What's new

Kenshi Gameplay Notes

I figured I'd jot down everything I've been learning about the character through matches to try to alleviate the learning curve. The objective section should be useful. The subjective section might be taken with a grain of salt. Even if it's correct now, as new tech is developed it will likely become outdated. Still, it's a decent starting point.

Tele Flurry

- Kenshi's primary long range pressure tool
- Causes stagger state. The opponent must block your next move. Against opponents who do not know this, you can get repeated tele flurries.
- The move does not complete on block, so it deals about the same chip and gains the same meter as any normal projectile
- Startup is about as fast as any fast projectile
- Teleflurry can sometimes catch enemies at the beginning of their jump, but it usually whiffs vs airborn
- Does not complete if Kenshi is damaged during the animation. For this reason, it trades unfavorably with almost every projectile
- Whiffs against certain projectile animations, such as sektor's missile (confirmed) and kabal's buzzsaw (unconfirmed)
- Normal version hits high and can be ducked. The last hits of enhanced hit special mid. Enhanced hits crouching sub0.
- For the above three reasons, this move is ineffective in zoning wars
- Enhanced version has armor and causes a knockdown. This factor causes it to be an effective reset of a projectile war
- Enhanced version apparently whiffs on some crouching opponents, such as Kitana

Overhead Slash

- Faster than most moves of its kind (up-skull, up-missile)
- Catches opponents who try to jump when placed directly on top of them
- Fast enough to be used as a mixup in block strings
- Enhanced version deals 2% more and does not lead to a combo outside of the corner to my knowledge

Launcher Slash

- Effective anti-air to catch jumps early
- Whiffs or is stuffed if you use it too late when they jump in
- Has invincibility when used as a wakeup attack
- Causes all subsequent juggle attacks in a combo to fail to juggle
- Enhanced version has armor and is safe on block

Spirit Charge

- Fast, beats most normals within its range
- Has invincibility when used as a wakeup attack
- Moderately decent anti-air when used late, but whiffs if used at peak of jump
- Enhanced version has armor
- Seems punishable by superman and gravity squeeze (both unconfirmed)

*NOTE* Use launcher or overhead slash to catch jumps early in the jump arc, and use charge do deal with jump ins that you catch late

Reflect

- Less end lag than Nightwolf's reflect
- Reflects all moves with the projectile property
- Enhanced version absorbs a projectile and converts to HP

Throw

- Both cause untechable knockdown
- Back throw has less recovery than forward throw
- Opponent must block a mid range overhead slash after back throw
- When opponent is trained to block the overhead, can dash in for a throw or F+3

F+2, 2

- Can end in a safe launcher, an overhead normal that causes knockdown and 10%, or overhead special that does not knock down (unless juggling) and does 8%
- Does not whiff vs crouch
- Good range, decent startup
- Begins Kenshi's bnb combo

F+3, 2

- Fast low combo starter, can mix up with overhead special
- Sometimes causes a reset when used in combos

X-Ray

- Full screen projectile
- Reflects projectiles on startup
- Causes untechable knockdown (can follow up with guaranteed mid overhead slash)

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
These are really good notes. Very informative and help me a lot to determine my answers to several situations I've yet to formulate a strategy for.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Absorb sounds good for when opp wants to deplete small remaining health by throwing out projectiles and working off that, which is a common tactic.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Kitana can duck under Kenshi's EX Teleflurry completely and punish with a full combo unless she is in the corner or at the end of the screen (fullscreen or close to it).

I tested this with Jade (similar hitbox) and it hit her. I wonder who else can do this.

Normal flurry is all high, so yeah, can duck that. The last hits of exflurry are special mid though, so im surprised to hear that.

Did more testing of projectiles. I was wrong about the low ones, so I'll fix that.

I meant to say that only ex launcher is safe on block, so I'll fix that too. I'd imagine only certain characters could punish from peak range though.

I added a few more notes. I think I'll leave the subjective notes to people more qualified than me, or maybe I'll do them when I have a bit more time. We'll see.

Feel free to add your own btw, and I'll add them.