What's new

Kenshi Kombos

Can anyone tell me what "release" means in his 6th kombo tutorial? Am I supposed to hold 3 from an earlier point?

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I haven’t done it yet, but I assume that would be leveraging negative edge (releasing a button is same as pressing)

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Sento *2 into Kenshi 42 is the most finicky thing ever. Really it’s just anbout any combo directly from Sento to Kenshi on a standing opponent. It seems there is some factor other than hit advantage that determines if a combo drops or succeeds. The *2 into 42 mentioned above works if the 4 connects well after the second hit of *2, but immediately after the second hit it won’t. That is unless the opponent is sweep distance/frozen/can’t tell which, then you want the 4 to connect at the same moment as the second hit of *2. I figured out the proper times for everything, but it seems I’m misunderstanding something.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Anyone have some sento corner BnBs, or BnBs for when Kenshi and Sento are on opposite sides of the opponent?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
some basic kenshi stuff I've been doing with kameo sub/frost since no one else has posted in here yet.

midscreen
starter kameo freeze, summon sento, hold forward sento 2, 42 db3, sento 3, dash twice 4 sento 1, 42 sento 2, 4 db4 (end in f4 if you don't want side switch. also this combo does not require you to hold the kamoe button at all.

midscreen overhead after sento sandwich
hold kameo button, b2, release kameo button sento 1, 42 sento 3, 42 sento 2, 4 db4

midscreen low armor break after sento sandwich
b4 sento 4 (note the sento 4 is not an additional input, it comes out automatical when you input sweep) 42 db4

corner
starter kameo freeze, summon sento, hold forward sento 2, f221 sento 3, 42 sento 3, 42 sento 2, f4 (end with f4 for oki, for damage end in s4 ex db4)

corner overhead
hold kameo button, b2 release kameo, sento 1, 42 sento 3, 42 sento 2, 4 ex db4

corner low
hold kameo button, b12, s1, 42 release kameo sento 3, 42 sento 2, 4 ex db4

sento stance no spirit
starter, ex db3, j2, 42 db3 (end with 42 ex db2 to get the spirit back)

starter, ex db3, j2, 42 ex db3, j112

wsj515

Without scouring twitch vods etc. too hard, I think this might be his midscreen optimal?:

starter into kameo freeze, summon sento, hold forward sento 1, dash 42 sento 3, f2, (r1) 4 (release r1) sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4 - 516.73 when not including starter + kameo freeze, which will scale down damage.

Seemingly solid non-sandwich sento stance low starter:

(sento stance) (r1) b12 (release r1) walk forward (sento should move 2 steps) (r1) 42 (release r1) sento 3, j2 (r1) f4 (release r1) sento 3, 4 db4 - 509.53

non-sandwich sento stance overhead starter:

(sento stance) (r1) b2 (release r1) sento 3, 42 sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4 - 426.58

alternative non-sandwich sento stance overhead starter if you don't necessarily want to hitconfirm the first sento 3:

(sento stance) (r1) b2 (release r1) hold forward sento 1, f1 db3 sento 3, 4 db4 - 325.33, I'm sure this can be optimized further

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does anyone know what the optimal Anti-Air combos are? Can't find them anywhere. Using Sub-Zero Kameo if that matters.

Without scouring twitch vods etc. too hard, I think this might be his midscreen optimal?:

starter into kameo freeze, summon sento, hold forward sento 1, dash 24 sento 3, f2, (r1) 4 (release r1) sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4 - 516.73 when not including starter + kameo freeze, which will scale down damage.

