had small vents, harsh angles and rested over the side of the hood, not under it. I've got Rain using his default mask ('Outworld Rebel') with his ninja skin since I just like its simplicity (but still want that Shang style mask, especially when you perform his fatality where the other ninjas appear and they're wearing those leather masks for the ensemble shot!!).

You can see how different the shaping is below:

@Art Lean Oh man, so many good points. Regarding the masks, you have an amazing way of observing and articulating details and differences. I could never put quite my finger on why the klassic masks look off in the game, but I think you nailed it. I also have an issue with Noob's retro look - his head is way too round, he looks like a grape or blueberry lol. Also not a fan of how Sub's hood fits his head, looks too baggy/saggy. Hopefully the MK3 masks will make it into the game. And I really think the male ninjas should all share the same pool of masks, especially the more klassic looking ones. Also how is there not an MK1 klassic mask?! The leahter one is close, but those strips down the middle are pure fiction. And since I'm nitpicking, the fabric hanging from the torso should extend a bit further down, right now it's too short. And yeah Rain's mask's vents look like a pig snout lmao

Totally agree MK movie masks should make it in. I can only imagine they're saving them for a follow-up movie pack, since it's such an easy win and ninjas were suspiciously missing from the first pack and require no additional talent/likeness rights - just attire/gear.

As for Ashrah, love the way you described her and MKDA/MKD being the "nu metal" era of MK lmao. Really makes me appreciate her character more and agree she came from a different era of MK that's more Tobias inspired. And agree her MKA inclusion does not count! I also liked Li Mei even if she was a bit of a female Liu Kang in MKDA, and her redux in MKD was interesting. I cannot get behind her MKX/Special Forces nonsense though lol

Art Lean

Noob
@Art Lean Oh man, so many good points. Regarding the masks, you have an amazing way of observing and articulating details and differences. I could never put quite my finger on why the klassic masks look off in the game, but I think you nailed it. I also have an issue with Noob's retro look - his head is way too round, he looks like a grape or blueberry lol. Also not a fan of how Sub's hood fits his head, looks too baggy/saggy. Hopefully the MK3 masks will make it into the game. And I really think the male ninjas should all share the same pool of masks, especially the more klassic looking ones. Also how is there not an MK1 klassic mask?! The leahter one is close, but those strips down the middle are pure fiction. And since I'm nitpicking, the fabric hanging from the torso should extend a bit further down, right now it's too short. And yeah Rain's mask's vents look like a pig snout lmao
Maybe it's just me, but I think the real issue is the harsh clashing of materials, which creates a real awkward style that just looks completely at odds with itself.

So they have the classic black Japanese gi visible beneath the beautifully stitched quilted ninja drapes, traditional two-toed tabi footwear, then they have these old worn leather hoods and ornate leather armbands, giving a very natural and traditional martial arts visage to them all. But then you've got the cheesy hockey pads, which yes I concede were in MK2, but you have to take into account the limitations of the graphics back then and it was all about how did they appear at a distance as a cut-out image of a live actor; they needed bold colours and visually striking elements, there was a reason the MK movie went with simple leather drapes and metal masks instead to give them a more classy appearance (hell both Shao Kahn and Baraka got away with literally wearing sneakers in MK2).

