What's new

Combo List - Kitana Kitana Combo thread

I´m new here, main is Kitana:
I tried f 4 3 f 4 3, but can´t hold opponent in the air, shortly after he touches the ground my second kick hits
do I have to do the input for the two f43 combos as fast as I can or with a short stop between them?
any videos to see how fast the input is done on a joypad or fightstick?

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I´m new here, main is Kitana:
I tried f 4 3 f 4 3, but can´t hold opponent in the air, shortly after he touches the ground my second kick hits
do I have to do the input for the two f43 combos as fast as I can or with a short stop between them?
any videos to see how fast the input is done on a joypad or fightstick?
I usually just F4, 3 one way and just as (or a frame or two before) the second one connects, push the other way and F 4, 3 again. I am usually fairly shitty at timing, but I can do this regularly, so you will be fine after giving this a few goes... Now I need to get the 2, 1 df1 after happening every time! :)

Last edited:
I think you forgot to post it :eek:
Sorry I'm used to SRK's format where it usually just post the links and takes the viewer straight to my page. I have another video that I'm rendering now with a few more option selects but what you see in the video is me doing the F33 chain but in a way that I get both the chain and the buffered special as well as how I can make it safe or use it as a hit confirm.

By doing F3 then DF1+3, for example, I will always get the string F33 DF1 whether it be on hit or block. The option select, or hit confirm depending on how you define your terms, is that if the F33 hits I can let it rock. If they block the F33 I can hit down 4 and it'll continue the string and cancel the input of the special move that was originally inputted. F334 is 0 on block so you are somewhat safe plus it has pushback. I'm working with other strings now though since even though it's 0 on block it can be reversed in-between the 3 and 4.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
If they block the F33 I can hit down 4 and it'll continue the string and cancel the input of the special move that was originally inputted. F334 is 0 on block so you are somewhat safe plus it has pushback.
Ah yes, this game has an excellent buffer window. What's more, they've pretty much circumvented actual lag by adding a steady amount of frames to everything online. It feels slow and smooth, but you can dial all the same.

Fan is not safe on block though.
Yeah I already stated that in the description but it was to show a concept. It's only safer in some strings where the advantage of the string is less than -10 but still not a good option. Unfortunately she doesn't have awesome recovery on specials

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
She comes off more as a risk-reward type to me. Don't quote me on that though, I'm by no measure a good player.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I think what you need to learn with Kitana, order of importance:
1. Instant-AirFan anywhere anyway.
2. Run in after an iAF and commit.
3. Unbreakable damage optimised.

Advanced stuff:
1. Spacing of every move so that you can whiffpunish hard.
2. Pacing and speed of opponents and their moves so that you can whiffpunish even harder.
3. How to get out of set-ups of the opponent and then set them up for high damage.
4. What to do against Quan and other zoners who restrict your movement.

Variation breakdown:
Mournful: Frametraps from mid-to-full screen into moderate damage.
Storm: Mid-screen spacing and pacing game.
Assassin: Ultimate whiff punisher.

Last edited:

Probably a more preferred OS as it'll still leave you at better advantage than canceling into fans (-10 on block), compared to most of her chains.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
All these combos don't mean shit unless you can get into position to execute them, but I guess learning the match ups comes last for you guys huh?

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Shenanigans. You were releasing combo videos as well so don't play the hypocrite
That's first week stuff, it's time to move on. We figured out what to do once we get a hold of our opponent already, but how do you get in position to do these combos? How important is stage control vs going for max damage in specific match ups? When should you rush down instead of zone? How do you counter all the Quancheese? What to do when getting out zoned? This is the type of stuff that should be discussed right now.

I saw several MKX tournament streams over the weekend, and not one had a Kitana that impressed me. We need to come up with some serious counter strats to all this and more, not show off impractical combos and "option selects." Seriously, if you need to option select with Kitana you're playing her wrong.

And I did more than just a couple combo videos, I made a whole thread on Strats specific to the Mournful variation, which I think far outshines Assassin or Royal Storm in most match ups.