Seemingly solid non-sandwich sento stance low starter:

(sento stance) (r1) b12 (release r1) walk forward (sento should move 2 steps) (r1) 24 (release r1) sento 3, j2 (r1) f4 (release r1) sento 3, 4 db4 - 509.53

non-sandwich sento stance overhead starter:

(sento stance) (r1) b2 (release r1) sento 3, 24 sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4 - 426.58

alternative non-sandwich sento stance overhead starter if you don't necessarily want to hitconfirm the first sento 3:

(sento stance) (r1) b2 (release r1) hold forward sento 1, f1 db3 sento 3, 4 db4 - 325.33, I'm sure this can be optimized further
I think you mean 42 not 24 but yea the first two I have started using a lot.

wsj515

Does anyone know what the optimal Anti-Air combos are? Can't find them anywhere. Using Sub-Zero Kameo if that matters.

I think you mean 42 not 24 but yea the first two I have started using a lot.
Yikes thanks, edited.

For AAs (starting out of sento) I've seen / used the following:

1/b2 Sub Freeze, summon sento, (r1) 4 (release r1) sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4 - 351.85/381.85 sometimes you'll need to let the opponent unfreeze / start to drop to properly connect the s4

^this same exact path works with a grounded 141 start as well if you didn't hitconfirm into freeze after 14 for whatever reason.

When in sento I've done some basic d2 AA stuff like d2 sento 3 42 sento 3 4 db4 - but I'm sure there's much better. 3 seems like it could be a decent AA but d2 is just so good.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yikes thanks, edited.

For AAs (starting out of sento) I've seen / used the following:

1/b2 Sub Freeze, summon sento, (r1) 4 (release r1) sento 3, j2 f4 sento 3, 4 db4 - 351.85/381.85 sometimes you'll need to let the opponent unfreeze / start to drop to properly connect the s4

^this same exact path works with a grounded 141 start as well if you didn't hitconfirm into freeze after 14 for whatever reason.

When in sento I've done some basic d2 AA stuff like d2 sento 3 42 sento 3 4 db4 - but I'm sure there's much better. 3 seems like it could be a decent AA but d2 is just so good.
Thanks I'll try this.

Also, something I really hate with the inputs is for consistency on the "hold no-sento S4, release the hold Sento3 (Sento juggles)" in the middle of the main combo. It seems when letting go and pushing S3, if the frames are too close to release instead it will do Sento4 instead of Sento3. Seems like it happens about 1/4 times. I was going to record a video because the inputs are exactly the same, and seems like you have to "wait a little bit" after releasing or you get 4 instead of 3 which is the most annoying thing ever. Have you run into this? It is so annoying that I'm considering switching the combo for the sake of match consistency. Sento standing there posing instead of doing S3 every few combos has me tilted lol.

wsj515

Thanks I'll try this.

Also, something I really hate with the inputs is for consistency on the "hold no-sento S4, release the hold Sento3 (Sento juggles)" in the middle of the main combo. It seems when letting go and pushing S3, if the frames are too close to release instead it will do Sento4 instead of Sento3. Seems like it happens about 1/4 times. I was going to record a video because the inputs are exactly the same, and seems like you have to "wait a little bit" after releasing or you get 4 instead of 3 which is the most annoying thing ever. Have you run into this? It is so annoying that I'm considering switching the combo for the sake of match consistency. Sento standing there posing instead of doing S3 every few combos has me tilted lol.
This has definitely happened to me a bunch but I always chalked it up to me messing up the input sequence and releasing r1 too soon - I definitely think there's some input weirdness in this game sometimes, but as I've gotten more comfortable with the combo it seems to be happening less and less, so idk lol

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This has definitely happened to me a bunch but I always chalked it up to me messing up the input sequence and releasing r1 too soon - I definitely think there's some input weirdness in this game sometimes, but as I've gotten more comfortable with the combo it seems to be happening less and less, so idk lol
Yea I feel like if I'm going for the "game winning combo" I'll go for one with about 20 points less damage (51% vs 49%) since that one is 100% for me. The max damage is about 75% accurate for me, but it's definitely from pressing 3 "too soon" after releasing into 4. I can replicate it easy on practice mode so know to avoid it, but in the heat of a match sometimes I input too fast and boom LOL.

