- Unsafe on most special
- poor reach on normals out side of f2
- slow moves
- no mix ups

~ THINGS TO KNOW ~
• Shes a very defensive character
• Be prepared to grab a lot
• She can convert off almost anything
• She's very straight forward as a character but you as a player need to be on point due to her design.
• SHE GOT HELLA BUFFED

~ VARIATIONS SUMMARY ~

• Assassin
- She gains assassin strike, Sharpen, and Parry.
- This variation is more damage and hit and run based
- I believe her zoning is stronger in this variation since her damage and chip increase with sharpen.

• Royal Storm
- She gains Fan Nado, Ass, Reflect, and the 24 string.
- This variation is more Zoning and anti zoning based
- in this variation her anti zoning become stronger due to the fact that EX lift goes full screen. And her reflect is decent SINCE IT GOT BUFFED. And Ass is real fast for countering mid range attacks, its unsafe.

• Mournful
- she gains Glaive toss, shadow kick, staff grab, and loses Fan toss.
- This variations is footsies and space control based.
- Her air control and Damage decreases, SINCE SHE GOT A DAMAGE NERF. But her ground game is much stronger and she is much safer.
- I believe this variant might be her strongest in the future, if she doesn't receive massive buffs. WHICH SHE DID

~ MOVES ~

• Strings
- 1, 111 : her fastest move, with start up at 8 frames. s1 is a decent anti air and 111 gives you 30-33%
- f1, f112 : good combo starter. F112 is safe as a whole.
- b1, b14, b142 : b1 range sucks, b14 is a low starter and is NOW -4 on block. This is her main pressure tooL. B1 got buffed it is now 9f
- 2, 212, 24(rs) : 21 is NOW a main pressure tool, it is now +2 on block and 212 is safe and now a combo starter.
- f2, f22, f22u4 : long range footsie tool. Its slow at 19 frames. IT DOSNT MATTER SINCE ITS SAFE NOW! but there not really a reason to use f22u4 since f22 OS Lift is safe at -6.
- 3 : combo filler
- f33, f334, f332 : f33 is a combo filler, 334 is safe but has a gap, and no reason to use 332.
- b3: NEW MOVE! 15f low starter. okay range. Slightly Unsafe at -8 use the OS with lift to keep this move partially safe. THIS IS A VERY GOOD ANTI JUMP IN.
- f4, f43: 14 frame combo starter, mainly for combos.
- b4 : lowers hit box and fast at 10f
- d1, d2, d3, d4: d1 decent pokes with okay range, d2 okay anti air, d3 sucks ass, d4 range isn't that great.

- j2: really fast at 5f. But it sucks as a jump in. Like all her jumps

• Special Moves
- Fan Toss : her main zoning tool. Fast for a projectile at 18 with fast travel time. Air version comes out at 7 frames. EX is used for unbreakable and corner combos. +2 on blk and EX is NOW A MID. Fan is also partially safe
- Fan Lift: Combo Filler. EX is useless. In Royal Storm this move becomes stronger. It reachers 1/4 screen and EX goes full screen. Up close its -16.
- Rising fans: her DP, its a decent anti air, beats armor since it has two hits, EX version is a good wake up for Jumping ins. THIS IS NOW HER BEST WAKE UP. YOU CAN NOW CANCEL INTO AIR FAN FOR A COMBO
- Float: Her main mix up tool. This is. Deceptive move that cancels her jump arc. And from it you can NJP, fan toos, Ass, Air Glaive, or just land. But all those options are unsafe. except air GLAIVE.
- Throat Slice: Fast at 10f. Max range is 22f. Has good range. But it's mainly a wake up or combo ender. Its unsafe at -30.
- Assassin Strike: Full Screen move. Its pretty fast for the type of attack it is. EX has armor on start up. Its -16 with push back.
- Ass: really fast at 10f. But whiff recovery sucks. Ex goes further and has armor. Air version goes the farthest
- staff Grab: Combo ender. Its unsafe at -11. EX does more damage and has armor
- Glaive: Real good zoning tool. It can be aimed (up or down) its slow start up at 26f but recovery is real good. Ex opens for a combo or pressure. EX AIR GLAIVE GOT BUFFED. IT IS NOW AN OVERHEAD LAUNCHER
- Parry: GOT BUFFED, AND IS NOW 7Fs. So it is now a good wake up and counter pressure tool. I use it in footsies or to bait wake ups. But you can just block and punished. Can be held. In my opinion this will be the core of assassins pressure.
- Reflect: Got slightly BUFFED. It's now faster.
- Shadow kick: Very good mid range tool. Fast and travels mid screen. Great Hitbox. But it can be neutral ducked. EX adds distance and armor.

