What's new

Kombat League points penalty is really messed up - should it be changed?

Should points penalty be changed in Kombat League?

• Yes, you shouldn't lose more than double of what you play for (e.g. +10/-20, +15/-30)

Votes: 67 95.7%
  • No, I'm okay to lose -100, -91, -87 every time I'm matched with a lower ranked player

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Kinda unfair that i had to play vs a demigod when i only played like 5 games and was still aprentice. Facing a guy who hasnt played yet in KL but has same skill level or higher but one winning 150 and other losing 150 should be changed. You should only be matched against ppl that are only 1 tier higher or lower should be alot more fair.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
Who cares about points when we are forced to play WIFIwariors? its unplayable and the points are not that important in comparison to this.

Tekken allow you fight the same person over and over again to farm points can u even call that a system lol.
there's absolutely nothing telling you to fight this person over and over. you farm then you're probably a fraud but there are a lot of ranks in tekken and there are good players. other fighting games have implemented it. mk could implement that system right now and then what?

It's not the points. You absolutely should be beating people ranked below you, just like in any other open-league system.

The issue is that they just shouldn't fully reset everyone to the bottom rank every season. @FonicSox nailed it.

The thing is, a ranked league system is not supposed to be a grind. It's supposed to just tell you were you stand, and match you with people around the same level.

I guess they didn't want to just hand people rewards for starting at a certain rank, but starting everyone from 0 each time really screws with an Elo-style system imo.
agree except beating people ranked below you. because of the way the system works that's almost never true. because I only wanted the kung lao skin I don't play anymore so I've been point decayed. i could make god status anytime i wanted but here I am stuck at the low ranks bullying other low ranks

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I ran into IrishMantis today, who was ranked lower than me. I am not a pro player

Clearly though, he was ranked lower than me, so I am better than him and should have won.

Smh
You didn’t finish reading my post before replying ;)

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I ran into IrishMantis today, who was ranked lower than me. I am not a pro player

Clearly though, he was ranked lower than me, so I am better than him and should have won.

Smh
Well I got rank up first

Can’t just appear in the rank I want, trust me I would if I could, but we all have to go through the grind

Edit: read again I see you where using it as example to Crimson

Nvm

I do wish they have some sort of placement Games like other ranked games so can place you at a more suitable rank at the start

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
KL is broken in many ways from glitches so cheaters dodge loses/points to the way the system is. Every win you should gain 50 to 100 points to you know actually rank up once you hit GM onward, don't care what anyone says. The way it is now it's beyond a grind to rank up. I've beaten Gods and Elder Gods who weren't that dominant so I can only imagine how they got that high hmmm.

The decay system is stupid imo, but at least they increased it to 3 days. Still, if someone is on vacation or busy with life I don't like being penalized.

You should lose no more than 5-10 points per lose. And if you just ranked up you should lose nothing for at least 2 sets in a row once you've reached a new level.

Also, has NRS fixed the Forfeit glitch for every platform or is it just still PS4? I haven't run into people doing it anymore but I have still run into pullers, lag switchers and people who somehow cause for a "desync" then I lose points...this needs to be fixed seriously.

Had a string of 5 games last week in a row where they seemed smurf and dropped me over 500 pts, in five games. In between there were some 20 and 30 pt gains. Total trainwreck this system is.

It would be a fine system if there was more of a correlation between rank and skill level. With the points resetting to zero every few weeks, however, that correlation just isn't there. If you start early and play a lot, you are actively penalized and need to go through way more grind than someone who ignores it for a week or two, since a greater number of opponents of equal or greater skill would be at lower ranks than you due simply to their not having put in as many games. Additionally, you're more likely to be paired against these people at lower ranks simply because there aren't enough players at the same rank yet that you'd be able to find one looking for a match during the same twenty second window that you are. It seems really stupid to me that they set up the system in such a way that discourages people from playing their game.

A better system would be to have a standard win and loss amount for each of the ranks. That would mean that everybody can play at their own pace and not worry about where the guy they're playing against is, because where he is isn't all that related to how good he may or may not be compared to you.