Also last night, I was able to get up to very practical 50-54% in the corner. Not sure if you've found higher, but I'll post the combos when off of work in a few hours.

wsj515

Yea I feel like if I'm going for the "game winning combo" I'll go for one with about 20 points less damage (51% vs 49%) since that one is 100% for me. The max damage is about 75% accurate for me, but it's definitely from pressing 3 "too soon" after releasing into 4. I can replicate it easy on practice mode so know to avoid it, but in the heat of a match sometimes I input too fast and boom LOL.

Also last night, I was able to get up to very practical 50-54% in the corner. Not sure if you've found higher, but I'll post the combos when off of work in a few hours.
Definitely post it, I'm definitely not being optimal in the corner currently. Would also love to know what you use midscreen when you get a hit in sento sandwich, OH/low/standard starter

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Definitely post it, I'm definitely not being optimal in the corner currently. Would also love to know what you use midscreen when you get a hit in sento sandwich, OH/low/standard starter
In the corner I have this one that I'm sure has to be close to optimal. The timings are a bit weird at first but after getting it down it's very consistent:

--Corner Sub-Kameo I use. Any starter into Freeze combo works: F22, Freeze, Hold Sento 1 Release, 42, Sento 3, F2, Kenshi locked 42, Sento 3, 4-EX DB3, Air 3, Sento 3, neutral jump 2, F4, Sento 2, F4 for 52% damage. It's like 54% without a freeze starter but it's rare to get it that way lol. No weird input stuff bugs me in this one haha rarely drop it now.

For the sandwich, I'm testing to see if they hold the 50/50s, and if they're not going to block or delay WU to hold the 50/50 I armor break. Also if they block right I go into pressuring them.

--OH sandwich: Kenshi hold B2 release, Sento 1, 42, Sento 3, walk up, 4-DB4. 36%.

--Low Sandwich: Kenshi hold B4 release, Sento 2, 42, Sento 2, 4-FB4. 32%.

--Armor Break Sandwich: B4, (Sweep and Sento 4 all attack throughout), 4-DB4 25% (I'm probably leaving damage on the table here).

I'm certain the sandwich combos are either optimal or very close to it, but I haven't fully optimized the armor breaker.

wsj515

In the corner I have this one that I'm sure has to be close to optimal. The timings are a bit weird at first but after getting it down it's very consistent:

--Corner Sub-Kameo I use. Any starter into Freeze combo works: F22, Freeze, Hold Sento 1 Release, 42, Sento 3, F2, Kenshi locked 42, Sento 3, 4-EX DB3, Air 3, Sento 3, neutral jump 2, F4, Sento 2, F4 for 52% damage. It's like 54% without a freeze starter but it's rare to get it that way lol. No weird input stuff bugs me in this one haha rarely drop it now.

For the sandwich, I'm testing to see if they hold the 50/50s, and if they're not going to block or delay WU to hold the 50/50 I armor break. Also if they block right I go into pressuring them.

--OH sandwich: Kenshi hold B2 release, Sento 1, 42, Sento 3, walk up, 4-DB4. 36%.

--Low Sandwich: Kenshi hold B4 release, Sento 2, 42, Sento 2, 4-FB4. 32%.

--Armor Break Sandwich: B4, (Sweep and Sento 4 all attack throughout), 4-DB4 25% (I'm probably leaving damage on the table here).

I'm certain the sandwich combos are either optimal or very close to it, but I haven't fully optimized the armor breaker.
Cool thanks - armor breaker you can actually do b4 42 db4. Do you always opt for B4 instead of B12 as a low starter? I've only really seen the B4 used for armor break before

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Cool thanks - armor breaker you can actually do b4 42 db4. Do you always opt for B4 instead of B12 as a low starter? I've only really seen the B4 used for armor break before
Yea I can't remember why I stopped using B12, there was something I wasn't too crazy about when I first started using it on oki but can't remember what it was lol so tried B4 and ended up running with it. But other than the sandwich I use B12 in most other situations. And I'll definitely throw in that extra 42, just checked and it's super simple lol. Really enjoying Kenshi so far, I think I might have found my true main after some more exp.