~ BREAKDOWN ~
• She's mainly a defensive zoning character. With a now decent up close game.

> ZONING
- kitana is mainly a zoning and defensive character.
•Basics
- Zoning in this game isn't to strong.
- Her fans are pretty a pretty strong tool, they travel fast and if anti airs you get 28-31% and you can get 25%+ unbreakable.
- if your opponents block a ground fan from full screen you are at about +25 so go crazy. After a block air fan full screen you're only at about +9.
- AIR FANS: They are fast, control air, and lead to big damage. But out side of that, they are unsafe. That doesn't mean don't use them. But at mid range, most characters can duck and punish. They are safe on block from outside of mid ranges. Maybe mileena and kunlao can punish it.

• Assassin
- In this variation, kitana gains more damage and a parry. So she gets to play a more hit and run game.
- Assassin strike is a good Knockdown so she can get away or go for Float mix ups. This move is also very good for running away. After a KD you can AS and you will run over them and be at 3/4 screen which is decent. You can read a jump and AS to go under and away from them.
- Parry I like to use it mid range in footsies. but it can be used in pressure.
- Sharpen anytime you get a chance you need it to do damage. Be careful you're at -50 if you use it in open space. THERE ARE NOW SAFE SHARPEN SET UPS.

• Royal Storm
- Her trades game is more strong(most of the times)
- her zoning gets stronger because she gets decent anti zoning tool. Reflect, EX fanado,and Ex Ass.
- use EX fanado if you read they are gonna throw a projectile, same with reflect. But aside from that her zoning game is the basic.
- if they keep ducking just ia EX ass it goes full sc

• Mournful
- she loses air control.
- glaives are pretty good and recover fast. They just are slow on start up.
- if you anti air glaive from 3/4 screen you can convert into EX shadow kick for 19%
- use shadow kick and ex shadow kick to anti air and keep them full screen to zone.
- air glaive mixed with float are real good for evading straight projectiles. Watch for runners, if they're smart they'll punish. If you float and bait a run you can NJP
-She Now has an OH LAUNCHER in this variant

> MID RANGE
- Kitana is NOW a footsies monster like in MK9. UPDATE: they made F22 -6 so she can Now play safe footsies :)
- her f2 is her longest reaching normal and is a decent whiff punisher and its safe.
- RUN UP GRAB IS YOUR BFF USE IT!
- float and NJP are essential in her neutral and mid range game.
- jump kick fan is still good in this game. It's just unsafe...
- UPDATE: Her f1 got buffed, though not f2 range, its still pretty good.
• Assassin
- not really a footsies variation IMO. You can use EX AS and parry to counter footsie but its not that great.
• Royal Storm
- fanado is underrated footsie tool its -12 max range and if hits you get 30%
- ASS is decent and really fast but is unsafe.
• Mournful
- Shadow Kick, shadow kick, and Shadow kick. If if they start ducking, use f2.

> UP CLOSE
- HER UP CLOSE GAME GOT HELLA BUFFED.
- Her best tools are now. 21(+2) b14( 9f mid) d1 (amazing range) EX FAN (now mid) Float, walk back into f22 or b3, EX glaives, and Parry.
- Grab is also an excellent option.
- IN ASSASSIN: Her pressure game gets pretty interesting.
• PARRY CANCELS
-In assassin she can cancel or hold her parry. She doesn't get any advantage but it's deceptive. If they opponent pokes and you hold they take 15% if you cancel and they don't react you can use it to parry again oor d1 your self. Unfortunately if they have a fast low you might be dead.

~ OTHER THINGS ~
> OKI
- kitanas main OKI game is based on her float, cross ups, b2 and b3.
- her best Knockdown is assassin strike but in the other variations USE FAN TOSS. You only lose 1-3%.
- use float to fake out people and to mess up their inputs.
- use b2 from an overhead and anti jump option.
-In mournful you cancel NOW mix up b3 and EX air GLAIVE. Since they both launch.

> GIMMICKS

• Jump in "50/50"
- you can jump in punch and mix up with b3 or float NJP.
- very gimmicky but will hit some people.

• Safe Jump
- end any combo in Fan toss and you have enough advantage for a safe jump.
- from there you can j1 f112 fan toss. If you used her b14 bnb you should have built 50% of a bar.
- you can also got for the jump in "50/50"

• Empty Float
- a lot of kitanas like to empty float into b3 or grab. Since there's a threat from the NJP. But its very risky.

• SAFE SHARPEN
-end your combos in iaFan and you get a safe regular sharpen.