DeftMonk

Noob
Hes saying like tekken, pair you up with your rank. I played like my 5-6th match otherday in this season and as an apprentice it gave me a demi god. Homie declined (I wonder why was like win 10 points lose 150) but still.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Well I got rank up first

Can’t just appear in the rank I want, trust me I would if I could, but we all have to go through the grind

Edit: read again I see you where using it as example to Crimson

Nvm

I do wish they have some sort of placement Games like other ranked games so can place you at a more suitable rank at the start
This guy doesn't post on TYM for weeks then one person randomly mentions his name and he's suddenly in here

I see you

Yeh, the system point sucks lot. This morning, I lost 200 points in 2 matches, 1 of them disconnected in the start. I'm feeling the salt right now
The PC experience:

• I lost about 150-200 points to Forfeit glitchers - maybe more because sometimes I just didn't get my points for the win and sometimes it was registered as a loss (and since the fix arrived a week later for Steam I lost about two weeks from the season when I played only one match in every 3 days to keep my points and avoid glitch abusers)
  • I lost 50 points in two desynchs: first time I won the first match of the set and we got desynched in the second. Second time I lost the first match and we got desynched during the second match. Just to be clear: I'm on wired connection, I immediately checked my connection and it was good and the game didn't show any messages about lost connection. And both times it was registered as a loss for me
  • I didn't get a single point for matches I won and my opponent pulled the plug in the end. NOT. A. SINGLE. POINT. I guess I was lucky it wasn't registered as a loss. Another -100
And of course I had a +10/-100 matchup that I ended up losing and another with -97.

And it still didn't stop me from reaching Demi God today with exactly 3500 points.

And I felt exactly the same what you can see in a lot of reddit post: Finally I'm done with KL Season 3, I'm out of this toxic hellhole! If I were an NRS employee I would think about it whether it is a job well done where my players feel relief when they don't have to play the game anymore.

Last edited:
The scoring system is out of fucking control. Nobody should be risking 1 to 150 pts for a 15 to 10 pt gain against people on hideys. Its stupid af. Why has this not been brought to NRS attention? Completely sucks the fun and motivation out when youve busted your ass for 30 minutes to try and rank up, but a wifi 150 pointer comes in and kills all progress. Wtf were they thinking?

Last edited:
KL is broken in many ways from glitches so cheaters dodge loses/points to the way the system is. Every win you should gain 50 to 100 points to you know actually rank up once you hit GM onward, don't care what anyone says. The way it is now it's beyond a grind to rank up. I've beaten Gods and Elder Gods who weren't that dominant so I can only imagine how they got that high hmmm.

The decay system is stupid imo, but at least they increased it to 3 days. Still, if someone is on vacation or busy with life I don't like being penalized.

You should lose no more than 5-10 points per lose. And if you just ranked up you should lose nothing for at least 2 sets in a row once you've reached a new level.

Also, has NRS fixed the Forfeit glitch for every platform or is it just still PS4? I haven't run into people doing it anymore but I have still run into pullers, lag switchers and people who somehow cause for a "desync" then I lose points...this needs to be fixed seriously.
Lag switchers seem to be all over this game. Massive lag once you stat winning then miraculously back to normal when they have you in a combo.

Tekken's system isn't great. I prefer SFV's tbh.
I hate the ranked system in SFV. It feels like you have to maintain a very high win rate to get anywhere in that game. Losing points in SFV feels horrible, but in most cases in MK one win can make up for 3 or 4 loses.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Elo based matchmaking doesn't work for MK if it's just gonna reset to 0 every season. The ppl who made it high up should be rewarded with like a slightly higher starting position or smt for the upcoming season

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
There HAS to be some sort of cap placed on point loss against lower ranks. As it stands now, it is 100% in everyone's best interests to complete ignore KL until the last ~7-10 days (or even fewer) to easily smash their way to Demi-God by abusing the 80-150 point gains. On top of this, there's the fact that many people are relieved to stop playing once they reach Demi-God as immortal said.

These two things are blatantly clear signs that the system is fucked.

There HAS to be some sort of cap placed on point loss against lower ranks. As it stands now, it is 100% in everyone's best interests to complete ignore KL until the last ~7-10 days (or even fewer) to easily smash their way to Demi-God by abusing the 80-150 point gains. On top of this, there's the fact that many people are relieved to stop playing once they reach Demi-God as immortal said.

These two things are blatantly clear signs that the system is fucked.
Exactly, once demi is reached you get the skins. I reached god last season, but the grind was literally unbearable. Halfway through demi this season i gave up and told myself i have better things to do and a backlog to conquer. I cant imagine what its like grinding elder god.