wsj515

A blocked Serena punish w/ Sub kameo:

When someone does a block string into b+Serena, can block first knife, neutral duck second, 1 EXdb2b, after getting hit 1 sub freeze, sento call, (r1 hold) 4 (r1 release) sento 3 j2 f4 sento 3 4 db4

If no Sub kameo, can just do 1 EXdb2b into 4 db1, you might be able to do 1 EXdb2b 1 bf3 4 db1 but I haven't been able to connect the 4.

Last edited:

wsj515

If anyone wants to try out Kano in the new patch (since you can also get sento out on block with Kano ball), relatively easy Kano combo to set up sandwich:

any hit into enh db2b, kano knives b2 db1, sento 3 dashx2 4 db4

Reactions: JDE

wsj515

Finally labbed this combo, it goes hard. One of the more satisfying combos imo. I really want to get better at hitconfirming sento 2 (and 1, but that seems like it'll be much harder) into these 42 sento 3 combos, imo probably one of the bigger skill ceiling aspects of kenshi

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Finally labbed this combo, it goes hard. One of the more satisfying combos imo. I really want to get better at hitconfirming sento 2 (and 1, but that seems like it'll be much harder) into these 42 sento 3 combos, imo probably one of the bigger skill ceiling aspects of kenshi
Oh yea, no exaggeration it took me almost three hours STRAIGHT of labbing then fighting the Ai for "variable timing" muscle memory to get a couple of those combos consistent. Now I can get it 9/10 times in Full-Match speed, but I almost gave up at one point haha.

Also, I've been trying out Sektor the last couple of days and think he might have some underutilized perks with Kenshi but I need to test more to make sure some setups are real.

I've pretty much abandoned all characters except Ashrah/Kenshi now and looking for ways away from Sub/Frost on-hit Sento dependency. Great combos, but I feel it limits the offensive potential in neutral.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Are there any solo combos into sento that I could do? I saw Scar using Stryker with him. I was going to give Kano, Kung Lao, & Sektor a shot with him. @wsj515 I'll try your thing too.

wsj515

I've pretty much abandoned all characters except Ashrah/Kenshi now and looking for ways away from Sub/Frost on-hit Sento dependency. Great combos, but I feel it limits the offensive potential in neutral.
Yeah this is what I meant - converting stray sento 2/1s into the 42 sento 3 optimal during pressure so major combo damage isn't coming from frost/sub - if you're doing f22 sento 2 pressure its really easy to confirm into the f221 combo path, but not only is the combo just not as good as the others, but the pressure is kinda fake too.

Also, you prob already know these but just in case / for others, I modified the 1 bar corner combo to incorporate mix starters:

b2 sento 1 42 sento 3 4 EXdb3 j3(sento 3) f4 sento 2 f4
b12 (R1) 1 42 (release R1) sento 3 4 EXdb3 j3(sento 3) f4 sento 2 f4

^you can do b12 (R1) 42 etc., they do pretty much the exact same amount of damage, but I've found adding the s1 helps increase gravity scaling (I think) which actually helps with the rest of the combo

wsj515

Are there any solo combos into sento that I could do? I saw Scar using Stryker with him. I was going to give Kano, Kung Lao, & Sektor a shot with him. @wsj515 I'll try your thing too.
Without an ambush kameo I don't think it's possible to get into sandwich straight from balanced stance, but it's not always necessary. For non-kameo combos into sento you're looking at pretty much anything into bf3, 4 db1. In the corner, you can do any starter into bf3 4 bf3 4 db1

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
If anyone wants to try out Kano in the new patch (since you can also get sento out on block with Kano ball), relatively easy Kano combo to set up sandwich:

any hit into enh db2b, kano knives b2 db1, sento 3 dashx2 4 db4
You have a video showcasing this? I'm dropping it after I try sento 3