But then to cap it off, you have round tacky-looking plastic airsoft masks which look like they were bought from a discount sporting goods store and it all just looks terrible together, especially under the scrutiny of such gorgeous graphics that can replicate the appearance of real materials so incredibly. The hockey pads are at least passable since they're on the legs whilst the arm guards are black (though Rain's additional shin pad mounted on his arm looks hideous, why isn't there a 'no-gear' option for that like with Kung Lao's bracers?), but the ugly plastic masks just look completely at odds with the traditional ninjutsu attire they're primarily wearing. The fact that they're not even the original MK2 masks and vary from character to character just adds insult to injury. So I myself have them all with basically the most basic mask that looks in-character but both simple yet traditional. My gear load-outs for masks with those skins are (photos below):
  • Scorpion has 'Furious Akuma'
  • Reptile (KL Scorpion) has 'Burning Shirai Ryu'
  • Sub Zero has 'Cyromancer's Calling' (and why does he wear a white turtle-neck with the dark blue drapes, Shang's morph doesn't???)
  • Frost has 'Lost Cause', although she has more simple cloth masks, I found them too intricately patterned (thereby clashing with the quilt of the drapes) so went with something to kind of match Sub Zero's mix of vulcanised rubber and mesh weave of 'Cyromancer's Calling'
  • Noob has 'Xuanwu' since I love the blood-stained curse of Quan Chi on the scalp of his MK9 mask along with the weathering to make it look like a truly tainted ninja warrior
  • Rain (in the dark purple variant Storm Water, since I think it looks classier and makes the arm shield look less cheesy) has the default 'Outworld Rebel'
They gave all the MK2 and UMK3 ninja girls uniform cloth masks to match the attire, why can't we get the Shang-morph masks as a pack too to match the males (and Frost) together?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the pics, @Art Lean, and for the in-depth analysis! I surprisingly like Rain's new mask with his retro attire, and really dig that Reptile mask you gave Scorpion - really fits. The Noob MK9 mask is perfect, and is prob my fav piece of gear, but I do wish there were a hooded option to match his MK9 look. For that matter, I wish he had the rest of his MK9 attire. I really liked the kung-fu looking alts they gave Sub and Noob in MK9 - it would be nice if those had made it into the game. Too many of Noob's attires look too medieval or Injustice-inspired. The medieval ones aren't that bad, but I don't really care for the material hanging around his posterior and legs, that looks like a skirt when moving. Also a lot of Noob's attires are hard to differentiate, which is a problem shared by many of the skins in MK11.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
MORTAL KOMBAT: 5 NEW REVEALS OF CHARACTERS COMING TO WB ANIMATED FILM: EXCLUSIVE
Posted by Sean McLaughlin | Jan 13, 2021 | Exclusives, Movies, Video Games | 0
Mortal Kombat: 5 New Reveals of Characters Coming To WB Animated Film: Exclusive

Warner Brothers is gearing up for the release of its Mortal Kombat live-action film, set to hit theaters and HBO Max simultaneously on April 16th. However, The Illuminerdi has learned that this may not be the only Mortal Kombat project in the works!
We have been informed that Warner Brothers is developing an animated project, tentatively titled, Mortal Kombat 3.
Now could this animated feature be connected to the new cinematic universe likely starting with the James Wan produced film coming this Spring, or is it a standalone project?
Mortal Kombat: 5 New Reveals of Characters Coming To WB Animated Film: Exclusive - The Illuminerdi
Will there be an interconnected animated and live-action Mortal Kombat-verse?NEW CHARACTERS COMING TO ANIMATED MORTAL KOMBAT FILM
The Illuminerdi also has a breakdown of five key roles for this animated Mortal Kombat project currently in early development. Since this project is animated, the casting call gives a clear description of what vocal type Warner Brothers is seeking for each role:
Kobra – Male – (25-35) – Fiery street fighter, standing voice is raspy.
Kira– Female – (25-35) Troublesome, sadistic, cruel but level-headed. Mid to low register with scratchy and textured voice.
Tremor – Male – (30-40) Looking for an African American voice to sound . Bold, weighty, strong voice, intimidating and burly.
Kuai Liang – Male – (60-70’s) – Asian Male. A warrior who is now a pacifist. Seasoned, strong, and powerful voice.
Kabal – Male – Ninja with a scarred face, immovable bad-ass, mid to low register.
Obviously story details are sparse to non-existent, but from the breakdown, one could derive that the story may follow an older Sub-Zero, mentoring Kobra against Tremor. Both Sub-Zero and Kabal are set to be in the live-action Mortal Kombat film coming this year, so if this has any connectivity to that project, it will have to be set in the far future, as Kuai Liang/Sub-Zero is considerably older in this iteration.
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Mortal Kombat
What do you guys think? Are you excited to see Mortal Kombat being expanded into animation? Do you think it is a part of a larger cross-media universe? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section or over on our social media!
KEEP READING: LUCASFILM SIZZLE REEL TEASES NEW ERA OF STAR WARS GAMES

StormGoddess

UMK11 Upcoming Character Info
HAVIK
Gear: Helmet, Morning Star, Talisman
Tidbit: Can rip off flesh for boosts. Twists and contorts his limbs during kombat.

