What's new

Kombat Kast 9-25-19 Recap

New Kombat Kast, this one detailing 3rd variations for the cast and a mysterious new game mode. If you couldn't watch for yourself on Netherrealm's Twitch, then read on for a brief breakdown of what they discussed.

So as it goes in life, it was at the exact start of the Kast that I received a work call. Notes are going to be a bit sparse here, but the new mode announced is kind of a Boss Rush mode. 3 players fight a boss at the same time to work down his health bar. Challenges can be completed to give everyone buffs and you get rewards based on how well you did, on top of whatever tower rewards were available. This is going to be added to the Towers of Time.

Right from there, they got into the new variations:

-Shang Tsung is going to get a variation with his ninja moves
-Frost gets a variation with more zoning tools
-Johnny gets a variation with his old force balls
-Jax gets a variation with new strings that open up combo routes
-Sub-Zero gets a move that acts like the ice clone
-Liu Kang gets a teleport and command grab
-Scorpion gets an old school jump punch and Misery Blade
-Sonya gets her drone
-Nightwolf gets some new specials, including his Spirit Tracks
-Jade gets a reflect and teleport
-Kitana (universally) can amp her air fans for new combo routes, new krushing blow, the Fan-a-do and a low fan projectile
-Kotal gets access to new totems and the amplified sun disk
-Jacqui gets new aerial moves
-Kung Lao gets Great Kung Lao moves, which have been buffed from customs
-Erron Black gets a bear trap and the acid pour special
-Shao Kahn gets new spear based moves
-Noob gets new combo routes
-Cetrion can access her elemental buffs
-Kano gets Snakebite and the laser eye
-Cassie gets new bullet based specials
-Kabal gets the gas blast and AA grab
-Geras can rewind time now
-Kollector gets the chakram

Patch notes are coming out later today with details on everything else they didn't want to cover. Derek announced new holiday themed towers that will come with holiday themed consumables. So that was it for today, I'll update the thread with the notes when live. There will be a Kast next week as well, aiming for same time next Wednesday.

Comments

Ahh bummer. Useless move.

The other two more than make up for it though. I’m actually hella excited for this
Who knows, they said they are buffing some of the moves and changing how some of them even work for the third variation. Cant base anything off current versions until we see patch notes.

Super disappointing Scorpion didn’t get demon dash with misery blade. The njp sword launching thing is useless. Unless it got some buffs I’m unaware of since the beta.
It actually seems they followed most of K&M's 3V ideas on YouTube.

The Sin Blade (NJP) is actually pretty good. It may not be demon dash but its a combo extender and combo starter obviously from Neutral Jumps but more importantly you can launch them after amped spear into full combo with it. I also believe its super fast and allows certain moves to be punishable from NJP that weren't before.

I'm pretty excited about several characters now.

Who knows, they said they are buffing some of the moves and changing how some of them even work for the third variation. Cant base anything off current versions until we see patch notes.
Jacqui couple win Evo undefeated and she'd still be midv tier at best to some

New variations are neat, will have to see them in game to form opinion on them but it's a welcome bit of variety.
The "New" mode isn't actually new, but hell, I liked the mode and having it reliably availiable is a big plus.

I really hope Jade gets those extended strings in variation 3. No lie, I will never and have never played with her competitively simply because she doesn't have them in ranked lol.

Pretty much the same! Just too bad command grab is a high and nunchaku stance is extremely unsafe. Liu without a low fireball isn't that scary.
When I used Liu Kang I used WSL. I didn't need low fireball and I felt WSL was strong AF. You can't keep him out or zone him.

This 3rd Variation gives him a Teleport, a CMD Grab and Overhead/Low mixup and a cancel and projectile absorb.
I guarantee he doesn't need Low Fireball and will just TP on reaction and be in your face.

I'm glad F4 is now 11f though since B1 has like no range no more 9f mids to threat you from neutral. Basically what I predicted that his F4 would be 11f startup and that's it.

New variations are neat, will have to see them in game to form opinion on them but it's a welcome bit of variety.
The "New" mode isn't actually new, but hell, I liked the mode and having it reliably availiable is a big plus.
I take back what I said. The new mode is new and I really like the way it is.