What's new

Tech - Mournful Kitana's insane blockstring in Mournful (up to 31% chip) BIG CHARACTERS ONLY!!

Viable?

• Total voters

Colares

Noob
Its better to take a guess on any mix up in general and if you guess wrong break instead.
Kitana 3 bars got you on the corner she 212 and you guessed wrong the combo will kill and you'll lose the match, so you break.
Kitana 3 bars got you on the corner she 212 and you guessed right the chip will kill and you'll lose the match, so you pushblock.

Skedar70

Noob
  • Kitana (Mournful) - Reduced the block stun on the first Glaive of the Enhanced Glaive Throw by 8 (no longer jails from up close at min range)
Does this nerf remove the block string?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
  • Kitana (Mournful) - Reduced the block stun on the first Glaive of the Enhanced Glaive Throw by 8 (no longer jails from up close at min range)
Does this nerf remove the block string?
Yea. It's still safe tho. They can armor the glaive returning back but you have more than enough time to block. 212 ex glaive is still a block string on certain characters like raiden, but they can armor another loop attempt

Loogaroo

Noob
She just lost any chance for 50/50's that she could apply after an ex glaive too. Any fast armor move will beat her. So Kung Lao can launch her if she chooses to attack after ex glaive.
I guess Kitana is now mournful from losing any viability she had.

Last edited:

Elias6999

Mournful Master
She just lost any chance for 50/50's that she could apply after an ex glaive too. Any fast armor move will beat her. So Kung Lao can launch her if she chooses to attack after ex glaive.
Just because a few select characterd can punish it doesn't mean its unviable. This variation still is better than Assassin, which is really ass as the name indicates:joker:

xKhaoTik

What? Stop lol. There's nothing wrong with this. It's still safe on block, still jails against certain characters and is still a good tool.

If anything, the nerf kinda made it better. Now she can use it for mind games. Throw out the blockstring, bait the armor or backdash and punish. If they don't do that, do the blockstring again

xKhaoTik

I play Assasin today against my friend using grand master Subz, then test parry on block in practice mode on Cassie with reversal flipkick and I have some conclusion about the new 7 frame parry
First the only thing that make [normals] canceled into parry safe against cassie is 21 parry (without holding). Everything else is either punishable by Cassie flipkick or push Kitana too faraway that flipkick misses (I'm sorry i didn't test with other characters). But if you do 21 parry and mash D1 trying to pressure, Cassie will hit you with flipkick before your D1 hits her, so 21 parry is negative on block
Unless you hold them to play mind game (baiting Mileena ex roll for example), it's not worth using 21 parry in footsie game or as upclose pressure.
But the new 7 frame does help her in the matches against Sub. If I'm stuck in the corner I can block his low option or react to parry the overhead (which is funny). The react is very hard to do though, I need more practice.
Lol what does this have to do with the topic of the thread tho

Loogaroo

Noob
What? Stop lol. There's nothing wrong with this. It's still safe on block, still jails against certain characters and is still a good tool.

If anything, the nerf kinda made it better. Now she can use it for mind games. Throw out the blockstring, bait the armor or backdash and punish. If they don't do that, do the blockstring again
Made it better for the opponent. Before, if they tried to interrupt, they'd get launched for over 30%.
So the opponent had to sit back as Kitana got a semi free throw, low launcher or overhead hard knockdown mixup.

Sure, now you can bait the armor and launch punish Kung Lao's spin, for example. But having them be able to armor and backdash is just adding more variables against the Kitana player.

And there was no reason to nerf her seeing she wasn't broken or overused. You have Tanya, Cassie and Kitana in the same game and you decide to nerf Kitana?

D'vorah and Quan Chi got fair nerfs, Shinnok got a fair buff. This was uncalled for.

She's still viable if we're comparing her to MK9 Jade :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
God I need practice with Mournful. She's so high up on my tier list. Kinda safe, doesnt rely on meter for combos(like at all really), builds its pretty ok just to either break, jail, swing momentum, or DP. Thought Id never use the damn rising fans. Now its like....a staple.

-P.S. Thank NRS for listening. Now nerf Goro.

YoShadowFiend

"I will not be so passive, in your demise."
24% and you can't armor 112124~ex hat spin. B321~ex hat spin is the one that is backdashable, and can only be armor punished by Cassie (Lao can block the armor attempt from any other character).
except reptile also. so cassie and reptile are probably the only two who can armor him.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
@xKhaoTik have you got a tested number for the block adv on ex glaive? I don't think it's -48 like the game says haha

Wanna update the frame data website but don't have a tested number.