What's new

Kombat Kast Recap

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
It's February 14th and we all know what that means: Kombat Kast! Having teased a "her" reveal and promised a Baraka Breakdowna, it was another afternoon filled with reveals, MK11 specs, and somebody losing the belt in the never-ending battle between Tyler and Derek. And here's all the details for those of you who couldn't catch it.

So after some chit-chat and catch up talk, they dropped a trailer for Jade (apparently 16 Bit's favorite character of the new roster). This time around, she's apparently upgraded her staff and decided to go the Darth Maul route with a double bladed lightsaber. Derek gave us a little insight into the design of the character this time around: sexy and superior. The wanted to keep her dancer's kind of movements, but this time adding in an "I'm the royal guard for Kitana and I'm better than you" vibe. You can scope some of this in the trailer whenever I update the post with it.

Getting into the more technical breakdown, Jade is going to use her staff A LOT in her strings. A lot of range and a lot of pokes. Even when she isn't using her staff, she throws out some kicks that have a lot of range too. If that isn't enough range for you, she's got her glaive back as well. Not really a spammable projectile, but great to check people who are trying to keep you full screen. Beyond that, she's got a sweet looking parry and a move that gives you projectile immunity in her base kit.

It was at this point that I got a work call and had to mute the stream. They showed off a few loadout moves, like an anti-air glaive that covers a lot of air space, and an alternate costume that isn't revenant'd out. Here's a picture of that:

That's a cool picture. Anywhos, after this, they showed a trailer for a new webshow called "The Science of Mortal Kombat. A show that looks at the science of Mortal Kombat. Show sounds like it'll be coming soon, and it will give y'all an idea as to how the physics of this world works (I guess think Ultimate Warrior or whatever that old show was).

After that was the promised Baraka showcase. There's a lot that you probably saw already in other people's videos, but this time we had 16 Bit going over things. Something cool shown off in his move-set that I didn't catch is that his flag gives him armor, at least against projectiles. From the looks of it, this flag is going to be a very strong tool in how he plays, but we'll see what happens.

There's a shot from a new stage, appears to be Goro's Lair. Which is leading me to the new segment called "Washed Up Warriors", where 16 Bit plays Saucy Jack so we can relive the days when they actually competed. Bit played Jade, Jack took Baraka. In the second set of 3, we accidentally learned that Jade has a D2 brutality. The two traded back and forth off sets, with 16 Bit winning the final set and tying up the total score from last week at 1-1.

Closing it out was our BELT BATTLE! Derek also went down Jade Road while Tyler broke out his Sonya. The first match was a clean mop by Tyler, showing off a set of skills that have laid dormant for centuries, only awakening now for this moment. Match two brought out the Wheel of Khaos, which, unfortunately for Tyler, landed on "Steve plays for Tyler". Just going rematch from the last round, things went about as you'd expect, despite a valiant effort by Tyler. For our final match, the Wheel of Khaos landed on "Play the match blindfolded", where we discovered that the Kast has no sound on their TV. A zoning battle resulted into Tyler winning the first round with his fatal, followed up by him landing 3 BnBs to win this week's belt.

Things to expect: next week is a MK mobile stream. Week after that is a regular Kast, where some things will happen. No tease for a new character this time, so for right now, expect it to just be a regular Kast showing off some of the already known characters.

Pretty much what I'd expect them to do with Jade -- nothing revolutionary; just a Jade that one familiar with the character, would envisage... Even if she has been given the trademark NRS 'butterface' make-over.

Gamer68

Fujin!
  • Jade looks great. I'm glad she uses her weapons more like the other characters. I think her default outfit looks the best, personally.
  • Goro's Lair is awesome, basically the MK9 one but better. I hope we get even more klassic stages.
  • The Baraka breakdown wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because they actually showed new stuff we haven't seen, unlike Geras. We also got to see his second Fatality.
  • Washed Up Warriors was good and should stay.
  • Belt Battle/Wheel of Khaos was more interesting this time. Rules like blindfolded should stay along with other crazy ones (but no more cheating).
  • Still had some technical issues with the audio (when playing the Science of Mortal Kombat trailer). Those really need to get fixed.
  • Next week's stream being about MK Mobile is a let down. Means we probably won't get another console stream/new character breakdown until the 28th.
  • Still no word on when we will see Kano and D'Vorah other than "soon"
  • No teases about the next character reveal like last time. They did say that we might end up seeing some of the game at "other places" but I don't know if they were hinting at anything happening recently or if they were just saying that not everything was going to be revealed on the Kombat Kast. If that's the case, we kinda already knew that considering Kano and D'Vorah weren't revealed on the Kombat Kast.
Overall, I liked it more that the first stream. Jade, Goro's Lair, and new Baraka moves w/ second Fatality. It also seemed more to the point -- they didn't really ramble on forever before showing the stuff, and they didn't forget which moves were in the loadouts like last time. Definitely an improvement over last time.

Just wish they would 1) get the technical issues solved, and 2) show us the pre-release roadmap. They keep saying they have a whole reveal schedule figured and whatnot, but won't give us dates for the next console stream, Kano and D'Vorah gameplay, etc.

SubZeroIce

Runway
So disappointing that they're doing a mobile stream but can't do a Kombat Kast one as well... and no hint as to what the next one will be about despite having a set schedule....

This is becoming a joke. Almost 9 weeks left and we've seen gameplay for 9 of the base roster of 25-26...

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
So disappointing that they're doing a mobile stream but can't do a Kombat Kast one as well... and no hint as to what the next one will be about despite having a set schedule....

This is becoming a joke. Almost 9 weeks left and we've seen gameplay for 9 of the base roster of 25-26...
Didn't get mkx's full roster until 12 day before console release date.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store

You guys really gotta calm down with all your “gimme gimme gimme” whining.

You’ll see the full roster before release.

Relax.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
i never cared for revanant costumes so im not feeling jades first design at all. i need bright colors damnit lol. also im not cool with after her shadow kick it automatically goes into another move i wish it only happen if you meter burned it.i think mortal kombat 9 jade was more revolutionized because she was using her stripper pole in amazing ways! hopefully they bring some of those moves back. this komkast made me like baraka more! that flag move is amazing.