~ MATCH UPS ~
- nothing right now. But just know, you will most likely have to out play your opponent.
-EDIT: I've noticed characters that out footsie her and control space well give her problems.

~ COMBOS ~
Her main combo enders are.
Throat slice ( max damage)
Fan toss ( Hard Knock down)
Strike ( ASN )
Staff grab.( MFL )

> Mid screen
•Meterless
- 111/f112 Fan Toss f43 f4 Lift JK fan f4 Ender (RS and ASN)
- 111/f112 fan toss f43 f43 d1 Lift JK fan f4 Ender (RS and ASN)
- 11 Lift dash NJP f43 f43 b12 Staff grab (MNFL)

- b14 Lift f43 f43 b12 fan toss JK fan f4 Ender ( RS and ASN )
- b14 Lift dash NJP f43 f43 b12 Staff grab (MNFL)

- f43 f43 f33 fan toss JK fan f4 Lift NJP f4 Ender (RS and ASN)
- f43 f43 f43 d1 Lift dash NJP f4 Staff Grab (MNFL)

- f22u4 air fan f33 fan toss f4 Lift f4 Ender (RS and ASN
- F22 lift f43 f43 s3 fan toss JK fan f4 Ender
-f22 Lift f43 f43 s3 staff grab

-JK fan f43 s3 fan toss f4 lift NJP f4 Ender

*YOU DONT WANT TO USE METER MID SCREEN. UNLESS IT COMES FROM EX GLAIVE TOSS.
But here's some combos. (MNFL only)

-111 EX GLAIVE run 21 fan Lift dash NJP f4 Staff Grab
-f112 EX GLAIVE run f43 d1 Lift dash NJP f4 Staff Grab
-b14/11/f2 EX GLAIVE into any Meterless combo above.

> Corner Combos

*In RS and ASN I like using meter since you get to take half life if you hit them.

- b14 Lift JK f33 fan toss JK fan JK (delay) air fan 111 TS
- B14 EX fan b14 fan toss JK fan JK s3 Lift JK float NJP s3 TS

-111/f112 fan toss JK fan JK (ddelay) Air fan 111 Lift NJP s3 TS

-f22u4 air fan f33 fan toss f4 lift NJP s3 TS

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Very nice, I'm working on here right now. And would definetely help having someone who's willing to exploit her. Let me know if interested @Laos_boy

I know shes probably buttom 5 along with Shinnok, Kenshi, Goro and Mileena but I just love all those msj I get after I beat those Scorpion Sub Zeros and Kung Jins, saying Im lame I just throw fans bla bla... jejeje I wish she gets another safe string besides f334, and the move that is db2 would be cool if it had a cancel into float, that move is just shitty noone uses it.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
hai laos guy i've been playing catana since my fave fg mk vs dc big FAN of her, she really blows me away.(lolzy get it?xD) anyway i was wundoring is it tru she gets 30% meterless on hit with projectile?

ok so if thats the case y does cassie only get -9 on hit for her projectile? is that really fair? do u agree cassie needs wakeup buffs? will catana players ever stop acting childish? i wish my character had infinites.... pls respond thnx

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
What do you mean?
My bad, I meant to say: "I'm working on her" not "here" lol And basically I'd like someone down to actually play mirrors with her to get better faster or even play your main even if that means I end up losing 30-2.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Is one really needed?
I think so. A short video explaining about Kitana is the best way to attract attention to her issues in my opinion.
It doesn't have to be you, you're already putting in a lot of good work here, but somebody in one of these threads said they'd make one, I'd really like that.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I mean she has "mix-ups" but they're not necessarily good

• b+1,4, x-ray
  • b+1,4, throw
  • b+1,4, b+2(i put this one in here for the lols)
  • b+1,4,3
  • b+1,4 ex glave b+4
  • b+1,4 ex glave b+2
  • ij2 float 2
  • ij2, b+4
  • f+2,2, u+4 (glave makes it an overhead)
  • f+2,2 u+4 float, 2
  • f+2,2,u+4 float (land) b+4
it's not that she doesn't have mixup, it's just that it's really not that good somewhat reactable and just eh

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
I mean she has "mix-ups" but they're not necessarily good

• b+1,4, x-ray
  • b+1,4, throw
  • b+1,4, b+2(i put this one in here for the lols)
  • b+1,4,3
  • b+1,4 ex glave b+4
  • b+1,4 ex glave b+2
  • ij2 float 2
  • ij2, b+4
  • f+2,2, u+4 (glave makes it an overhead)
  • f+2,2 u+4 float, 2
  • f+2,2,u+4 float (land) b+4
it's not that she doesn't have mixup, it's just that it's really not that good somewhat reactable and just eh
Yeah the risk reward is never in her favor.