• SMOKE
Gear: Mask, Kunai, Enenra
Tidbit: Teleport heaven just like MK9. Can summon an Enenra to assist in attacks.

• SAREENA
Gear: Tattoos, Kama, Nether Stone
TIdbit: One of the best zoner characters in the game. Can use a Nether Stone to grant demonic abilities.

• TAKEDA
Gear: Mask, Whips, Sash
Tidbit: Borrows a shit ton from Kenshi, even uses his sword and telekinesis moves. Whips are even better than in MKX.

• REPTILE
Gear: Mask, Bracers, Kirahashi
Tidbit: Acid, invisibility and tongue attacks all back. Look borrows heavily from spin-off Shaolin Monks.

• ASHRAH
Gear: Hat, Bracelets, Kriss
Tidbit: Like Sindel, huge story retcon - Now an centuries old Japanese warrior woman killed and turned Quan Chi slave in Netherrealm until she is possessed by an ancient weapon. Biggest departure from original appearance. Nimble and fast like Tanya in MKX.

• DEATHSTROKE
Gear: Mask, Broadsword, Rifle
Tidbit: Plays a lot like Kenshi in MKX meets Deadshot in Injustice 2 meets Deathstroke in Injustice 1.

• ASH WILLIAMS
Gear- Boomstick, Chainsaw, Bandolier
Tidbit: Thank God he's in. Plays exactly like he should, little bit of Leatherface in MKX meets Quan Chi. Can use the book of spells to cast shit and summon zombies.

Don't ask how I got this info, its correct and you'll see so for yourselves in March this year.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
UMK11 Upcoming Character Info
HAVIK
Gear: Helmet, Morning Star, Talisman
Tidbit: Can rip off flesh for boosts. Twists and contorts his limbs during kombat.

• SMOKE
Gear: Mask, Kunai, Enenra
Tidbit: Teleport heaven just like MK9. Can summon an Enenra to assist in attacks.

• SAREENA
Gear: Tattoos, Kama, Nether Stone
TIdbit: One of the best zoner characters in the game. Can use a Nether Stone to grant demonic abilities.

• TAKEDA
Gear: Mask, Whips, Sash
Tidbit: Borrows a shit ton from Kenshi, even uses his sword and telekinesis moves. Whips are even better than in MKX.

• REPTILE
Gear: Mask, Bracers, Kirahashi
Tidbit: Acid, invisibility and tongue attacks all back. Look borrows heavily from spin-off Shaolin Monks.

• ASHRAH
Gear: Hat, Bracelets, Kriss
Tidbit: Like Sindel, huge story retcon - Now an centuries old Japanese warrior woman killed and turned Quan Chi slave in Netherrealm until she is possessed by an ancient weapon. Biggest departure from original appearance. Nimble and fast like Tanya in MKX.

• DEATHSTROKE
Gear: Mask, Broadsword, Rifle
Tidbit: Plays a lot like Kenshi in MKX meets Deadshot in Injustice 2 meets Deathstroke in Injustice 1.

• ASH WILLIAMS
Gear- Boomstick, Chainsaw, Bandolier
Tidbit: Thank God he's in. Plays exactly like he should, little bit of Leatherface in MKX meets Quan Chi. Can use the book of spells to cast shit and summon zombies.

Don't ask how I got this info, its correct and you'll see so for yourselves in March this year.

You really do just post any type of leak in here lmao.
"Don't ask questions, fuck you, by the time its march you'll forget about me and I'll already have gotten my little attention"

no thank you

StormGoddess

You really do just post any type of leak in here lmao.
"Don't ask questions, fuck you, by the time its march you'll forget about me and I'll already have gotten my little attention"

no thank you
you can always put me on ignore and won't have to worry about any post from me - Problem solved!
:)