6ixty9

Noob
Hey Laos

Excellent guide!! Very informative..

Mate if you got time - im having trouble getting some solid BnB's under my belt. All the combo videos on the internet are nice but they're not always practical. Most of the time they're very difficult in terms of execution and focus more on squeezing out 1-2% extra damage rather than being practical and consistent online.

Anyway - if you could list a few BnB's or update your guide to include them, that would be super awesome!!

That way noobs like me have a few "go-to" combos to get them started...

i.e.

Punish BnB
Low-Starter BnB
Overhead BnB
Max-Damage BnB
etc

1-2 for each would be amazing...

Also - what is the ebst way to use meter? In combos? Reversals?

Thanks

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Hey Laos

Excellent guide!! Very informative..

Mate if you got time - im having trouble getting some solid BnB's under my belt. All the combo videos on the internet are nice but they're not always practical. Most of the time they're very difficult in terms of execution and focus more on squeezing out 1-2% extra damage rather than being practical and consistent online.

Anyway - if you could list a few BnB's or update your guide to include them, that would be super awesome!!

That way noobs like me have a few "go-to" combos to get them started...

i.e.

Punish BnB
Low-Starter BnB
Overhead BnB
Max-Damage BnB
etc

1-2 for each would be amazing...

Thanks
If we are talking specifically reliable ONLINE BnBs, I can offer what I personally use. I don't member exact percentages for all of them, but they are over 30% with the exception of one. I use Assassin, but these work for Royal Storm as well. Just substitute db3 with bf3.

Punish BnB:

111~fan toss, dash, f43, d2. (28%)
Super easy, very reliable. Good for ending a round.

B14~lift,f33~fan toss,ji4~air fan toss, dash, f3,db3.
Good damage punisher. Realitive ease. You could do f33~db3 to end it for an extra 1%, but not worth possibly dropping your db3.

Low-Starter BnB:

B3~lift, walk forward, f33~fan toss, ji4~air fan toss, dash, f33~db3
Good damage. The f33~db3 ender is more reliable here than above for whatever reason

Overhead BnB:

Kitana doesn't have an overhead starter. Your only overhead attacks are jump ins, b2 (which causes HKD), and your xray. Note that b3~xray is a very difficult to block low/high online.

Max-Damage BnB:

Ji2,f43,f43,21~lift,walk forward,f33~fan toss, ji4~air fan toss, dash, f3~db3. (39%)
You can opt out of the ji2, but f43 is slow and unsafe.

I use meter for armored wake-up most of the time. If I'm in a matchup vs a character very susceptible to zoning (Cassie, Kotal, F/T, Kung Jin (bojitsu only)) then I will spend 1 bar for full screen 5 fan juggles for 28ish % damage if I catch them with an AA air fan toss. The juggle goes: AA air fan toss, ground fan toss, EX fan toss, ground fan toss.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Kitana, for now, is ass, but with decent tools to hang.

> Mid screen
•Meterless
- 111/f112 Fan Toss f43 f4 Lift JK fan f4 Ender (RS and ASN)

> Corner Combos

*In RS and ASN I like using meter since you get to take half life if you hit them.

- b14 Lift JK f33 fan toss JK fan JK (delay) air fan 111 TS
- B14 EX fan b14 fan toss JK fan JK s3 Lift JK float NJP s3 TS
-111/f112 fan toss JK fan JK (ddelay) Air fan 111 Lift NJP s3 TS
Nice guide, I just wanted to point out that the first combo you need to do a jump 2 instead of a jk for it to combo. It should be...

111/F112>DF1, dash, F43, JI2>DF1, Dash, F4/33>DB1, NJP, F4>Ender Edit: Actually you can do a J3 at maximum height. It's just extremely difficult for me personally to get consistently x.x

I like the first meterless corner combo, it does 1% more than I usually do, despite the one I normally do being easier, I'll probably learn yours.

The ones I felt the the next two were a bit over complicated however, as they do the same damage as my combo. Mine is...

B14>EX DF1, 3>DF1, JIK>DF1, JK>DB2, NJP, F33>DB1, F33>BF3 = 50% in Royal, 49% in Assassin and the next combo uses the exact same process making it streamlined imo.

111/F112>DF1, JIK>DF1, JIK>DB2, NJP, F33>DB1, F33>BF3 = 38% and feels way easier to do, and has the same process as the metered version. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Thanks for helping out all of the Kitana players yo!

Last edited: